TKR Joni's TKR 9/15/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cold is a little better. I took antibiotics at the first sign of infection and it seems to have helped, or maybe the timing was such that the cold had just run it's course.

My husband and I took a little 2+ mile hike with a couple little hills. I had to sit and rest once. The knee did fine, but my hips were sore and I didn't have much stamina. Out of shape. Plus I've gain 10 pounds since the surgery. Well actually, 8 pounds and just with in the last 8 weeks! Oink.

I went on a little harder, longer, 3+ miles, hike this morning with my girlfriends. One of them was gracious enough to turn around with me instead of carrying on for the full 8 miles. I think she was glad to. Anyway my phone app said a total elevation gain of 900 ft in the walk this morning. The highest point being only 525 ft, so I guess it was more rolling hills than anything. Funny, I've always thought of that trail as relatively flat. I'm glad to report that my knee doesn't hurt and my hips didn't either. I felt a twinge or two behind my knee and on my shin. I iced and elevated when I got home. And am now totally good! I will tell my PT tomorrow and see if I can do a bigger hill. My stamina is what seems to need the most work. -- Joni
 
@Djbrund how great that you are getting back to doing the things you enjoy ! It's really heartening to read. One of the things I miss is walking with fiends. I was doing up to 6 miles in the summer until the Knee thought better but hope to increase that. I know what you mean about the stamina but it will come. You are doing well.
 
I'm now 12 weeks. I saw my OS this morning. He seemed pleased with my progress and stated that he certainly doesn't have to worry about me not doing enough. He gave me a refill on my Norco in case I need them. I don't need to go back for another 3 months. My ROM is 125 and 5. We discussed my intolerance of standing still and sitting with my leg hanging down too long. These, along with my stamina will get better with time. -- Joni
 
@Djbrund sounds as if you had a good day.that is a great report. It's very encouraging to hear how well people do after this operation. What a good new year you'll have to enjoy!
 
A good report from your OS, Joni!

Well done.
 
Great 12 week report Joni. Being able to hike 3 miles with only a twinge is awesome. Glad you aren't having any other problems while hiking.
 
Thank you ladies! I see you all are with me and took his comment as a compliment and not as sarcasm.

This darn cold! It is worse today! I don't understand it. I have been in bed all day except for the OS appointment and the. 3 hours it took me to do my Spanish project. Told my husband I wasn't cooking and if he wanted to eat he would have to pick something up. I'm taking Amoxicillin for a sinus infection but it now seems to be coming back. And the cough is still gross. I know I'm being extremely whiney. BLECH!! -- Joni aka Sneezy/Grumpy
 
@ Djbrund Whine all you like. I hate antibiotics! They make me feel dreadful but the continuing cold symptoms might mean you have a virus so need lots more rest! How dull is that! I think this surgery probably weakens us generally.
Take care, take things easy.
 
Joni aka Sneezy/Grumpy Sorry you are not feeling better. Know that you are not alone and feel free to whine all you want. . My sinus infection is better for now but I still have the nasty cough and congestion. It seems to be lingering for awhile. I am glad you took the day off to take care of yourself yesterday. Hope you feel better soon.
 
I hear you. My cold/sinus infection seems slightly better but now I have totally lost my voice. I will be a hermit this weekend. Hugs to you sickies :wink: who are also recovering. Good thing they are virtual hugs though with all these germs. :eeeuw:
 
My cold is better. It's still there, but manageable. I worked yesterday. Even though we started our meetings an hour early yesterday at work, we got out of there much earlier than usual. The first hour was a Violence in the Workplace (Emergency Room), that I have sat through in Sept of this year. Boring the 2nd time around! My knee did great! I sat thru 3 hours of Spanish class with no probl Wednesday night and 4 hours on Thursday at work. I got to work early and set up the food and distributed the agendas and other materials and then I paced around to get my knee nice and loose. I think it helped. Plus I placed a catering cup holder plastic box-like thing under my spot at the table to set my leg on. Today I've got PT at 10:30, then a lunch date and I'm going to attempt to get my work minutes completed today, too. Then I don't have to worry about it for four weeks. Tomorrow I'm going to take a little walk/hike in the morning, then my grandson turns 9 so there is a birthday/pizza party for him. And after that my husband and I are going to see the movie Wild about a gal hiking the Pacific Crest trail. Oh, and I'm having a party at my house on Sunday. It's a potluck, so I'm only making ribs and potato salad. Easy peasy. I'll rest next week. -- Joni
 
It's so lovely to read about you getting back to normal. It's brilliant. Have a great weekend!
 
Saturday wore me out with all the shopping. Sunday's party was super fun. The food was delish and plentiful. Getting the house ready , picking up, cleaning and getting all the Christmas dishes down and cleaned. The girls did most of the dishes and when they left, Dave finished up while I licked my wounds. Ice and elevate. Monday I had PT and a lunch date. Then rest, blessed rest. Today I left home about 9:30 and went Christmas shopping until 1:30. Came home, napped, showered and ate fast food. Dave didn't get home until 8:00. But he came home with the veggies I needed to make a HUGE pot of bean soup. They've been soaking for 36 hours.

Right now I'm sitting while the beans are boiling, and my rear end is killing me. WTH?? I know I've been on my feet too long today, but my butt?? Geez. I took a pain killer. And it's not helping. Tomorrow I have PT, then zip over to Monterey to have lunch with. gF, then on to see the skin cancer doc. Then back to Salinas to see my GP. I'm supposed to make a Puerto Rican dish - coconut pudding - for Spanish class tomorrow night. AcK. No time!! I really, really need my stamina back. Thursday is Kindergarden. Overwhelm. - Joni
 
@Djbrund. Hi joni , your whirlwind days are wearing me out reading about them! But it's so great to see that there's life waiting for us after knee replacement. Just not sure I'm ready for it yet!
I've had the bottom ache too, I think mine is just protesting about being sat on all the time. Have a good day, whatever you get up to.:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Joni!

No wonder you're short on stamina! Just reading about all you're doing wears me out. :loll:
It's good to hear that your knee is doing so well, though. :yes!::happydance:
 
@Djbrund you are doing great, just don't let your busy sche dule cause a set back. It's such a busy time of year that it will be easy to over do it. Glad your knees are okay. The muscles in my hip hurt when I over do it walking a lot. Heat on the hip works for me. Take care of yourself.
 
I figured out why my bum was so sore ... I started to do squats and lunges in PT. Haven't done them in years. Plus I've been doing the stairs. DUH!! I'm still at 125 degrees and 0. My PT doesn't really want me to get to 130, he's not working on thy because he's certain I'll gain the next 5 degrees when I resume my normal activities. I've asked for him to walk me though slowly getting stronger. Monday is my last PT. I will continue the same work at the gym. I've asked Dave for some sessions with a personal trainer for Christmas. I need to work on strength for my Spain Camino. I'm going for a light hike tomorrow. Hopefully I will begin repairing my ailing stamina. That's all for now!! -- Joni
 
Yep, your stamina will gradually come back. You're doing well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom