TKR July 9 ready to recover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to comment that my heart goes out to all those that are having great struggles with this procedure. All this stress about ROM . I think mine was 58 when I left the hospital. I have had 2 PT sessions so far and ROM was not measured or discussed. So I feel like I have really had the advantage of following the bonesmart way
 
All this stress about ROM
Many of the PT's are quite the quantitative people---aren't they? Fascinated by numbers! You are correct, though---let them worry about the numbers---you just keep on keepin' on---take care of yourself and do what you are doing---and, at the end of the recovery road, when you reach your destination, you will have achieved all that you could eve have wished for.
 
Had a tough night last night woke up at 2 am. In pain. Took a roxicodone and got an ice pack. Finally fell back to sleep and woke up at 6am. Got more ice. alarm went off at 7 cause PT was coming at 8:00. Not. Happy knee kinda hurting. PT came. Did our work out and moved from walker to cane!!! Yea. Progress

Then the nurse came to remove stitches. Ouch man that hurt more than I thought. He said the skin was beginning to heal over the staple. On the upside incision was clean and dry.
Feeling much better this afternoon.
 
Sorry to hear you had a bad night, Charlie. :sad: Good to hear that your staples were removed. You will feel better now that you don't have to worry about those stinking staples. :) Good to also hear that you felt better this afternoon.:)

Take care :flwrysmile:
 
This recovery bit is indeed much like a roller coaster ride---good days, not-so-good days, some nights you can sleep---others are real boogers. I am glad to read that you are feeling better, though!
 
Yeah. Shower day!!!!!! Last night not too bad woke up once at2 am took 1 roxicotin and a bag of ice. Pulled me thru the night. Delayed taking my long acting oxycotin in hopes of scaling down to Norco. I took it around 1 pm and and have not supplemented anything else. Feeling good pain wise.
 
PT came today. Worked the hardest so far. Not to the point of pain but whew! Took a walker to corner with the cane. Ps corner has a slight incline and you really feel the difference. He added afew new knee bending exercises today and reminded me to work at the same intensity level when I do them on my own. ( opps I guess I'm busted lol). We also practiced getting in and out of my car ,passenger side, and I did soooooo much better than when I left the hospital 2 weeks ago. we have a wedding to go to On Sunday but its about 1 1/2 to hour car ride. My son is in the wedding party and I adore the young man getting married. I have not been out at all since surgery so I am trying to decided if it is too much to tackle. I am feeling pretty confident with my mobility and I think I have a decent handle on the pain. I would love some input on this decision. What else do I need to consider?

Oh and my PT came at 8:00 and I forgot he was coming so I was not premedicated and got thru it. I took some Tylenol as soon as he left and dragged out the ice. Then time to report in to my bonesmart friends!
 
Hi Charlie,

You're doing well, my dear! :)

As for the pending trip, make sure you have some ice to ice your knee while you are gone. Also move your knee and make sure you at least make one stop to stretch. One and a half hours is quite some time to sit in a vehicle. I took a one hour trip at four weeks and made sure that I was bending and icing. I took a gel pack in a cooler filled with ice in a one gallon ziplock bag. Others may have better ideas, but this is what I did. When I sat, I placed my leg in the chair beside me. This may not be very lady like but I really didn't care and everyone who saw me understood. I was wearing pants.

Have a wonderful day! :flwrysmile:
 
Charlie, does your car have a rear seat? If so, the dignity of the following procedure is not at a high level.

Sheet of plastic - e.g. binbag - on the back seat. Enter backwards, butt onto plastic. Someone strong pulls the plastic from the inside, sliding you into the vehicle. You can then ride with your leg straight along the seat, a little bent across the back seat and down to the floor, or normal style.
 
Thank Roy I had not considered the back seat. But with my pile of pillows that could work so I don't have to keep my leg bent for that long. That is actually one of my concerns I do very little settling in a chair with my legs down. I am either in a recliner leg up or in bed in living room sitting up as well. My knee swells a bit and the back of my knee. But I am not seeing the ankle and foot swelling like I did when I first came home.

Funny thing my nurse at the hospital told me his story of weight loss and his health scare. As I can afford to lose quite a bit myself he said watch when yo go home your gonna lose 10 lbs easy. After being home for a few days I stepped on the scale and nearly died. UP TEN POUNDS! What!?!? First thought was how much does this new knee weigh. Lol. Then I thought ok. Swelling equals pounds. A week later got on scale again DOWN 12 lbs. whew Ok Charlie you can stay hehe. That dang water really is heavy. I think I will stay away from scale for a while!
 
I took a 90 minute drive yesterday to the Dr. and sat in the front seat with my leg down. WRONG! The rest of the time and the road back, I was in the back seat elevating and icing, and it still took til this morning to get rid of all the swelling from that first 90 minutes.
 
Hi Charlie,

I wish I lost 10 pounds when I got home. I did lose some but have gained it back. I guess I found my shovel again! :heehee: Good to hear that you lost 12 pounds if you are happy with it.! :dancy:

Take care! :flwrysmile:
 
Just wondering if anyone knows when I might be able to go Ina warm water pool. I think it would feel really good but not sure about infection etc. I may speak to my OS in a week or so when it may be a reality. Has any one done hydro therapy and what are your thoughts?
Thanks all
 
Hi Charlie,

I was instructed by my OS to wait until after the staples were taken out, the steri strips had fallen off and my scabs were gone before entering my swimming pool. I have been in my swimming pool a couple of times. It feels great if you don't over stretch like I did while I was in the first time. Walking in the water and doing some of the exercises that are done on your bed or standing are much easier to do in the water.
 
I had another tough night I tried sleeping in my bed instead of the twin bed in the living room. The problem is I am a side sleeper and every time I get in my bed I keep trying to roll to my side. I have used pillows to support my knee but it hurts after a few minutes. I was very restless and I could see my husband getting disturbed. He suggested Tylenol pm. I had never taken them so I tried 1. It seemed to calm me down a bit but I hate sleeping on my back in my bed. On the twin bed I am fairly propped up when I sleep on my back out there. Woke up around 3. Took a pain pill and got ice.woke up around6:30 and HAD to get up. So I moved to the recliner. I slept till about 8:00. But my knee was really tender. I think it was from all the tossing and turning.

So a few q's for you at what point were you able to sleep on your side comfortably. With or without pillows? Also ,,thoughts about using Tylenol PM. May sound silly but I am concerned about relying on them. ( hmm. Where was the concern about relying on narcotics lol) different. I know
Thanks for your great feedback
 
My knee Charlie I'm still not sleeping well. Better but not well. I'm at almost 4 weeks and it's only this last week I've been able to lie on my side for any period of time. I did have both knees done so this may make a difference. I don't have a good side.
We all complain about not being able to get a full nights sleep but this may be a good thing. One night I slept for 6 hours and I lay in the same position all night. The next morning was murder! I had stiffened up so much and suffered greatly. I think the tossing , turning and getting up keeps me loose and lessens the morning stiffness and pain.
Wanda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom