TKR Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version

perhaps a little nap today?
Indeed! Slept from 2pm till 5.30. Loverly! :sleeep:
Is it possible that, before surgery, this second knee was in worse condition than the first knee?
You hit it right on the button, Caryl! Shaun said it was bone-on-bone in October 2012 and wanted to do it then but since I was asymptomatic, I declined. So consequence was that I ended up needing a patellar button.

Now when you do that in a nice big fat knee, it's a problem. The skin, quads ligament and other tissues have to be folded back (see picture) so he can get to the patella. In a nice skinny knee it's easy but the more fat there is the tougher the flap is to fold over and the more likely it is to keep flipping back which causes a lot of stress/trauma to the area, including the nerves which, as you can see, are many at that point.

[Bonesmart.org] Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version
[Bonesmart.org] Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version


I think this is what may have happened to me as the skin tore about 2.5cms at the bottom of the incision which was an additional trauma.

However, on the plus side, I did lose about 20lbs between July 2014 and the surgery! So that would have made it a smidgen easier!
 
Thank you for asking, Chris, but no. It's plateaued out and though it's now roughly 40% less than it is during the day, at night it's a nightmare. I have to keep my leg out of bed as the duvet stokes the furnace, so to speak. But I can only stay like that by laying on my back so it's a toss-up between sore knee or sore back! Usually the knee wins!

So I took the advice of a US doctor on www.justanswer.co.uk and explained my problems to him. I got an almost answer and very detailed and fulsome advice but the bit I really didn't want to hear was that there was a risk that this could develop into complex regional pain syndrome :shocked: :sos: NOOOOOO! Not that this hasn't been rolling around in the back of my brain but being told it is a whole other thing! However, he also said I was on a very small dose of gabapentin and it should be increased weekly until it took effect. He also said I should consider going to a pain clinic as well. Hmmm knowing our pain clinics, you can wait 3-4 months for an appointment! But I shall hold it in consideration. This is the third time I've used this website (once to speak to a vet!) and have always had excellent advice and information.
 
Well, latest report: I saw another doctor at the surgery yesterday. I've seen him before and and kind of like his wry sense of humour but he has a tendency to type as you talk and then he misses things which is both annoying and disconcerting! But he examined my leg thoroughly, which neither of the previous doctors had, and made up his own mind for a change! He decided to increase the gabapentin from 100mg 3 times a day to 300mg twice a day. As a result of this, I had an absolutely fantastic full night's sleep! When I woke, the knee had lost about 90% of the heat that was in it! I hope this continues. I'll let you know.
[Bonesmart.org] Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version
 
Happy to read you finally have some relief, glad he took a close look at you, and found a solution.
 
Oh bless you all! The trots appeared to be a one off and unconnected with the medication, thank God!
The neuropathy is settling down very well, leg is almost a normal colour and nearly all the heat has gone. Next question is - how long do I have to keep taking them and will the neuropathy come back when I do.

Yesterday I managed a walk around Sainsburys but when I went to Asda I used a martkart which then went out of charge as I left the check-out to take it back! After this my leg was quite tired so I left the rest of my plans and came home. Hence my absence from the forum on Monday.

But I have to report that I am walking about quite normally now, no limps or anything, and doing stairs normally. No aches or pains most of the time except occasionally at night when I might have to take a couple of paracetamol (Tylenol) but that's not every night. I have told my manager I am available for telephone clinics if the need should arise and can return to work in the beginning of April. Yippee!
 
Well, had a teensy bit of a scare last night. Knee got a bit swollen, painful, red and hot. Couldn't tell if it was the neuropathy, something else or both! Went to see the GP and she said yes it was hot, swollen and red and though she wasn't convinced there was any infection she wasn't prepared to say it for definite. So she wanted me to be seen by my surgeon. She was about to send me to A&E but I wasn't prepared to go on that particular merrygoround and said I'd phone the man direct. She was curious why I hadn't already done so and I explained that I didn't like to take advantage of contacts like that! She said she felt after all the years I'd give to the NHS, I'd earned a few 'strings' to pull and packed me off home to try my luck.

Rang a few places and discovered he was on leave as was his secretary but I spoke to his colleague's secretary, told her my woes and she said she'd have a word with him and see if he'd see me in that afternoon's clinic. She said she'd ring me around lunch time. I thought 'yeah, yeah, that's the last I'll hear of that!' but at 1320 she did ring and asked me if I could get to the hospital by 2pm.

I made that and actually got seen by Shaun's Fellow who examined my knee closely and declared that it was just about the same as any other TKR at 7 weeks! But he did order some bloods, just to be on the safe side! Good man!

He was also in admiration of my 123/0 ROM whereupon I confessed to him that I had done zero exercises. He looked aghast and wanted to know how I'd got that ROM if so and was I going to declare this at the clinic at the end of March when the physio and others would be there. I told him, I can't wait!

So I'm home and relatively happy. Next appointment is with the boss on 31st March.
 
Hi Josephine!
I'm glad your knee scare turned out not to be so bad. :) You were very wise to seek advice, though, and good that you were seen quickly. I hope the blood results come back to show that there is no infection, and then you can completely stop worrying about it.

How's the nerve pain now?

Shaun's Fellow sounds like a good backup for him. Good that he saw you can get great ROM without exercising madly, too.
My OS doesn't believe in a lot of PT - he says none for the first 4 weeks anyway - but he too was surprised when I told him I'd done no PT, just heel slides and walking. My ROM is good, too.
 
Yes, back on the Tramadol in small amounts which appears to be helping thus far. Tomorrow I shall be taking the gabapentin thrice daily instead of twice. I shall be sleeping for the Olympics! :zzz:
 
I would be most surprised if the blood tests show anything! But I have noticed a pattern in these bad days. Each one that has happened seems to have preceded an overall improvement in my condition. So today is much better than it was before these things boiled up! Go figure! Now all I need to do is remember that next time I have a bad day! :heehee:
 
Josephine, you are doing great and you had setbacks at the beginning. It's not been 8 weeks yet!!
 
It has indeed! 8 weeks tomorrow. I've finally conceded the need to go back on some pain meds and am taking 1,000mg paracetamol and 50mg Tramadol at night and 1,000mg paracetamol in the morning. That seems to make things more comfortable.

Latest report:
ROM: 125/-5
Stairs: doing them normally most of the time
Walking stick: only used outside 'just in case'
neuropathy: appears to be under control with the gabapentin
sleeping: soundly!
appetite: okay most of them time!

Anything I've missed?
 
I finally got my phone and my computer talking to each other again - don't know if they've had a falling out or something but it was very inconvenient!

So here is my knee on the 21st Jan just after the staples had been removed.
Narry a pinch or yelp from me - that nurse really knew what she was doing!
I think it looks pretty darned good for 14 days out!

[Bonesmart.org] Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version
 
Forgot to update on here. Blood tests all normal - phew! But I still have a strange soreness across the base of my leg, just above the ankle. I was suspicious it was a resurgence of the cellulitis so went to see the GP. He hummed and haaed about it and finally opined that it was a low level thrombo-phlebitis. I was a bit sceptical but left it at that anyway and this morning, getting plain daylight on it, I had to agree.

Now I had a really severe dose of cellulitis back in 2003 and as it settled down, I noticed I had a really deep pit just above and behind the outer ankle bone. In fact, it was so deep, I could lay my little finger in it. It was mildly purple and an area around it was bright pink indicative of infection/inflammation or something. I was seeing one of the orthopods about the cellulitis and he surmised that this was most likely the cause of the infection, a fairly minor vein had thrombosed and since I'd had a sore throat a few days before, quite likely the bugs had settled in the clot.

So imagine my surprise this morning to see that I had a similarly depressed area, now darkly coloured and the area around it being bright pink. I asked when in hospital if they wanted to know about this episode of cellulitis 12 years ago and they dismissed it as inconsequential ................... NOT!

So now I ask myself, was this the cause of the cellulitis I had after the surgery.
I think I was lucky to get away with it!



Another sad tale: GP decided I should have some compression stockings for the cellulitis but my leg was so swollen (and I'm big anyway) it had to be custom made ones. But - I had no-one to measure me. Eventually a nurse turned up at the door to do that. She had no idea what was really needed and didn't even have a chart to fill in. Luckily I did so I gave her one and then had to explain how she filled it in! Measurements done, now she wanted to know what she should do with it! I told her the pharmacist had the prescription (his shop is attached to the surgery) so she should give it to him so he could send it off to the firm.

This was on Feb 2nd. Yesterday, I called in for something and was just about to ask if the stockings had come in yet when she waved a prescription at me and asked what should she do with it! It was my stocking prescription, dated January 27th! They hadn't had the form! I went into the surgery - they hadn't had it either and knew nothing about it. I'd have to phone the District Nurses and find out what she's done with it. I was supposed to hear today but no go!

Looks very much like I'm going to have to have these measurements done all over again!

:tantrum: :banghead:
 
Well, the measurements turned up. Seems that, instead of handing the chart in to the pharmacist as I asked her to, the nurse just handed them to the surgery receptionist, who, not knowing what should have been done with it, just filed it away in my notes! I shall be pursuing this.

I also thought I'd post a synopsis of my recovery as there were some things I think I missed out. So here goes:

Jan 7: had no less than three blocks!
  1. a spinal which was a bit testing as the doctor couldn't get in and kept calling for a longer needle! Once she got it, she was in and done very quickly.
  2. a femoral block
  3. a popliteal block (they called it something else but I've forgotten what!) which consisted of injecting a quantity of lidocaine (or something) in and around th4 back of the joint
The surgery went fine, I was very comfortable after with the blocks though my blood sugar took a nose dive to 5.4 in recovery. The nurse went and asked the anaesthetist about it but he said it was okay. By the time she came back I was feeling decidedly unwell. I explained to her that 5.4 was very low for me and I was having a hypo. She got me some disgusting glucose gel and squirted it in my mouth. It was effective but when she asked me if I felt better, I told her I'd much sooner have had a Mars bar!

Jan 8: was okay, comfortable. Given oxycontin and oromoprh. Didn't like them, made me feel :rolleyes:

Jan 9: physio came and check my ROM which was about 90. Then she got me up to walk but fem block still working a bit so had to be careful to take the weight on the walker instead of the leg. Of course there had to be a moment when I forgot and ended up almost on the floor! I think the shock must have been too much as when I got back to bed, I was horribly sick over everywhere!

Jan 9: was supposed to go home but owing to my living on my own, was kept in an extra night.

Jan 10: went home, slept on recliner settee as planned. Neighbour was unexpectedly helpful which was nice.

Jan 11: carer came and saw me up the stairs where I had an absolutely wonderful shower in my new walk-in shower! Worth every penny!

Jan 13: nurse came and change the dressing

Week 2
Jan 15: NOT a happy bunny. Leg was as hard as a rock and I ached from the hip right down to mid-calf. GP came to visit and declared I have cellulitis. Actually in two sites, one at the side of the knee and another at the ankle. So was back on antibiotics and feeling grotty again! GP ordered some custom made compression stockings as the ones I had worn in the hospital were no longer big enough!

Jan 17: dispensed with the carers as I can manage stairs and shower on my own

Jan 21: staples out. I was relieved to find that the nurse really knew how to remove them and I had not one nip or pinch while she did!

Jan 27: had two nurses come and do a Doppler test for the compression stockings but they wouldn't measure me for them. :skep:

Jan 29: Had to go to hospital for a 'review'. My first outing and I drove! My neighbour came with me, bless her. The person doing the review turned out to be a a nurse practitioner I knew quite well but that didn't stop her complaining that I wasn't wearing my TED stockings!

Week 4
Feb 5: a nurse turned up unannounced to measure me for stockings. But she had no form and didn't really know what it was all about. Luckily I did have a form but I had to explain to her how she used it and then that she needed to hand it in to the surgery pharmacist as he had the prescription and was waiting for the measurements.

Feb 6: been having a lot of pain up and down the back of my leg so made a trip to dear old Greg, my chiropractor. He worked wonders on those muscles as they were really, really tight. Arranged to go back again next Friday. Approved of my 'no exercise' plan!

Week 6
Feb 18, 19th, 20th: bought a new settee, had hair done and saw chiro again!
Am now taking no pain killers and ROM is about 120!

Feb 27: have a horrible burning on the outer side of my scar. Saw my GP who immediately declared it to be nerve pain and put me on gabapentin. We also discussed the slight possibility of infection so I decided to phone the hospital and see if I could get seen ASAP. As it happened, I spoke with a secretary who told my my surgeon was on leave but his colleague who was then in theatre, had a clinic that afternoon and she would speak to him and see if her would squeeze me in! She called back a couple of hours later and said could I be there by 2pm - giving me about 15 minutes to get dressed and drive to the hospital! As it happened, I was seen by my surgeon's registrar which was fine by me but he affirmed there was no infection.

March 3: had to start taking pain meds again but infrequently as my knee is aching and doesn't like doing stairs sequentially. Obviously I've been pushing it a bit! But it has to be said, I now have a ROM of 125/0 and this with doing absolutely NO exercising at all! I kid you not - not a single heel slide or anything else. I think I shall write a paper!

March 10: saw GP because the neuropathy appears not to be being held by the 100mg gabapentin and he increased it to 300mgs twice daily which worked very well. Also appears I have a low grade thrombophlebitis in my left ankle which is causing a sensitive area around the leg. Apparently no treatment required but the compression stocking.

Coincidentally, I had to call in to the pharmacy for something and was told that they are still waiting for the measurements that were taken on Feb 5th. Turned out she hadn't given them to the pharmacy as requested but given them to the surgery receptionist who simply filed it in my notes! Took me another week of telephone calls and inquiries to discover this. :doh:

March 20: maybe now might be a time to start titrating off the gabapentin so asked GP for some 100mg ones so I can play around with the doses. Dunno - it's still a bit sensitive but worth a try.

Have an appointment with surgeon on 31st and start back to work on April 1st. Only working one day that week so that's okay. So far so good!
 
Good news! Today I did a 2½hr shop in 5 stores. Walked all the way round, no mobility kart, on me own two feet! My car is in for repair so I had to cope with a courtesy car which is a fair bit larger than my own - gert big old tank :badspidy: - so maybe that took my mind off things a bit. I just know that when I got home, I unloaded the car, put the stuff away and had a bit of lunch and that's when it hit me. Usually that's when the fatigue hit me but this time it didn't! I was very bright and still had energy to spare. Can you believe it? Yesterday I was like bleah and today I can take on the world!

I'm 5½ months and I think I've shed the Energy Drain! :yes!: :egypdance: :ok: :happydance: :yay: :yahoo:
 
Wow your story is inspiring to me. No excerise and doing a lot on your own. I wish I would have been like you in recovery. But I know one recovery is different. Good job.
I wish I did not not have the energy drain. It's been better since revision. But some days blah other day on top world. I get wore out jus going to 1 store lol. Keep up good work. Xx



FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
And you keep up the good work too! The energy drain will go - just don't try and push it and don't expect too much of yourself in the meantime. Remember the line in the mantra "if you won't die if it's not done, then don't do it"!
 
Good news! Today I did a 2½hr shop in 5 stores. Walked all the way round, no mobility kart, on me own two feet! My car is in for repair so I had to cope with a courtesy car which is a fair bit larger than my own - gert big old tank :badspidy: - so maybe that took my mind off things a bit. I just know that when I got home, I unloaded the car, put the stuff away and had a bit of lunch and that's when it hit me. Usually that's when the fatigue hit me but this time it didn't! I was very bright and still had energy to spare. Can you believe it? Yesterday I was like bleah and today I can take on the world!

I'm 5½ months and I think I've shed the Energy Drain! :yes!: :egypdance: :ok: :happydance: :yay: :yahoo:
Great stories. Enjoying reading them night 7 after tkr. Not sleeping well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
Josephine, enjoyed reading your recovery story. Question: how did you increase the strength in your TKR leg without doing exercise?
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom