Jojo9610's Nov 23rd Pre-Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible @pumpkin to change the title of my thread to Jojo9610's Nov 23rd Pre-Op? I think I should have done this at the beginning instead of starting new threads.

I'm a researcher by trade and I've probably spent 80% of my time since deciding on having surgery last month scouring the internet reading everything I can get my hands on. In fact, I've probably read too much. I have my house prepared, my food is prepared and in the freezer, my hospital bag is packed, my pre-op hospital appt is on Nov. 7. I don't really think I have anything else I need to do. I am starting to feel really scared and I don't know why.
 
I am starting to feel really scared and I don't know why.
Of course you are scared, you are facing a major surgery, uncertainty abounds. What if this or that happens, what about... and so on.
Sounds like you are well prepared, house is ready, food is ready, hospital bag is packed, and pre hospital appt is scheduled. Take care of yourself and you will be fine.
 
JoJo, how long will you be in the hospital? I am like you - I love to read all I can to prepare myself. I took care of my mother and had to learn a lot of things about many medical issues to be a better advocate for her. I think reading prepares you so if something comes up, you say, "oh, I read about that" and not be afraid of it. Even with all of this, I am scared also. We will get through this!
 
I had to advocate for my mother when she was ill also. I will be in the hospital two nights. I have been through 20 surgeries but I have to say this one has got me by far the most uneasy. I trust my surgeon and I trust God so I continue to pray knowing that everything will be ok.
 
The TKR is supposed to be "minimally invasive" and my OS says I'll be back at work in 3 weeks. I'm not so sure I believe that.
Some patients do recover effortlessly and quickly---while most take a longer time-frame.

I went back to the classroom at eight weeks, and that was too early.

I would hope for a speedy recovery and accept whatever your surgical knee decides to do---realizing that three weeks, for many, is just too short a time ro return to work.
 
I really don't expect to go back to work in 3 weeks. My OS said most of his patients do but he has my FMLA paperwork filled out for the full 12 weeks. I have 12 months of sick leave I can take. I'm not going to rush it. I'll go back when I feel I'm ready.
 
Yep, don't rush it if you have the time especially. There's more involved than just working. You still have to deal with everyday life on top of work. It can be exhausting. I'm glad your OS is giving the option of 12 weeks.
 
Hi Joan, we will have to compare notes...I am also getting TKR (bilateral) on November 23rd. Had my first anxiety dream. I dreamt that the doctor put the knees in backwards. The good news of that dream is that I was running after the doctor. I haven't been able to run for 16 years now! LOL!
 
A couple of new techniques appear to be amazing. I happened to be on the ward/unit where a lot of TKRs go post-op (visiting a relative; not a TKR though) and was stunned to see people moving so well so quickly. A nurse told me a one night stay is getting to be routine. I thought I had done well; these folks were practically jogging. And they appeared to have very little swelling. Same hospital; at least a couple had the same surgeon, because I peeked at the board.
 
@Sidelined that's funny you had a dream about your knees being put in backwards. Yesterday my co-workers were joking that if my surgeon put my knee in backwards I would look like a flamingo. How long will you be in the hospital?
 
@jojo9610, my husband stayed two nights for one knee last November; I don't know what I will do. at least three, but it depends on how I navigate stairs, etc. I am very fit, so I expect to go home...but if they feel I should go to a rehab, I will gladly go. They have a couple around this area, that are REHAB, and not nursing homes. I women in her low 70's went home with a double knee after three nights in the hospital. Her husband had sent a letter to the editor about it. Same practice, different doctor. I have the head of the surgical unit doing mine, and he has a 6 month waiting list. No one cancels. I feel prepared, but had a hard part with wearing shorts in the hospital. I am going to sports authority to buy some basketball shorts. And then...what do I wear for "pajamas"? in the hospital? I may just wear my gym shorts and then a comfortable top. Getting excited. I go to my class next week. I re read my husbands pre op instructions and they did indicate that you sleep with your legs straight with a towel under the either ankles or calves. I did read all of Josephine's articles. Amazing! The one that goes straight back is very expensive; but I am not too worried. If I can rent the expensive one, I will; if not I am going to buy a pretty good one. I will need it because I am not a good sleeper, as in falling asleep. Once asleep...I can usually stay.

WHAT IS your story? Did I miss that on another thread?
 
@Sidelined I didn't have to wear shorts in the hospital or rehab. They just wanted easy access to my knee/incision. It was too cold to wear shorts.I bought wonderfully soft, stretchy sleep pants from Eddie Bauer. They came in gray, so didn't necessary look like sleep pants. I even wore them when I went back to teaching with a nice cardigan because I would go straight to rehab and my knee was still very sensitive to different fabrics.
 
@Sidelined I have had a previous ACL reconstruction, a repair and meniscectomy. I pretty much don't have anything left in my knee that works. I have come to a point where my knee pain is getting in the way of enjoying life. From reading everything on here, it's not always the amount of pain but how much it affects your life. I know it's not ever going to get better so I want to get it done now while I'm in good health.
 
Basketball shorts should work. Nice and baggy to get around the bandage. At first they may just keep you in a hospital gown. I was at first and that was fine. I did bring a pretty duster to wear over the gown for walking around which made me feel more "normal." Loose shorts and a tshirt after that and then just used the hospital gown at night.
 
I was in hospital for 5 days - no rehab facilities in NZ - and I just wore my own, T-shirt style nightgowns, with "granny pants" (knickers, not trousers) for modesty.
Here, they don't issue hospital style nightgowns and nothing would make me wear one anyway.
 
They're pretty bad, aren't they, Celle?
 
I really can't understand why patients are expected to wear a gown that is open down the back. It's undignified and it places the emphasis on convenience for the doctors, rather than comfort for the patient.
To me, those gowns are only necessary when you're going into the operating theatre. At all other times, an ordinary, short-sleeved nightgown (or T-shirt and shorts) is perfectly fine, even if you have an IV.
 
I did all of my pre-op testing today and my final x-rays. I'm trying to get my work finished up these last two weeks. My boss is pressuring me to come back earlier than I had planned. I was planning for 6 weeks and he's wanting me back around 4 (half days). If he keeps pushing me I may take the entire 12 weeks.
 
There's no way I'd go back to work at week 4, 6 would be hard enough. Send home an e-mail with a YouTube link showing a TKR. He may back down. :eeeuw:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom