Guest viewing is limited

TKR Joni's TKR 9/15/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Celle , I finally achieved pain free last evening. It took lots of ice and elevation and 2 pain killers. My husband, after working 10+ hours yesterday insisted on heating up leftovers while I rested. I actually slept well (every 3 nights) and woke up without knee pain. But my butt is quite sore, and my shin and hips just a little sore. I'm going to take it easy all morning until my PT at 1:30.

I always knew that I have an active life, but thought it was primarily due to my hiking or weight training most days. Now I realize just how active the rest of my life is , too.

I had a nice walk with girlfriends planned Saturday morning. But now it's going to rain. We so need the rain. California has had about 5 years of drought with last year being the worst. So I suppose it's ok. Dave said we could go eat Greek food in Carmel for lunch if it rains.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend. -- Joni
 
Laid around all morning - bored out of my mind. Went to PT and my knee hurt when he tried working on it. So he stopped and just had me do heel slides and calf raises and this push thing machine. No steps. Then I tried bending it, but not to the max..didn't want to hurt myself. He measured it 120 degrees!! I thought I'd get nothing because yesterday it was pretty swollen. He asked me how many times I sat in those little Kindergarden chairs. I sat as often as I could, trying to get off my feet, but I kept having to pop back up for something or other. I did kind of stick my leg out when sitting and getting up. Dennis (PT) said it was like doing one-legged squats all morning! No wonder my butt hurts! But I'm happy I got a little ROM out of it!

After PT, I walked around Costco a bit. I needed to pick up my son's contacts and get a pizza. I decided to walk around and check out prices on hams, etc. I just couldn't face going home and being sedentary. So now I'm icing and elevating, even though nothing hurts - except my butt!! -- Joni
 
Joni, you're doing very well. 120 degrees! :yay::happydance:

(I'm 3 days behind you in recovery. I haven't had my ROM measured at all, but I guess it's about 110 degrees, and improving.)

I know how hard it is to just sit around and do nothing, as I'm also experiencing that, but we must still try to balance lots of activity with lots of rest.
 
I meant to say after being stuck at 120 for almost 3 months, it was 125!

Had a toss and turn night. It was a bit sore, but not really painful. Just kept moving and tossing. ARGH! Finally about 1:30 I took a pain pill. Seemed to sleep better after that.

I don't even feel like going in to Carmel for lunch. Husband went to work for a couple hours... Think I'll go back to sleep.
 
Just took a 2 mile, 54 minute walk with my husband. Was planning on going a little further, but my knee said no. Went to lunch and now I'm home icing and elevating. No pain! Yay! Yesterday wasn't a good day. I guess still recovering from Kindergarden on Thursday!??? Geez. It was so nice to get out on a trailI. My dog, Lulu loves to go off leash. And since we had rain yesterday, there were plenty of puddles for her to run through. I feel rather badly for her. She used to hike almost daily with me. We would walk between 80-100 miles a month. Now she's hardly getting any exercise.

I just noticed that I don't have any PT scheduled for next week. Wonder why they skipped a week? I think I'll take advantage and get more walking and bike riding (indoor) in. I was really hoping to be doing hills by Christmas. Mountains by mid to end of January. That may be a bit lofty. Sigh.
 
@Djbrund I am impressed by your miles today! That's brilliant! I'm so looking forward to walking again. I had to give up my two walking groups this year as I couldn't trust my knee to do the distance but have made good friends walking and want to get back to it. My husband walks longer distances - up to 15 miles and has a man in one of his groups who walks up to 12 miles after his knee replacement so there is hope for us too. Good luck with the icing.
 
I was really hoping to be doing hills by Christmas. Mountains by mid to end of January. That may be a bit lofty. Sigh.

If you set ambitious goals, you may be disappointed. You might achieve them, but don't overdo things by trying.
Remember how we tell you it takes a full year to recover completely? It's true!
 
Well, I walked for an hour (2 miles) Sunday afternoon, iced and elevated. I walked again for 2 miles yesterday and again iced and elevated. No pain. Yesterday I went in the evening andante cooler air was well liked by The Knee. I could have gone farther , but decided that I shouldn't. I am going to go again today. I may go farther, but probably not. Not really sure when I should go farther/longer. I guess The Knee will decide. It just feels so good to be outside and moving instead of cooped up in the house or gym. -- Joni
 
Not really sure when I should go farther/longer. I guess The Knee will decide.
Yep---listen to the knee--it will tell you when you have overdone things and when it is OK to go longer.
If you set ambitious goals, you may be disappointed.
I agree with Celle---if you set goals, you may be frustrated---the knee does determine the schedule----and you will be able to accomplish things when the knee says it is OK---it has the schedule.
 
As I am 3 weeks away from my surgery, it's nice to read your posts, Djbrund! You've had challenges, and you're still dealing with pain/stiffness, but you're making such fantastic progress. Very happy for you!
 
I walked 2.5 miles yesterday in just over an hour - picked up the pace a bit. The Knee didn't mind at all. Today I rested. I know that I'm going to walk both Thurs and Fri. It's feeling good. Almost scary. -- Joni
 
I'm 11 weeks out today.

Last week I walked 2.5 miles three days - Wed, Thurs, and Fri. Friday's walk was our annual "walk behind the houses ". It's where I've been walking for my rehab. It's a trail and the dogs can go off leash and it's flat (usually for my mother). This year we had 10 women and 11 dogs. Tried to upload a picture, but I get an error message.

So on Fri I came down with my husbands cold. Saturday my mother left and I did some shopping, knee exercises and went to the movies. On Sunday I spent most of the day nursing my cold. This morning I had PT. Had a hard time just getting above 120 degrees. A week ago I was 125. Wah. There was an 80 year old woman at PT who had TKR a month after me. She was surprised I was still doing PT. She has full range of motion already and had no pain. I think I hated her a little. My PT said that's the perfect example of the little old ladies having an easy time as opposed to younger, active women.

I'm upset that right when I'm feeling like doing more , I get sick. Geez. I was hoping to get outside tomorrow but it's going to rain. But the good news is ... I got the OK to do small hills. I can not wait. I'm so ready. Being home is boring. -- Joni
 
Hey, Joni. Sorry about the cold, but it seems you are doing well. And probably too much, but that's you!

I'm forcing myself to not garden. Last night I thought, "Maybe I can clear out overgrowth for just ten minutes...or maybe a half hour. No! I value pain free walking too much to overdo it right now.

Take care.
 
@Jane B., Don't do it!! Haha! I know the urge to get back to our regular lives when we feel better (or not Lol) is hard to resist. This cold has taken the emphasis off of my knee. I forget about it for hours at a time. It's great. Taking my son out to dinner for his 20th birthday tonight. That is the last thing I want to do. I even got told to not come to Kindergarden this week, to stay home and get better.

Blech -- Joni
 
Well this cold got worse and Wed I cancelled my day and stayed in bed. No hike, PT, nothing. Thursday I ran a couple errands in the morning, and then went to a Basque restuarant with my Spanish class. It was a 2+ hour, several course meal. Very good. Then we walked a couple blocks down to the mission to see a play/musical, all in Spanish. The singing was lovely, but I slipped out after about 90 minutes. I was wearing brand new boots and one of them (surgery leg) was really uncomfortable to walk in. Where your ankle bends in the front while walking, the leather seemed too stiff and was biting into my ankle. I was thinking: how am I ever going to break these boots in if it hurts to walk in them. When we got home and my husband helped me out of my boots (sounds fun!), he found that I had left some cardboard in the one boot. He thought that was so funny. I was just so glad that the boots would still be wearable!!

Anyway, I had plans to walk a hill this morning before PT, but my friend canceled on me so I went back to bed! I tossed and turned all night last night so the added sleep was awesome. I met Dave for lunch after PT, then grocery shopping and to the drug store for some cold medicine. Put away groceries and took another nap. This cold has zapped what little energy my knee surgery didn't. And I've got a gross cough to go along with it.
 
I'm sorry to hear about your cold. Feel better soon!
 
@Djbrund Its definitely cold and flu season. I had mild bronchitis a few weeks ago and now a sinus infection, congestion and cough. TKR recovery is hard enough without the added sickness. You are doing great for 11 weeks. I'm glad you are resting and taking it easy until you feel better from the cold.
 
@Djbrund sorry to hear about your cold sounds like you need some rest this weekend . This must all seem really frustrating after you were doing so well but it's only a temporary blip. I always have to be really careful when I get a cold as it brings on asthma and in the past resulted in chest infections.

Your story about the cardboard in the boots made me smile though.
Take care. And get well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom