Guest viewing is limited

TKR Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version

There are more ways to improve muscular condition than doing all those crazy exercises! Like walking (in moderation) and using the 14 stairs in my house. Not to mention the odd bit of digging in the garden in the later weeks. Basically though, if your muscles are in reasonable shape before the surgery they will be the same after it. The perceived weakness that people go on about, isn't weakness at all. After a TKR, your leg is injured - majorly. Just like as if it was fractured. So you rest it and allow it to heal and recover and in due time the muscular strength, which was never lost, will emerge.
 
I am one of those persons who is "into" fitness, but thanks to you and Bonesmart I know better than to strength train right now. Thank you for everything you do!
 
Thanks Josephine, this is so helpful. I like your explanation about muscular condition, makes so much sense.
 
Thanks for your story. I just had my left knee replaced on 24 Sept 2015. It went so smoothly that at 2 weeks out I asked my surgeon if we could do my other (really bad) knee sometime in November. I'll see him for follow up next week and find out what the verdict is. It has been a revelation that the two knees can respond so differently such as yours have done. I'm hoping mine will be easier.

One of the things that impressed me after surgery was that all the osteoarthritis pain was gone from my left knee and after 3 days, my surgical knee felt better than the one that is a knee-in-waiting. I still was taking my pain meds, the knee was stiff and swollen but the incredible pain that had been there for so long, was gone. I don't miss it.
 
Had my 1st year review today. Registrar was very happy with both knees but was shocked when I told him I'd done no exercises! I told him it was a case of "the proof of the pudding"

Here are my xrays - looking good!

[Bonesmart.org] Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version


[Bonesmart.org] Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version


[Bonesmart.org] Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version
 
Congratulations on your 1 year checkup. I wish some US OS would get the message against aggressive PT.
 
Well I do declare! I missed my first anniversary by 5 days! But I'm happy to report I no longer have any aches or pains in either leg, and so far as I know, I walk quite well and evenly though my endurance could do with a little enhancing! But then, I always did loathe and detest walking with a vengeance! If I was given the choice to take a ride on my other pet hate, the roller coaster, or take a 30 min walk, I'd be hard pressed to decide which was the lesser of two evils!

My scars are now about equal as is my ROM - still a handsome 135/0 on each leg. Not much to complain about there.

However, I said no aches or pains but that's not entirely true - my shoulders are bugging the heck out of me and even play up after an hour or two on the computer. Still, I suppose things could be a lot worse! A dear friend on mine has just passed her 90th birthday and is still bright and bonny and rides her bike around everywhere. My aunt lived till she was 92 so I have a good chance of having at least another 18 years or so to test out these knees! I'll keep you all posted! :rotfl:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom