Guest viewing is limited

THR Joint Replacement #3 -- Getting Discouraged<

I personally think you will be miserable..8 hours even with breaks:thud:
Yes, you could make it, but if everyone is understanding...why be unable to enjoy it when you get there?
 
@Figment826
I had a 1 1-2 hour each way drive to my three week follow up. Husband drove me, so I just rode. It wasn't too bad. I took my gel ice packs. But I was really tired out after we went out to eat after the appointment. Just the fatigue thing.
I'm driving now and have done a couple outings for several hours at a time but I am still using a cane. I have to ice when I get home. I will be 5 weeks tomorrow and feel I am slower than molasses at this recovery, but drove about 3 hours total in and out of car running errands yesterday and really needed to ice last night but am ok today.
I'd say make the trip a goal. And yes doing the trip over a two day span and stopping at every rest stop would be the best plan. You'll know by 8 weeks if it's something to do. Grandkids just gotta do it!
 
Thank you @BeBe . The fatigue is making me crazy. Im anxious to move on to the cane so I can get out a little more but I do get tired quickly. One day at a time.
 
Wishing you a bit of this > :happydance::dancy: :spin:
And less of this > :yawn: :sleep:
Just a bit though because you need your rest, even though you're tired of being tired :heehee:
Your body is healing just as it should and we do our best healing while sleeping. I know you realize this,
just an annoying reminder, lol.
Hope your weekend is all you want it to be!
@Figment826
 
Last edited:
Hi All!

I have a question.
I am 7 weeks out from my LTHR and 16 months out from the RTHR. How do I know if I am getting close to dislocating? At my 4 week check up my surgeon told me that at 6 weeks I could slowly start easing up on the hip restrictions, including bending forward while sitting with the goal of eventually getting down to my feet to tie shoes etc. He told me to keep my hands between my legs but otherwise just to slowly begin to stretch. (I was never fully able to accomplish this from the first THR, largely due to the fact that my other hip and both knees were so painful and limited the motion.)

I can actually get pretty far but I do have a pulling and sort of pain in the groin area on both sides when doing this and my tendons down there feel like TIGHT rubber bands. Is this pain the beginning of dislocation? Or just things that haven't stretched for a long time?

Thanks!
 
@Figment826
Well hi!
My OS basically said to reach between legs also but to be really cautious as 3-4 months is a better
timeline to stop precautions in order to avoid dislocation.
My nightmare due to my mom having such issues with it. She had 4.
I can touch my foot without groin pulls or pain but I do have a feeling of bulging on outside hip right at
the incision. It just doesn't feel secure yet. Plus the feeling of the golf ball inside. I do have pretty good non painful ROM but I do not take advantage of that at all because I'm fearful of dislocation also.
However the new hip still feels weak and there is pain with walking a lot, still using cane but mostly due to
Bad left hip now.
So I don't know about the pain thing but if I did have that groin pain I would just move very slowly with stretches
To ease into those movements. Baby steps.
 
Thanks @BeBe ! This multiple joint thing is for the birds! It's so hard to know what's what in terms of pain, and the disordered gait from each joint affects the entire system. I agree with the baby steps.

I know I probably wont really know how successful this whole venture is for another several months. I just want to do good stuff and avoid overdoing in the meantime.

Good luck with your upcoming hip! I bet once that one is replaced you will improve more consistently.
 
At 6 weeks my OS said the same thing. First thing I did was remove the raised toilet, very happy to see it go. Then I tested touching my toes which went well. What got me was washing my L foot, I could feel the pulling. It wasn't a dislocation feeling as much as a tight muscle that needs to ease into these things feeling. The next time I had it was attempting to cut my L foot's toe nails, it let me know right away. I'm over 3 mos out and it's still happening when I push the muscles to their limits. Just this week I was doing some awkward movements while working around the house and I've felt sore.
Before 6 weeks as I got more mobile I had a very odd feeling that I felt was the joint capsule yelling the dislocation warning.
 
@Eman85 so where is the pain you think is joint capsule? That's my question -- how do I know what is normal soft tissue stuff that just needs to be slowly stretched and reconditioned and what is a dislocation ready to pop?
 
Well..it was a feeling deep inside that felt really scary like the joint was moving. Really odd feeling much different than any muscle pulls or pain. I knew I didn't want to do it again. I actually know someone that did dislocate and I know it's not something you want to do.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary! A flower for your anniversary :flwrysmile:
I hope all is going well for you.
Would love to hear an update on your recovery when you have time.
Best wishes for a great week!
@Figment826
 
Hi @Layla! Thanks for checking in -- thats very sweet.
In some ways Im doing very well -- in others not so much unfortunately. Both hip joints I think are healing well. I have pretty severe psoas issues on both sides that limit stair climbing, getting in the car, walking. My left knee (replaced 7/17) has gotten more painful, esp on stairs but also just when walking. And the other knee is getting worse. All that together means Im pretty limited in terms of mobility. I can't put on socks yet on the left. On the upside, I can walk about 1/4 mile with a cane and all the really major 9/10 arthritis pain is gone -- I can lay in bed or sit in a chair without pain which is great!
I see the surgeon next week so we'll see what he thinks.
 
Thanks for the response!
Three major surgeries in 15 months is a lot.
Your precious body has been in healing mode for a long time.
Considering all, it seems you're doing well.
Losing arthritis pain is a gift in itself but laying in bed
and sitting on a chair without suffering pain is awesome.
Let us know how your doctor visit goes next week.
We'd love to hear...
@Figment826
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom