TKR Josephine's knee story

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a corollary to Murphy's law that says something like, if things are going well when you don't really need them to, they will go ill when you really need them to go well! :lol:
Sorry last night was a bear, perhaps a little nap today? Zzzzzz


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Sorry you're having such a bumpy ride this time, Jo! :console2:
You're living the proof that no two knees are alike - and it's not much fun!
Is it possible that, before surgery, this second knee was in worse condition than the first knee?

I'm glad to hear that the Gabapentin is helping. Maybe things will smooth out when you're on the full dose. I do hope so.
 
perhaps a little nap today?
Indeed! Slept from 2pm till 5.30. Loverly! :sleeep:
Is it possible that, before surgery, this second knee was in worse condition than the first knee?
You hit it right on the button, Caryl! Shaun said it was bone-on-bone in October 2012 and wanted to do it then but since I was asymptomatic, I declined. So consequence was that I ended up needing a patellar button.

Now when you do that in a nice big fat knee, it's a problem. The skin, quads ligament and other tissues have to be folded back (see picture) so he can get to the patella. In a nice skinny knee it's easy but the more fat there is the tougher the flap is to fold over and the more likely it is to keep flipping back which causes a lot of stress/trauma to the area, including the nerves which, as you can see, are many at that point.

[Bonesmart.org] Josephine's knee story
[Bonesmart.org] Josephine's knee story


I think this is what may have happened to me as the skin tore about 2.5cms at the bottom of the incision which was an additional trauma.

However, on the plus side, I did lose about 20lbs between July 2014 and the surgery! So that would have made it a smidgen easier!
 
That makes perfect sens, Jo - unfortunately for your comfort.
 
Thank you for asking, Chris, but no. It's plateaued out and though it's now roughly 40% less than it is during the day, at night it's a nightmare. I have to keep my leg out of bed as the duvet stokes the furnace, so to speak. But I can only stay like that by laying on my back so it's a toss-up between sore knee or sore back! Usually the knee wins!

So I took the advice of a US doctor on www.justanswer.co.uk and explained my problems to him. I got an almost answer and very detailed and fulsome advice but the bit I really didn't want to hear was that there was a risk that this could develop into complex regional pain syndrome :shocked: :sos: NOOOOOO! Not that this hasn't been rolling around in the back of my brain but being told it is a whole other thing! However, he also said I was on a very small dose of gabapentin and it should be increased weekly until it took effect. He also said I should consider going to a pain clinic as well. Hmmm knowing our pain clinics, you can wait 3-4 months for an appointment! But I shall hold it in consideration. This is the third time I've used this website (once to speak to a vet!) and have always had excellent advice and information.
 
Hi @Josephine I bought myself an old fashioned hospital bed-cradle ( from Amazon, natch) and it keeps the duvet from lying heavily on my legs. Sometimes I wear a pair of loose fitting socks if my feet get chilly but it works a treat and it's nice and cool round the leg . I have been on Gabapentin, built up to 300mg tds over a week, as intructed. Been on it a month (am 6 weeks out now) but not too sure I like the potential side effects so am going to come off it. Hopefully it's done its job, so watch this space. Hope you get some relief, but do try the bed-cradle.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I use a bed cradle too every night and have done so for over 3 years since the original TKR. If I spend a night away from home it always goes with me.
 
Thanks for your suggestions, ladies. If it's going to take 3+ months, think I'd better follow suit!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine oh my. If 'twere me, I'd get on the books at the pain clinic-- sounds like you may have already. Ugh. I am sorry, and hoping it goes better!
@Fancypants my iPhone shows me all the extra info if I tap the avatar pic.


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Jo, I had the patella button put in and as you know, I was quite a bit heavier than you! All my problems are sorting out nicely!:happydance: I am having a 5 year check up on the left knee to see if the spacer has worn down though. I have relied on it so much!
 
Well, latest report: I saw another doctor at the surgery yesterday. I've seen him before and and kind of like his wry sense of humour but he has a tendency to type as you talk and then he misses things which is both annoying and disconcerting! But he examined my leg thoroughly, which neither of the previous doctors had, and made up his own mind for a change! He decided to increase the gabapentin from 100mg 3 times a day to 300mg twice a day. As a result of this, I had an absolutely fantastic full night's sleep! When I woke, the knee had lost about 90% of the heat that was in it! I hope this continues. I'll let you know.
[Bonesmart.org] Josephine's knee story
 
Happy to read you finally have some relief, glad he took a close look at you, and found a solution.
 
Thought things were too good to last - know I have the trots and am almost too sore to sit! Hooray for Immodium!
Still, the neuropathy is still reducing, thank the Lord.
 
Sorry to hear you are still having so much trouble with your recovery Jo. Hope the new strength of pills works OK. Could they be the reason for the trots though? Sending love and (((HUGS))) Sue xoxoxoxo:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom