TKR July 9 ready to recover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey My knee Charlie,

PT gets better. :yes: It is your first time for outpatient PT. Pool time is wonderful for you! :SUNsmile: I would also suggest something like BioFreeze or Icy Hot for your quads. That works for me when they have me working hard on my quads. I have such a weak right quad from 35 years of not working it as I should. Now that I am working on the quad it tends to ouch sometimes. I have read on this site some stating that they used heat on their quads and ice on their knee(s). It sounds as if things are moving along for you! :)

Have a wonderful evening! Take care :flwrysmile:
 
Went to PT again today quads a bit sore. And knee a little stiff but no bad. I used the bicycle for about 5 minutes. Make s you feel like progress is being made. Did a few of the strengthing exercises. All in all felt good. Quads actually fel better after PT
 
Absolutely AWESOME, Charlie! Glad you are starting to see things getting better. You will get sore with exercise, but after a while it goes away. Sounds like you have a good sore instead of a pain sore.:dancy:
 
Heading back to work on Wednesday Hope it won't be too tough. I was shopping yesterday and was completely exhausted when I got home. So work should be interesting!
 
Hi all. Life got really busy since going back to work I have been at work for a week and a half now. I will say it gets better each day. So glad I started back mid week rather than a Monday. I am continuing PT 2 times a week . Having a hard time doing my home PT I am just too tired.

I know I am not fully recovered yet but since I am back to a normal routine I feel like I should be back up to par. It's very hard to comprehend I still need more time.
Pain is well managed. I take tylenol when needed and an occasional Norco at bedtime. I really only ice after PT. and I have very little swelling . I definitely count myself among the lucky! I just need to be patient with getting stronger.
My PT says I am doing really well my Rom and flex are good and even if I never got more I am fully functioning. We are working on strengthening now. And going up and down stairs
 
That is an awesome update. I am so happy for you Charlie. Keep up the good work.


Sent from my presidential platinum ODIC iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Charlie, so glad to hear you are doing well! I had my surgery July 3 so we are pretty near the same place in recovery. I finished PT Friday and see the OS Monday for my twelve-week check-up and hope he agrees. I am like you in that I have days where I think I am done but the knee says "Not yet". I continue to have quite a bit of swelling and pay for it when I overdo! My extension has been at 0 since the first week or so but flex has been harder to obtain. I am currently at 115 and the PT thinks I will gain a little more as time goes on and the swelling decreases. The doctor's original goal was 130, but I think 120 will be good enough for me. My non-operated knee is only 120, so I will settle for a matched set! I see a lot of non-measureable progress. I still have a ways to go with getting up from a chair but it is improving every day. This has not been an easy journey, has it? I remind myself that it could have been a lot worse. I am thankful for all the help along the way: a supportive family, good medical care, excellent physical therapists, and my friends and supporters on Bonesmart!
 
Hi DS and Carolina Girl, I had my TKR on July 9th so we are all in the same place :). I return back to work Oct 3, I am sure everything will be different once I go back to work. I was able to leave PT at 9 weeks out with 0 extension (that too was from week 1) and 124 flex. I need to rebuild my strength more than anything. My job although is a part time job (three days a week) has me on my feet 9 hours a day. I see my OS next week hope he is as pleased as I am, most days I forget which knee was the TKR knee. It seems like my left knee has become more and more the bad knee.

Last week at the grocery store an elderly gentleman asked me if I could bend in the cooler to get some butter for him. It wasn't until I was getting up did I realize I had just stooped :yay: pretty amazing in my book.

You both take care
 
Whimsy. The first week act work is hard. Especially if you are on you feet. Be kind to yourself on our days off
 
sounds like you're doing ok. If you're back to work (how many weeks out are you?) you probably need to ice and elevate when you get home more than you need to worry about exercises.
 
Any room in the overdiditclub? I had a really long day at work yesterday 7am to 8:30 pm. With a break for PT from 4 to 5 pm. Way way too much walking. Bending my knee was rather trying today. Went to work with an ice pack and a limp. My boss told me I could only work half a day then go home and rest. Normally I would say oh it's ok. I can stay. Not today. Came home put foot up. Lots of ice and a 2 hour nap! Whew. I really needed that!
 
ODIC members need to shread their cards. I swipped both of my ODIC cards one in each hand yesterday and regretting it all day long today. I am glad to hear that you were allowed to go home early to elevate your knee. :SUNsmile: It will help you tremendously. I had a simular day as your yesterday on yesterday. I just couldn't make myself go to work today. :mcoffee: Both legs were aching (sciatica and TKR) and I just didn't have it in me. :hairpulling: Must have been in the water or the phase of the moon or something.

I hope you got some good rest today! Take care! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Charlie,

How are you doing now. I've been thinking about you and hope you are feeling better. ODIC is overrated. LOL


Sent from my presidential platinum ODIC iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I am doing so much better thanks. How about you. I got to swim today and that always make me feel better.
 
Hi all. I am back and need some advise. My new knee is doing really well. Md said no restrictions. Just go for it. So my pool opened up and i hit the water . I was water walking and running in place jumping etc for about an hour. My other knee was a little stiff. But afew hours later after sitting on couch I tried to get up and could not walk on it Oh boy. I rested got out the the crutches and ice packs that a was Sunday. On Tuesday I saw my surgeon and he said. Lots of arthritis ( I knew that) and patella tendinitis he said rest ice and PT with ultrasound The problem is. I still can't walk on it. Anyone know what I should expect? Whatever I read on line does not really mention much about weight bearing. I'm kind of frustrated Thanks for your thoughts
 
Welcome back---sadly, though, on a tough note for you---we will do our best to get things straightened out for you.

If there is a great deal of arthritis, then I would imagine that the clock is ticking toward you getting a "matching set" of knees.

IF the patella tendonitis is bothering you---the less you do and the more you ice and work with anti-inflammatories, the better---but tendonitis an be a booger in itself---it can take some time to go away.

Where exactly is your pain? The patella tendonitis is in the front---do you have other pain, as well?
 
Yes it is the front of the knee that hurts. But the biggest concern I have is not being able to walk on it I am using crutches with a great deal of pain. Have been resting and icing since Sunday Tylenol for pain allergic to aspirin so I don't really have any anti inflammatory options I'm just so worried that nearly 3 days in walking is no easier. I wish I knew what a realistic expectation is. I know matching knees are in my future. But hopefully the FUTURE thanks for your feedback
 
Tendonitis can be a nasty booger---sometimes it take complete rest and icing and anti-inflammatories to help out.

I will tag @Josephine, as she can help you out with other meds---Tylenol is great for pain, but does very little for inflammation.
 
My new knee is doing really well. Md said no restrictions. Just go for it. So my pool opened up and i hit the water. I was water walking and running in place jumping etc for about an hour. But a few hours later after sitting on couch I tried to get up and could not walk on it. On Tuesday I saw my surgeon and he said. Lots of arthritis ( I knew that) and patella tendinitis he said rest ice and PT with ultrasound The problem is. I still can't walk on it. But the biggest concern I have is not being able to walk on it I am using crutches with a great deal of pain. Have been resting and icing since Sunday Tylenol for pain allergic to aspirin so I don't really have any anti inflammatory options I'm just so worried that nearly 3 days in walking is no easier.
Oh brother! When your surgeon said 'go for it' I don't think that for one moment he would have expected you to go that mad! What were you thinking when you still had a bad knee?

What you've done is get a severe case of bone-on-bone inflammation with a locked knee which is a seriously disabling and painful condition. It's very understandable that this would only appear after a long-ish rest as bone oedema and inflammation takes a while to get started.

Let me explain this in a little more detail. Arthritis has the effect of making our joints crumble like an old concrete step.

[Bonesmart.org] July 9 ready to recover


It breaks down, creating lots of grit and debris. Generally this stays in the pouches at the side of the joint but every so often, a bit gets into the weight bearing part of the joint and then we get that extreme pain and can't bear weight on the leg at all! Pain killers do nothing, nor do things like braces. We are just conscious of this horrible burning pain that may, all of a sudden, go away! Or it may stay for days or even weeks. In those cases, the joint is most likely locked as the irregular bone surfaces have interlocked together.

[Bonesmart.org] July 9 ready to recover
[Bonesmart.org] July 9 ready to recover


I wish I knew what a realistic expectation is.
It's impossible to say. It is by its very nature unpredictable. It might suddenly abate in a few days or it might last for weeks. The only thing to can do now is to baby it intensively, take pain meds, ice, elevate and rest completely and hope. And then never do anything like that again!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom