THR Just a little better every day -- I'll take it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Just a little better every day -- I'll take it!
Oooooo me, too! I vote for a glass of wine anytime over prunes, prune juice, and stool softeners. Just classier somehow :heehee:.
 
Vida -- I doff my cap to that history of yours. I am taking a stroll in the park by comparison to your and others' signature lines. I am still looking for the provider who will allow me to substitute 375ml of generic Malbec for 5mg of Coumadin. Yes, even if it's not reimbursed and I am required to take it daily, with food. I would bear that burden.

A very earthly beginning to this day: I awoke a bit chilled, with just a little pain in That Leg. Enough to think, oh, you've slept through your morning snack of oxy and acetaminophen... and then it went straight from there to far worse than anything felt so far in this whole show. In the space of 20 seconds, it went so bad so smoothly that I realized that it just might keep going, right on up into the so-far-completely conjectural realm of 8-9-10 pain. Up there where you realize that you've never really asked the light of your life that, if it came to it, could you shoot me?

I hollered for help. I raised the household. The dogs joined in. It was quite the ruckus. Herself appeared in 15 seconds, max. "Need two of those pills, now." Gripping mattress, hard. "You startled me; wait, I'm a little shaky, like I might be about to pass out..." "Yeah? Hand me those pills first." I swallowed two, never mind the clock (I was actually an hour early). Amy landed hard near the foot of the bed, sitting upright; she was still with us. Cat-of-the-moment looked offended.

Breathe deep. Take notes, you'll need to tell someone: feels like tight bands around the bottom of the thigh, around the knee, burning pain in the top of the thigh, some but not great swelling -- clearly down from yesterday's. Nothing moves right or left, but a little up and down movement is possible; knee and ankle and foot move fine. "How are my toes?" "Color is good." "Do they feel cold?" "No." I wiggled them so easily that I thought I could probably play a little piano. (Note to self: get a little piano. Try not to giggle at private jokes in the middle of what might be a crisis; it dilutes the message.) A little pressure-sensitivity to the thigh, but not much. I'm shivering. Slight fever or is it just cold in here? "Find the nurses' number, please." "Do you want to call her?" "[!!] Well, I thought I might." Cold sweat now. "Maybe I should call?" "That works." No drainage, no bleeding, not getting any worse.

The after-hours nurse took some particulars and promised that the case nurse would call back soon. Good time to tweak the thermostat. Good as her word, the case nurse called in five minutes.

After answering a few questions (the incision is fine, that's not it...) I asked if I might get right to my worry: how can I eliminate deep vein thrombosis? If it isn't that, we can all calm down and figure it out later; if it is, then you can start the helicopter. I mean, I'm only 5 days post-op, so I realize that all kinds of things could still hurt and be "new." Check this, check that. Done and already done. Try this other thing. OK, then I don't think it's DVT. Maybe a cramp induced by position or cold or electrolytes -- maybe you did too much with it yesterday? (Likely.) Or moved wrong in your sleep. Did the pain pills work? Yes and very well, too -- I was back to just rattled and sore.

All in all, it was a painful test of the support system and more reassuring to me than not. But let's not try it again. I'll see the nurse in person Monday A.M. for a routine visit. That should be interesting.

Belts and aides to get into bed: Tried a looped belt, but yes, it threatened to pull my leg right across the mid-line. Later, I looped a long towel and held it in the hand on the operated side, and THAT worked reasonably well. Needs practice to be smooth, but it works. Thanks.
 
Hi Stargazer,

Like everyone else, I enjoy your humour and hope you are doing well. I am set to have RTHR on 6th March so I am reading your experiences closely and I have to say you've made me realise that I've thought about my operation too simplistically. My point of view has been it's all good from here. It can only get better after the op. I guess I hadn't thought of the many hours from the op to when I'm not in pain again.

Xanthe:thankyou:
 
Aw, stargazer, I feel for you. Most of us have been in your shoes. Overdone some simple movements while drunk on post-op hubris; missed an opiate dose (a huge mistake at your stage of recovery;) bent the new hip out of shape while trying get up off the loo; whacked aside a cat that just leaped onto the bed and stomped on the scar; or maybe jiggled things around too much while trying to wiggle the 'log' in or out of our fat pants. Stick a bunch of ice on it, elevate the darned thing and watch some rubbish on tv. But most of all, make sure your pain pills are cutting it. You will soon be required to to do some hellish maneuvers by a well-meaning physiotherapist, so stay ahead of the pain because it sucks even more trying to play catch up. And thanks for the kind words but there are loads of folk worse off than me in these parts.

I can promise you that next week will be a whole new ball game, it really does keep getting better and better. Do continue posting, you give us all a much-needed giggle. Not because you are sore mind you but because of the charming way in which you describe your personal journey. Meanwhile I'll raise a glass of pinot in your honour: sadly Malbec gives me a migraine. Now thanks to you, I just remembered I should be in Argentina right now but we canceled because I wasn't quite ready to do a 20-hour journey through 3 airports and lurch around the broken sidewalks of Buenos Aires dodging dog poo after sampling local vino and eating a massive steak. Oh we'll, there is always next year!
 
Hi Stargazer,
Yep those first several days are surreal and rough to say the least. It does get better :)
 
Met my real (as opposed to starter) nurse and physical therapists this morning. Everybody is pleased as punch with how it's all working out so far. Myself included. I keep waiting for something to hurt, and so far I have been repeatedly left waiting.

Xanthe, I'm afraid our outlooks for the post-op side of things may be so divergent that I can be of little use in shaping your intentions and expectations. My bad hip never really hurt on the pre-op side of life (it just didn't work), so I concentrated and worried about exactly the opposite set of concerns from yours: was I trading a limited but pain-free existence for a few or several weeks of mind-blowing agony followed by fewer limitations? And if so, would it still be a good trade? So far, the deal has been much sweeter than I expected (tho more bitter than you might have imagined): I've traded a limited and slowly worsening condition for a temporarily more limited but rapidly improving condition; pain worth the name as been nowhere in the balance. It's been closer to the trouble-free recovery of your expectations than to the agonizing recuperation of my fears; we may both have been a bit unrealistic about life post-op -- happily so in my case. All I can do is chronicle how things are shaking out under my ceiling, and other hippies can use my experience to guide their own hopes and dreads, or ignore my rattlings, whatever seems wiser.

My PT *did* show me a way to get into bed! Since I have only the one artificial joint and decent strength in both legs, I can hook my right foot behind my left ankle (AAHH-OOO-GAHHH! Really? Yes, really, she said, briefly, carefully, occasionally...) and use my right leg to help lift and guide my left into bed while I lean back as usual to take up my sleeping position. Then shift both legs into positions consistent with the usual protocols. Works like a charm as long as the hip precaution alarm bells don't scare me away. YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY. Also, we measured my ranges of motion and I am relieved to find that the only way I can even threaten the 90-degree rule would be by falling down or by pitching forward with some determination from a seated position. Under my own volition, I can barely choose to get within 20 degrees of a right angle. That will change (and probably rather quickly, she says), so don't bank on not being able to violate the rule. Just don't. Finally for today, permission granted to use the golfer's reach whenever it feels appropriate and safe. Good... I didn't mention that I'd never actually given it up. Good night, All, from North Carolina.
 
Congratulations Stargazer on making it to the other side. Your writing is very great and entertaining. I work in advertising and partner with many writers and you rank right up there. Your reports are frankly great, will follow your posts eagerly. Wishing you less pain everyday. I'll be joining the recovery side in a week.
 
Oh and Vida, I do miss Chardonnay, had to give that up when the pain meds came into play. Something to look forward to
 
@Stargazer, Just thought I would send you the best suggestion I found for getting in and out of bed easily. Buy some satin sheets from Overstock and get some silky PJ bottoms. You will find it's like gliding into bed instead of fighting the sandpaper sheets. It really does make a difference. I bought some satin sheets for about $20 at Overstock. Make sure you slide to the middle of the bed so you don't fall out in the middle of the night. A friend that has had multiple surgery on her knees and hips suggested this, it works wonders.
 
Well done on the getting out of bed function stargazer! Sounds like you are well on your way to a better life. Golfers reach - forgot all about that one! :yes!: I learned that long ago when I had spinal surgery and been doing it ever since! Just be sure to hold onto something to steady yourself if you don't have the strength in your legs to get up gracefully.
 
Satin sheets and silk pajamas. They told me it'd be several weeks until... oh, wait, sorry. Seems like that would work great and it sure beats the Rube Goldberg sketches I was seeing full of pulleys and slings, air compressors, shoehorns on roller skates, and little battery powered winches. Never could figure out how the fishhooks and magnets should be mounted. Thanks!

Jaycey, there is always that thought in the back of the mind that if you're not prepared to stand there like Ben Hogan picking up his ball on the 18th for a few hours until somebody happens by to rescue you that you really shouldn't do it. But sometimes you just have to live life on the edge. It says something when wiping up spilled milk with a paper towel feels like the act of a renegade (I try not to listen to whatever it is).

Designergirl, thanks for the kind review. C'mon in! It's a lot less angst-ridden on this side of the O.R. -- it's almost fun.
 
Hi stargazer, I love your writing too. Wish I could offer some encouragement, but like you, I'm in the midst of the balancing act of the first week postop, and only hope that things keep getting better. I hope the same for you.
 
Loved the bedding suggestion luluohio The very thought of doped-up, post-op hipsters doing leg lifts and ankle pumps, while sliding around in satin sheets, made me giggle. Before I found Bonesmart I came across a Q and A thread on another site. A woman had written: "It is now a week after my surgery, I am still in a lot of pain and taking medication. Today my husband suggested it was time to resume 'relations.' What should I do?" As you can imagine, the answers were hilarious (and quite varied) but most commenters simply suggested she ''divorce the bum." I wonder if her satin sheets gave him 'ideas?'
 
Vida Well I'm sure it would have taken care of some of her stretching, and it might have made her leg lifts easier. That's what they call passive exercises. Who needs PT? Satin sheets and silk PJ's so many uses.....
 
Well done SG, sounds like you are progressing very well... we had lots of discussion around my surgery time and the good leg hooked under the operated leg works like a charm.. great when one passes these milestones, they may seem little to some folk, but they are big milestones in the scheme of joint replacement recovery - well done :)
 
The dogs wanted out out out out out out this morning now now now now now and it's really for the best if they get their wish right away when doing that toe-tappity thing on the hardwood floor (only 8 legs, so how can they sound like Riverdance without rhythm?). Was halfway to the front door before I realized I'd reverted to pre-op habits and grabbed my cane rather than a walker (one walker was just out of arm's reach in the dark bedroom, the other has become my defacto computer desk). When I realized what I was doing, I felt a little like Wiley Coyote walking on air just before The Fall, but my stroll in the open air came to a happier end. I've been using the cane all day, 95% of the time. I feel steady -- and almost suave.

Not that all is perfect. I'm working up a good itch. Small red bumps, not so small itching. It's possible to ignore the itching if the mind stays busy, also if I can get to sleep, but that transition period is perilous. Today's nurse thinks it's from the Percocet, but a contending theory says it's from the lack of Percocet (from 2 tabs every 4 hours last week, I'm down to 1 tablet every 6 hours today; pain is well controlled, my scratching fingers not so much), so either I need more to counter some minor withdrawal reaction or I need less. I don't think I've been on it long enough to be even a cut-rate Percocet junkie, so I favor the latter theory. What do I know? First, a Benedryl. I've been OK'd to try that, so that's tonight's medical experiment. Post-op visit with the main clinic Monday and then maybe we will know more. It's early, but I have some hope that I can move to a non-opioid med. Stay tuned for tonight's sports and the weather. Judy, what do you have for our viewers?
 
Wow, how interesting about the itch. I was on Percs for 8 months, just a low dose, and I weaned off around week 9 post-surgery. A week later I had a reall odd, itchy rash on both legs. I went to a GP, who asked me what I was taking. Of course I didn't twig it might have been perc related so I said 'nothing.' Benadryl hadn't worked so she gave me a prescription strength zirtec, which did. It was an infuriating couple of weeks and made hot tubbing a little uncomfortable. Let us know if it turns out to be a drug weaning issue.....
 
Stargazer, pure coconut oil is fantastic for the 'itching' and 'rashes'. It is extremely nutritive to the body, even being absorbed topically.
 
Thanks, gang. Vida, for the itching I'll start with OTC Zirtec in deference to your experience (and keep the Benedryl, which knocks me loopy, in reserve). And Poppet; coconut oil tomorrow then after I write it onto the never-ending grocery list; cocoa butter is in hand and will try that tonight (eh? because it sounds alike, that's why).
 
No, pure coconut oil is not the same as cocoa butter, different properties, may have some additives whereas coconut oil is pure. Good luck :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom