THR joining the sore butt crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okie - great to hear from you. Keep on working on building that strength in the legs. It does take some time especially since you had two major surgeries.

Fingers and toes crossed for your new job! Please update when you can.
 
okie408;

Hi okie,

I have everything crossed, arms, legs (well maybe not legs), fingers, eyes!....

Sending lots of good luck from down under buddie... Can't wait to hear the good news, you have certainly hung in there for a long time on this one....

Gosh! I miss our late night chats online.... Take care my good friend, say hi to the family from John and myself :)
 
Hello hipsters!!
I have a quick question for everyone. Like I have said in the last several updates hip pain is basically not an issue. Sure I still have sore spots if I lay on my side wrong and my thighs do not have their full strength back but as far as daily hip pain it is gone. My question is does anyone else have cramps in the back of your calves since THR. My right calf will cramp up if I walk alot or do anything that reqires muscle strength in the legs. Like walking up hill or climbing stairs. It does not cramp up all the way and does not stop me from walking or doing what ever I want but it is annoying. My best guess is that I sit in a car all night and have not been getting enough excercise lately. With the temperature being from 100 to 113 each day I do not plan on getting out and walking much. The last day or two has been a little cooler though. I'll check in later to see if anyone else has the same problem. Everyone have a good day.
 
Hi okie

Yes, I get partial cramps in my calves quite often actually. Often when I am lying in bed reading after exercising and walking a fair bit that day.

You might want to consider investigating a very good magnesium supplement, makes sure it is a complete Magnesium as there are from memory 11 different types of Magnesium.

Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body and is essential to good health, over 50% of the body's Magnesium can be found in the bones. It is required for over 300 biochemical reactions in the body, including maintaining normal muscle and nerve function amongst other functions. So you can see if there is a slight imbalance in Magnesium it can result in a mild deficiency and you may need to supplement, especially when you are spending lots of hours sitting in a cramped car seat. Also, in the heat you are losing essential electrolytes, including Magnesium which result in cramping.

Any news on the other job application?
 
Seconding Sandy on the magnesium. Also, you might want to add some stretching exercises, with or without walking. I walk a fair amount, but I'm always surprised how my calves feel when I hold the counter, and go up on toes. 10x...no problem. Stretch it to 15....hmm. Those muscles are complaining. The best part of PT for me was when the therapist would stretch me....it never feels quite as effective when I do it myself. But it does help alleviate those cramps. I can't get my leg straight enough on its own, so I use a tie to help me bring it up and hold it.

I think you'll find that leg cramps are a fairly common problem...and not just for hippies. Magnesium and stretches. Usually an easy fix. :)

Sharon
 
Well it has been almost a year since my first hip replacement and I think I have had my first set back in several months. I have been training a new recruit for the last four weeks and he has kept me busy. We had to fight with a mentally disturbed person at the hospital the other night. The man had said that he had a knife hiding inside his....lets see, what is the nice way to say it, his bottom. He said he was going to pull it out and cut his own throat. He also said that he hoped that all the officers get shot and die. And for those of you who don't know, never ever call the charge nurse that is helping you the bad "C" word. She will repay your kindness when you tell her that your IV needs to be fixed. This man later bit a nurse in the Intensive Care Unit and told the other nurses that he had Hep C and hopes the other nurse dies from it. When this long week of work finally ended at 7:00 AM Friday morning I went home and spent the next 5 hours mowing with the tractor. The next morning I was up at 6:30 and back on the tractor. I spent another 5 hours on the tractor again this time using the disc to break the ground. Fall is coming and it is time to plant the fields for deer season. I do hunt some but I mainly plant to give something back to the animals and to make their winter a little easier on them. The set back? Well when I got off the tractor yesterday I had some sharp pains in my left hip. And now today I am so sore that I feel like I did a month after surgery. It feels like someone with a size 16 shoe has been kicking my back side for a week. I am moving kind of slow and have been re-introduced to my old friend Ibuprophen. Hopefully the soreness will be gone in a few days. I said i was busy this week with the recruit. He was only here for 3 days and he took 16 service calls, made 7 arrests, and wrote six reports. This includes spending a total of about 7 hours a the hospital handling mentally ill subjects that needed to have a mental evaluation. Man was I glad that the weekend finally came.
 
Sounds like a weekend of rest and recovery is in order. No wonder you are sore! Gosh - I really admire your patience with all those trouble makers!

Try a bit of ice on that sore hip. Fingers crossed things settle! Please keep us updated.
 
The ice sounds great but after the busy week at work and then the farming work at home, the wife still needed help with the house today. I did get a short nap after helping her but then it was time to go to my second job and I will be here until 5:00 in the morning. I haven't really had the time to just sit on an ice pack and was just too lazy to hook up the ice water pump before the nap. The good part about the second job is I only have to sit in a guard shack and open a gate every now and then. The bad part is I only sit and then I get even more sore and stiff. Maybe I'll get the ice water pump going when I get home.
 
Okie

First, good for your for planting fields to mak life easier on our animal friends. That gets you extra points towards heaven. Second, can you use ice while sitting in the guard shack? Or how about heat--- maybe a "Thera" whatever or a hot water bottle?

Sure hope you get to feeling better!

Suki
 
Hi okie

Oh buddy, so sorry you are having pain.. sounds as though you have overdone it a little.. isn't it awful when we think we are going well and then all of a sudden we are reminded that we have had THR's..

Ice, ice and more ice :)

Any news about the job?

Lots of love to the family :)
 
Ice and Ibuprophen are my best friends. The soreness is gone and things are back to the way they were. I used the ice water pump on my shoulder this evening and think I woke up with the begining stages of hypothermia. I have an old shoulder injury from being in a car wreck at work years ago and sometimes it flares up. I fired up the ice water pump and layed down on it for a while. I guess I was asleep on it for 3 or 4 hours. When I woke up I was frozen solid. I bet it took me an hour to stop shivering. But my shoulder didn't hurt anymore. As for all the time one the tractor last weekend it has payed off already. When I checked the fields yesterday the clover was already starting to come up. It was raining when I was putting the seed out and we got another inch of rain after the seed was out. Sandy, you asked about the new job. Well it isn't going well. I was called the other morning and told that I didn't get it. It does not make sense to me because the guys that work out here, including one of the boss' wants me to get hired. I was told tonight that there are 6 vacant positions in the area that I applied for. But I kkow that the company has some new big shots in the main office and they are trying to organize things. According to the guys that work out here the guys that are in charge and making the desicions are the ones that sit behind desk in another town and never come out to see what is accually needed. But it's ok, I just try again next time. The kids are doing great. Katie is working now and Jake's team won their first football game of the season. I'm proud of both of my kids.
 
Oh okie, I am so disappointed for you regards the job.... I agree that does not make sense.. like you say, keep trying, that will demonstrate to the 'desk jockeys' that you are motivated and really want the position with the company.. like the saying goes, 'try, try and try again'.. but I am upset for you :(

Fantastic that the clover is coming up, excellent timing.. so pleased that your hip has settled, and your shoulder.. but hey, don't try and freeze it next time..

Give my love to everyone, I owe you an email... soon, take care and look after yourself :)
 
Hi Okie, just dropped by to check in with you... :)
 
Howdy folks! Things are going pretty good. Thursday night I took off work and took my wife and daughter out to eat. During the meal I quietly started signing "Happy Birth Day to my butt". They both looked at me like I was crazy and my wife asked what in the world I was talking about. I told her that one year ago I had my left hip replaced. So, it was my butt's birthday. Well, I thought it was pretty funny. :rotfl: I guess we'll have to do it again next month for the other hip. Even though there is no "pain" there is still weakness and some times a little discomfort. I can tell that the surgery really took a lot out of me. It's funny that I didn't notice it that much until a month or so ago. Probably because I have been so active the last couple of months. I have been very busy working both jobs, working on Katie's truck and doing things on the tractor. 5 hours last weekend brush hogging and 9 hours the weekend before working on the road. With all the rain we are getting tonight it looks like I may be back on it again tomorrow. I love using the tractor. It is my meditation time.

I am so proud of my son and his football team. They have not lost a game this year making them 7 - 0 for the season so far. The last time his team was 7 - 0 was 1999. They have worked so hard and deserve a good season. It is his senior year and they have only 3 regular season games left. Looks like we are going to play offs.

Katie is doing great and is working a few days each we at the local SubWay. She is driving my truck most of the time since she wrecked hers. Still waiting on one part to start putting hers back together.

The new job didn't pan out but I applied last week for a job with the Oklahoma Parks Department as a State Park Ranger. I am going Monday to take a state merit test. I have looked online but I am not finding much info on "merit test". My friends tell me that it is a basic common knowledge test. Wish me luck. If I get the job I will be working at Ten Killer stated park. It is only about 55 minutes from home on a beautiful lake. The wife is already making plans to set up a camper or portable cabin. Hope I don't let her down. But for now, I'm still working at the PD :eeeuw::headbang:

Hope everyone is doing fine and livin pain free.
 
Good luck, my Okie pal! We used to spend a fair amount of time at Tenkiller Lake when I was a kid! I hope it hasn't changed much, cause I remember it being really pretty. Happy Anniversary to BOTH your butts!
 
Hi okie

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to BOTH BUTTS from your Aussie friends.

I have fingers and toes crossed for Monday.. That would be just the best news to hear that you have got the job!

Give my love to Katie and Jake and C.. Tell her if she builds the cabin... We will come! hugs, Sandy & John x
 
:rotfl: Love it Okie - happy hippied birthday! Fingers crossed for you on the job front. Please let us know how you get on.
 
okie408;

Hey buddy.... congratulations, that is fantastic, what a great pass mark... well done...

So what is the next step?
 
Great news Okie! Please keep us updated!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom