TKR Jojo9610's recovery thread

I hope the news from your thyroid biopsies is good.

For some reason, PTs get hung up on measuring ROM. I guess it's because that is one way of proving to the insurance companies that their ministrations are effective. Let that remain their problem. Don't let it become yours.

My OS never asked what my ROM was. Like yours, he just looked at my knee and he would ask me to "Show me what you can do." In fact, since I didn't go to PT, my ROM has never been measured - but I know it's good and my knee works just fine.
 
I haven't updated in a couple of days. Yesterday was great. One of the guys I work with picked me up and took me to my office for our yearly Christmas party. I thought I was going to have to miss it this year. I spent about 5 hours at the office so was a little tired by the time I got home but felt pretty good. I still think by 6 weeks I'll be ready to go back. I'm still waiting on my biopsy results. I talked to my PCP earlier and they still haven't received the results. I was hoping not to have to wonder through the weekend. That's how it usually happens. Maybe I'll hear back on Monday.
 
I'm happy that you enjoyed the office Christmas party. It's wonderful that you were able to be there for 5 hours!!
 
Don't be shy about napping if you need to after your fun outing. :)
 
My endocrinologist called me on Christmas Day to tell me my results. Maybe your doc will give you a call over the weekend.
 
I just had to go through something similar. I hope you can relax over the weekend and get good news very soon. You're doing so well!
 
I've been so bored around the house I decided to go to Costco yesterday with my husband. I've been walking with a cane and felt pretty good walking around the store. When I got home I was tired but not sore but started icing. I guess I did too much because I paid for it last night. The pain was unbearable and I don't normally have problems sleeping. So my question is, how do you know when you're overdoing it if your knee doesn't hurt while you're walking?
 
It is hard to know when you're ready to add activity. I did very little for a month and was starting to get cabin fever but then ended up back in the hospital. Here is a link for activity progression from the library. It is pretty spot on. My thought was anything that required my leg to be down for an hour at less than a month from TKR would be too much. I went to parent/teacher conferences 3 weeks after surgery, but I sat with my TKR leg elevated while I spoke to parents. Looks like you experienced the ODIC (over did it club).

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-tkrs.14334/
 
It is difficult to gauge what is too much as @KarriB has said. Next time use one of the motorized carts in the store. You will still have to walk into store and out of it. I also always had ice with me for the trip back home.
 
By the time I did my second knee I had learned it was better to "underdo" and see how that went before adding more minutes or activities. As you've discovered, it can feel ok at the time but you pay for it hours later.
You did just right @jojo9610 to ice when you got home.
 
I am sorry you are hurting. This is an excellent discussion! How and when to know the right amount of activity. I hope you at least got some good things at Costco! My husband LOVES their fruitcake - I mean LOVES it. Hahaha!
 
Today is 3 weeks for me. I had PT today and I was 90 and 0. I'm happy with my progress so far. My biopsy results came back and I have thyroid cancer. I see an ENT on Wednesday to find out about surgery. My question is will I have to wait a certain amount of time before surgery because of my TKR?
 
I'm so sorry to hear this result. At least you don't have to wait too long to see the ENT. I don't think you'll have to wait, but @Josephine or @Celle may know for sure.
 
My heart is heavy learning of your diagnosis. I wish there was something I could do for you. I will pray for you and for your doctors. I am so sorry.

You ROM is great! I wish I could get to 0. I think they just can't figure out where the bones are in my leg since it is so fat! :heehee:
 
I'm sorry to hear your diagnosis, and I hope you can have surgery soon. If it were me, I'd want to have it as soon as possible.

I don't know the answer, @jojo9610 about whether you have to wait because of your TKR. I think it's something for your OS and ENT surgeon to decide in consultation between them.

I think you need to let your OS know before you see the ENT surgeon, so that you can tell him the OS is aware - and maybe what he recommends as far as surgery timing (and maybe antibiotic cover).

However, since people do have consecutive TKRs, sometimes only a few days apart, if your general health is good, I can't see why you should need to wait too long to have thyroid surgery.

Best wishes, and do let us know how you get on. :friends:
 
Thank you @Celle. I will definitely have the OS and ENT consult with each other before I do anything. If I had my choice I would do it before the end of the year because my out of pocket is paid up but it may not be up to me. Thank you everyone for your prayers. They are much appreciated.
 
I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I found out that I had uterine cancer about 10 days before my TKR is scheduled. My oncologist is scheduled out about 8 weeks for hysterectomies and my doctors said 8 weeks was about the minimum length of time between major surgeries so I'm going ahead with my TKR. I'm sure it varies with the type of surgery. I hope you get some answers soon.
 
Please let us know how it goes Wednesday with ENT. Will you call the OS tomorrow to let him know or wait until you see the ENT?
For some reason PA has one of the highest thyroid cancer rates in the U.S. The thinking is that it's due to our nuclear power plants. At one point we had 5 first grade teachers in my hallway and we all had one thyroid problem or another. Two of them had to have all or part of their thyroid removed.
I'll be praying that it's contained in the thyroid, caught early and no further treatment is necessary. You're on my mind, JoJo.
 
Thank you @KarriB. I thought I would wait until after my appt with the ENT before I called my OS. I wanted to have all the information about what is going to be done before calling. I also want the dr.'s to consult with each other. I've heard that about PA and thyroid cancer. Very scary. I've had thyroid problems for years so I'm hoping it hasn't been cancerous for that long.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom