TKR Jojo9610's recovery thread

With that full rotation :yay: you are progressing.
 
I am 5 weeks out today. I have to say everything has been good, pain is very little, I'm off of all pain meds, swelling is minimal, I finally got full rotation on the bike at PT today. My only worry is that my flexion is not very good. I'm at 90 and 3. I just can't seem to get past 90. Is it still to early for me to be worrying?
Congratulations on the full rotation! :happydance::yes!:
Whatever the numbers, it sounds as if your knee is making progress. Well done!

I think 90 degrees at 5 weeks is OK, as long as your knee continues to improve. My surgeon doesn't expect 90 degrees until about 6 weeks, so you're well within his expectations.
Remember that it's possible for ROM to continue to increase for a year (or even longer) after a TKR, so there's no need to rush.
 
I am happy to hear you got a full rotation! My PT haven't even put me on the bike! I do have a floor cycle that I use.
 
@Timetolive I bought a floor cycle yesterday off of Amazon that will be delivered today. I thought it wouldn't hurt to do some peddling in between appointments. My knee felt so loose after I had used it for 10 minutes at PT. I won't have any PT next week since my thyroid surgery is Monday.
 
I used my own bike on my days off of pt. Now I use it to exercise (watch tv while exercising!). I got an inexpensive recumbent from Walmart even though I had an upright already. The recumbent is so much better on my back which is full of arthritis.
 
@jojo9610, you are in my prayers for a successful surgery Monday. I got the idea from Smarttoys I believe about the floor cycle. I have a very nice recumbent bike in our basement, but it is 14 STEEP steps down to it and I can't make them yet - well, I could, but there would be no cycling then! :heehee: I keep threatening to get in the car and drive down the hill around to the basement (we have a daylight basement with garage) and get to my bike that way. I find it very hard to walk on steep inclines yet.
 
I had a complete meltdown at PT today. The PT was massaging my knee and I just started bawling. This is the first time I've cried since my surgery. I guess it's been building up. I told her I didn't feel like I was making any progress and she just kept reassuring me. She really is a really good PT, never tries to push me farther than I want to go. Today was my last session for at least 10 days.

And then this afternoon I lost it again. I was still waiting on my endocrinologist to get my surgery clearance faxed to my surgeon. They had to get in in today because of the holidays or my surgery would be cancelled. I was bawling on the phone with the surgery scheduler (not like he could do anything). He was calling the endos office several times also. Nothing like getting it finally getting my clearance at 4:55. I think I'm going to relax tonight with a glass of wine.
 
Oh, I am sorry. You sure did go a long time before you lost it. I cry ALL THE TIME. It is getting embarrassing! My poor family. But, you know, I bet that really felt good afterwards to finally release all that pent up angst. My PT has never massaged my knee or leg. I hear all of y'all talking about it and I think I am getting short changed! Ha!

I am thankful they got your surgery clearance all sorted out. You continue to be in my prayers for your surgery. Enjoy that wine! White or Red? I am NOT starting my new antibiotic until after New Year's since you can't drink while you are on it. I need some normalcy for a change and a toast on New Year's!!!
 
@jojo9610 I'm surprised you haven't lost it earlier! You have so much going on, I don't blame you at all for crying. Hope you have a wonderful New Year's Eve and I'm praying a healthy 2016.
 
It's important to let those feelings out. I cried twice at PT sessions and several times at home. I hope everything goes well with your surgery.
 
@jojo9610 good for you to cry - and to tell your friends here about it! I am also surprised it didn't happen sooner, and I hope that maybe it made you feel better for a while. You are facing yet another operation, just 5 weeks after your major knee surgery, and in a very sensitive area as well. You have my sympathy and support; in fact, when I read what you have been through, I stop complaining about my sore knee and feel thankful that I don't have to confront something like thyroid issues. Best of luck tomorrow and let us know how it goes. 2016 is going to be better for all of us!:yahoo:
 
Thank you all for such wonderful support. I don't know what I would have done without you these last few weeks. My husband is great at fetching but so are my dogs. Of course I wouldn't trade him in for the world. He has been my rock but he just doesn't understand what I've been through. It's great to be able come on here any time of the day and know someone who has the same issues will be there for you.

I hope everyone has a wonderful, safe New Years Eve however you plan on celebrating. Myself, I will be home with my husband and dogs with a bottle of wine.
 
Happy New Year to you, your husband and dogs. May 2016 bring you a swift an complete recovery.
 
I had my thyroidectomy yesterday and I got home from the hospital this morning. It's really not too painful. Luckily I still have pain medication left from my TKR because when I stopped at the pharmacy the hospitalist had not signed the prescription for the pain meds.

On the bright side, I had one great day of no swelling in my knee. I don't know if it was the meds they pumped in me during surgery or the compression sleeves on my calves but when I woke up from surgery I had no swelling in my knee. I also didn't have the tight band feeling around it. I can tell since being home that it's starting to swell a little so I've got the ice machine on. The picture on the left is from last week and the one on the right is yesterday.

[Bonesmart.org] Jojo9610's recovery thread
 
I'm glad to hear your thyroidectomy is done and you're home again.
It sounds as if your knee has enjoyed the little break, even if you haven't.
 
I am glad all went well with your surgery. Thank God for small miracles and no swelling at the hospital. Your knee and you need some down time! You can see the swelling in your knee from last week. You also got a tan! Hahahahaha! Sorry, I could not resist. I was looking at some pictures I had taken of my leg and it was funny how the different lighting changed the color. I hope you rest well and all goes smoothly from here on out.
 
I'm glad your surgery went well. I hope your recovery is speedy an uneventful from this point on.:flwrysmile:
 
Glad to hear the surgery went well. You've seen a preview of the knee to be. Hang in there. Healing will continue.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
So glad surgery went well now you can get back on the healing wagon for both. Take care of yourself.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom