TKR Jojo9610's recovery thread

So good to hear the surgery went well and you're in little pain.
 
New to this site and I wanted to comment about yours thyroid cancer. I had surgery on my thyroid in Aug 2003. MY GP and the surgeon both expected just a partial removal and no cancer but that was not to be. I I also had has Hashimoto's. I had a raspy voice and a very sore neck for a long time afterward because I was in surgery for 6.5 hours with my neck extended. If you are having radiation treatment, it will be in pill form. When administered, the doctors were dressed like they were on a space expedition and after swallowing the two pills (they were in lead cases) they put a Geiger counter up to my stomach. Once you have had the radiation treatment, you will have to be isolated for around 10 days in your home. Your spouse will have to sleep in another room and everyone has to stay at least 8 feet away from you. After two days I returned to the hospital for a full body scan (I had 3 in 10 days plus a CT Scan) and I was placed in a empty X-ray room since you are not supposed to be within 8 ft of anyone. I was emiting so much radiation that I interfered with their active X-ray room and they had to move me farther away. Once you have finished with your isolation, you will receive Cytomel which is a fast acting thyroid medication and you will start to feel better immediately. My TSH level had to be above 50 before radiation treatment and the pregnancy test at my age was a hoot. You will also be on a restricted diet before radiation (no foods with iodine which eliminates most prepackaged/canned foods). Don't be surprised at the metallic taste in your mouth that lasted several months in my case after radiation treatment. It takes a while to regulate your thyroid replacement medication. Even after 12 years, I just had mine adjusted. Cancer occupies your mind even after successful treatment and recovery and you have the TKR to deal with too but eventually you stop thinking of it. I only had to have special tests for about three years and then my GP took over my care. Things may have changed somewhat since I had my surgery. Hope this helps. If you want more details, please feel free to ask. And I am thankful to a dilligent dental tech who found the nodules in my neck during a routine dental cleaning.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My 7 week checkup is tomorrow afternoon. I am terrified that he's going to mention a MUA. I'm about 90/2 right now but this last week I feel like my knee has really loosened up. I don't have that tight band feeling even though I'm not getting any more flexion. I'm hoping my OS will give me a couple of more weeks to make some more progress, I feel like I"m right on the edge of getting more movement. I'm also hoping he'll release me to go back to work on Tuesday.
 
My OS only wanted flexion to 90 at 6 weeks. After everything you've been through I'm sure your ROM will continue to improve. I wouldn't think you need a MUA right now. Are you going to work part time? I didn't go back to work to much later and the energy drain was just overwhelming.
 
Can you elevate at work? If not gaining flexion may be difficult.
 
I'll be going back full-time. I can elevate all day at my desk and also ice. I have two ice machines so I plan on keeping one at work. My co-workers are like family so I know if I need to find a sofa and take a quick nap during the day I can do that also. I'm anxious to get back since I'm the senior analyst and nobody has been doing my job since I left.
 
It's good that you can elevate. But be prepared for the fatigue, especially with your latest surgery on top of the TKR. Know that you'll come home and collapse, do pick up, delivery for dinner or something frozen, I was too tired to cook when I went back full time.
 
JoJo, even if your OS mentions MUA, can't you tell them you want to wait? I don't know how that works and the urgency. I think you are doing well for what you have been through. You are in my prayers. I bet going back to work will be good for your emotional health too.
 
I didn't think of that. Our big freezer went out yesterday and we lost everything. I've decided that we're not going to keep a lot of food on hand. We'll definitely be doing take out for the next few weeks.
 
Sorry about the freezer!! I know that was a big mess and financial loss. I have a large freezer and die to ice storms in the past, have had to do the "BIG cleaning out". It made me weep to throw away all the strawberries, corn, beans, and other vegetables I had frozen - not to mention the meat! I keep asking for a generator, but my husband doesn't think it necessary....:bawl:
 
Take out was a big help to me. I even resorted to paper plates and plastic forks so I didn't have to expend any more energy cleaning up. I also let any other chores go until the weekend when I could do them with rest periods in between.

@Timetolive I have a standby generator and I love it. Saves me when my power goes out.
 
I integrated laundry into into leaving and returning, as my laundry is the same level as the garage. I'd drag a basket down in the am when I left, put the laundry in when I came home, and in the drier the next afternoon, unless I went down he stairs again. I know you're not supposed to, but I also used to put laundry in when I left the house.
 
I went to PT this morning and then saw my OS for my 7 week follow up. I was at 92/2. We talked a lot about the MUA. He has given me 3 weeks to get over 100 flexion. He said he'd rather me get there on my own than with a MUA but sometimes people just need a little help. He reassured me that it wasn't my fault and it wasn't from not doing my exercises at home and going to PT. He said sometimes it just happens that way. He also released me to go back to work tomorrow. I'm so ready to get back.
 
I made it through my first day of work. My knee actually feels really good, no major swelling. I was able to keep it propped up most of the day. It feels so good to finally be back at work. I also saw my ENT today. My cancer hasn't spread outside the thyroid so all I need to do is the radioactive iodine in about a month and then follow up once a year. So it was a good day all around.
 
I'm so glad to hear your news. Congratulations on being able to get back to work. :happydance:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom