TKR Jozilla Part 2 - 9/8/14 LTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to have my granddaughter spend the whole weekend with me! First time since November I was able to do that! She is 11 and a great age. We played board games and have had a movie marathon going since Friday! She also loves HGTV home design channel so it has been restful and busy in a different way!
 
Hi Jozilla,
I have read your thread, it sounds as though you are doing very well. You are still quite early in healing and I am sure you will find the next three months will see steady progress.
Take it easy now you are back at work. I hope you get a suitable date for knee two. Hopefully it will go well for you. Both my knees were different but I was very fortunate to have good recoveries with both.
Hugs Toothfairy x
 
Hi Toothfairy - I see my OS at the end if March. I will talk to him then about the other knee but I am thinking September. That will be nine months apart. I really don't want to spend my summer in recovery. The downside is my unoperated knee hurts way more than my tkr knee at the moment.

I am fortunate too my first knee went so well. I am almost afraid to have the other one done but will. I will just try and keep a positive attitude which I think really helped me.

Work is going well and I am back to working full time at 12 weeks. I am an office manager and my job is not physically demanding so I am lucky that way. They are however trying to institute new policies which may cause me to change my surgery date. The main one being you are not allowed more than 8 weeks off for any period of disability or you lose your job. FMLA does not apply as we have under 50 employees. It seems like this should not be legal but probably is being we are a small business. So while they are working on a new employee manual and many changes it will probably take awhile to finalize everything.

Thanks for visiting! I wish you continued healing and success!!

JoAnne
 
4 weeks and working hard !!!!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Jozilla Part 2 - 9/8/14 LTKR
    ImageUploadedByBoneSmart®1393940882.995593.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 148
Thanks for this form I have my right one to do in May Hail to all that had yours bilaterally !!!
 
The downside is my unoperated knee hurts way more than my tkr knee at the moment.
Oh @Jozilla, I could have written that, I am one month behind you, my operated knee is doing well but the other one started to really play up. Last week I had it injected to buy some time, and luckily it seems to have worked. I do hope your recovery continues to go well and your non operated knee behaves itself.
 
I had a visit with my OS today for my 12 week checkup. All is great with my tkr knee but I am going back in June to start getting ready for the left. Last time it took over two months so that is what I am hoping for - a date the end of August or in September. I did not want to lose my whole summer to recovery!

My extension is zero and my rom is 135. He said that exceeded his expectation for my knee. I couldn't be happier. I just hope the next one goes as well!!

It sounds like there will be several of us having their second knee done around then as well as Josephine!

Good luck @Ellejay hope your knee holds up for awhile!
 
You'll do great Jozilla! Have a terrific summer and then you'll be all set for round 2! Congrats on such great flexion & extension numbers!!
 
Thank you DogLoverx3. Just in case this recovery takes me longer I want to enjoy some nice weather!!
 
Makes good sense! With the winter you've had, you deserve to enjoy some good summer months and get some fun in ahead of time!
 
Hi Jo ...
I have just surfaced from moving, sore knees and being back at work.
It is great that you have a sort of plan going for your other knee. I see my OS in April for 6 month check-up and am hoping maybe I can get the second one done in late June this year. I really can't see me getting much quality of life until the right knee is done as well.
It was great that you could have your granddaughter for a weekend and how much fun it sounded. Your ROM is fantastic. That's what dreams are made of for me. I honestly think I must have done something wrong during recovery to end up with such little bend (too much elevating and icing and not enough pushing), but there have been signs of very slow improvement, so fingers crossed. If I had my time again, I would definitely request a bilateral replacement, especially seeing as how we knew the right knee already needed replacing.
I see the weather has been foul again in the US - you certainly have had some cold this year. Hopefully your summer is the exact opposite and is sunny, warm and bright for you all.
I better go over and update my thread.
Take Care Jo ... Hugs ... Ellen
 
Forgot to say thanks so much Jo for visiting my thread and wishing me all the best on my move. I really appreciate it. xoxo
 
Hi Jozilla I'm the same as you right knee has got to be done but like you I want to enjoy the summer, I plan on January, but will have to see how it goes,great that your tkr knee is so godd
 
@YiaYia @NetballKnees - I think January would be the perfect time. I am doing mine earlier because once again they are threatening changes to my healthcare at the end of this year. I figure if it is done no later than September at least I know i will have great healthcare coverage for the surgery and PT. And I want to enjoy Christmas this year!

For me I think I would have had a breakdown having a BTKR. They are the brave members of Bonesmart! I actually had anxiety as it was just not being able to move quick enough and feeling like I was trapped physically. I was fortunate that I was pretty mobile in a couple of weeks and continued progressing. My biggest worry is my blood as I became very anemic and my platelets dropped very low after surgery. The fatigue was horrendous. I did find a product called Blood Builder on Amazon which is terrific. I have been taking it since surgery and this time will keep taking it. It is made from beet roots very high in iron, b12, folate and C. It doesn't bother your stomach the way iron does. Can you imagine being constipated from iron supplements and pain killers??? That is more than I can think about!

At 12 weeks I feel much better. I can start thinking about the other knee and then hopefully get on with a more active life. We like to camp, hike and walk a lot as well as fishing and crabbing. Last year I didn't do much of any of that and will see how it goes this year.

Ellen sounds like all is going well with your move and you are settling in.

Yiayia - we will be here when you get your second knee done too! There are a lot of us thinking about the "other" knee now. We will have lots of support!
 
Hi @Jozilla, thank you for your kind comments about my dinner plate yesterday, it is nice to have a proper family dinner each week. The rest of the week we eat in front of the TV, but on Sundays, when we are home and not travelling, my daughter visits and we have a special meal.

At 12 weeks I feel much better. I can start thinking about the other knee and then hopefully get on with a more active life. We like to camp, hike and walk a lot as well as fishing and crabbing. Last year I didn't do much of any of that and will see how it goes this year.

I was so glad to read your comment, we are also very much outdoor people, I am so looking forward to enjoying this summer. I just need to be able to ride my bike and I will feel that my recovery is complete.
 
Morning @Ellejay I can't wait for spring let alone summer. It had been a horrid winter here and I am looking forward to the 50s we are supposed to get this week! We have a beautiful permanent camper we go to about three hours away. I am looking forward to being able to use it on a few weeks

We also try and have a nice meal on Sunday! I don't think my plate matches up though! Thanks for sharing!

JoAnne coxoxo
 
Hi Nana moon 27. I am doing a little better tonight. Went to my GP Friday and had to have a bunch if blood tests today. Will hopefully hear in a few days if all is well. I just had a very bad case of the stomach virus which has totally wiped out any reserve energy I had. Hopefully it has passed and I can start gaining my strength. Certainly my biggest issue with this surgery has been the fatigue! I read about your "trip" today and certainly hope you are doing okay and can enjoy the gardens tomorrow! I am planning on a short shopping outing and then more rest. Hopefully us kneesies are all going to enjoy our summer this year!!! We certainly deserve it! I will catch up tomorrow - sweet dreams!
 
Oh @Jozilla I'm so glad you're getting sorted and feeling a little better. Onwards and upwards now hooray! Xoxoxoxo love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom