THR JoeKnows Recovery

@JoeKnows I've been reading your posts and enjoying the laughs. I see where @Mojo333 and @Layla have cautioned you on overdoing etc. and probably, it appears, like me you are thinking 'they are mods, they get paid(kudos, tokens, whatever) to say these things.

I'm 10 weeks out and like you, felt so good at 3 weeks, no opiods, no pain, so I started walking, with and quickly without the cane, so proud as I'd not walked a mile in 3 years without excruciating pain. They warned me to slow down. I didn't. I had plans man, we had things to do at 6 weeks, places to go, RV'ing trips planned. I could do it. And I did. THEN holy cheezeballs, my legs/quads/tronchanter (not my hip joint)said WTH are you doing? We are sore, we've been manipulated,cut and lord knows what else. And I basically, at 8 weeks, had to stop everything (all my 'progress') and go back to icing, Tylenol round the clock, and limited movement. Should've gone back to cane, but I'd already given it and crutches back. Now, 2 weeks later I'm back to where I was. However, if I'd done as they preached here, I'd be so much further along.

Not preaching, just mothering a bit. Although I'm not too much older than you -51-

Slow and steady win this journey...
 
@Bchbum4evr I get it, I really do. I feel like I'm pretty in tune with my body, and I have tried and backed off of some stuff I haven't even posted about - PT exercises, for instance. Despite the things I do, I also rest a lot and ice constantly. I see the BS philosophy and appreciate the logic of it - but it's not the only philosophy. Basically I have some voices in my life (including my surgeon and my general doc, who has a THR) encouraging getting back to normal life as early as possible as long as there's no major pain, and others recommending being as sedentary as possible. So I choose the middle path of doing what I'm comfortable with at the time.

Will I regret being active this early? Maybe. Would I regret it if I was NOT active this early? Maybe. Causation is tough to pinpoint with stuff like this.

Regardless, the amount of caring and concern on this board is just next level... This is what the internet SHOULD be, so thanks for being a part of that!
 
Hey, I almost slept for 8 hours! A few wakeups, but got right back down. Moving a touch slower so far this morning, but pain is still 0 or 0.5 sitting and a 1 when moving around, and I haven't medicated yet. Not trying to brag, I know this is unusual - just keeping track of progress / making a record so I can look back and kick myself if and when I have a setback, haha.

The only thing I regret is the taco bell.
 
Two things I forgot to mention, one of which actually relates to recovery:

1. Emily (the eldest) won a fish at the fair... Ugh. Apparently the bag exploded while they were walking around, though some boy scouts managed to get it into a new bag of water before it died... Predictably, I woke up this morning to a four year old three inches from my face crying, "daaaaaddy, Carlo died!" She got over it pretty quick, but she's sad her little sister didn't get to see the fish.

2. I called the furniture store yesterday evening to see if my fancy new recliner came in like it was supposed to. Turns out it did, they just didn't call because they thought I was having it delivered. I chatted with the store owner for a bit - mentioned that I'd be picking it up, just had a narrow window when help was available since I obviously can't do it. We found out we go to the same church, and she was sympathetic to my hip, so she's going to pay for the delivery (it's an outside company)! Very nice gesture, though honestly delivery should be free anyway considering what I paid for the darn thing, haha. Gets here around 3:30-5:00.

In coffee / ice mode right now. Thinking I'll do 20 minutes on the bike when the girls leave, shower, get my allergy shot, and make sure my office hasn't burned down. Should be done with the day by 2:00.
 
I'm happy to hear all went off without a hitch with sweet littlest little.

Wise of the therapist to steer clear of that incision. Yes, better safe than sorry. Not sure if you've read of any of the struggles some of our dear members have experienced with infection. I initially avoided those threads because they freaked me out. But if you read them it tugs at your heartstrings and you can't help but offer support.

I feel like Josephine just mentioned recently (like within the last week) that those topical agents don't work. I've used them myself and I know I will on occasion moving forward. If nothing else, the sensation derived (icy /hot) is a distraction from the nagging ache or pain you're enduring. It's sufficed for me enough to fall asleep at times and it wasn't involving my hip, but joints or muscles elsewhere. Whatever gets you through the night, like John Lennon said.

Too bad your lunch was overshadowed with same old, same old. I would have been drifting off, fantasizing about driving off in my car, lol. But NOT hitting a toddler standing in the wrong place :yikes:
You're hysterically inappropriate :rotfl:

Wondering how you cleaned the Mac & Cheese off the floor? The only thing retrieving anything off the floor for me at 2 1/2 weeks post op was my grabber. Can't imagine using it for Mac & Cheese though.

You're braver than me also, was afraid to attempt kneeling that early on. Can't recall when I got up the nerve.

Wondering how you're feeling this morning after all of the activity of yesterday? You had a pretty full day. I think at your point of recovery I was just cracking the door to peak out at the sunshine and smell the fresh air. An over exaggeration...but not by much.

I hope you have a great day, Joe! Your posts bring a smile to many a face I'm sure. :)
@JoeKnows
 
@Elsinore I'll post one for sure

@Layla Feeling good this morning! On the bike at the moment. The mac and cheese plate landed face up, thankfully. There was a little on the floor, which I cleaned up via golf pickup and baby wipes... Over the last few months (including pre surgery), my non op leg has gotten pretty strong, which helps, haha.

I've definitely avoided the infection threads... Same reason I didn't watch videos of the surgery beforehand - I'll visit those in a couple months maybe.

Haven't used anything topical on the hip itself, just lower back lately (had SI / lumbar issues since high school... Stupid distance running).

For the record, I didn't actually hit a kid with my shopping cart, haha.

As for lunch, I don't mind hearing them complain - validates my decision to jump ship!
 
I know you didn't hit the wayward child, silly.

Glad you're feeling good today. Excited for you to get your new ride, the recliner.

I did not want one, shook my head No, stomped my feet, it felt "old people" to me.
Hubs dragged me to the store, even talked me into a lift recliner. I loved it!! Doesn't go with my decor so off it went to the lower level after a couple months. Figured we save it for Lefty which I'm sure will appreciate it one day. I've already borrowed it to my mom who had her second THR and to my sister who had a TKR. And I slept comfortably in it for 3 weeks straight post op. We definitely got our money's worth. I think you'll love yours.
Let us know...
@JoeKnows
 
Oh I needed no encouragement. We've had a recliner for years, but it's a piece of junk - fake leather is falling apart, way too short for me, no lunbar support, etc. When my wife suggested we get a really nice one, I jumped on it. It should match our decor, since my wife picked out the color of the leather. And it's real, high quality top grain leather whatever that means. Plus a lifetime warranty for basically everything.
 
@JoeKnows I have to say, having been given a few more details and time-line on the soft tissue repair and how the new joint capsule forms etc, I get why no hip related physio for six weeks, other than walking, for me. However, I am going to the physio tomorrow to get some upper body, core stuff for my back, which is beginning to bug me. Everything I was doing pre-op is out of bounds now! I have "degenerative disc disease" so want to keep all areas not involved with hips as fit as possible, as it is the difference between back pain and no back pain. The OS assures me that with both hips done, I'll have more than 50% LESS back pain relief, as I will be using both hip joints effectively again, and not moving my entire pelvis from side to side. Also, OS said I can start the elliptical later on in rehab...probably after second hip six weeks of walking. I do take all the warnings about the second hip's speedy down-hill slide after first-hip surgery to heart. My second is "bad to the bone" already.

So excited, on crutches now. Feel like a new woman! Went with hubs to get more dressings (sure hope the going out venue improves soon...but small steps! We went for a coffee as well). Couldn't get parking right by pharmacy, so had to go around the corner, and walk with crutches the length of the block. DH had a fit about that, and I said he could go and get the car if necessary. He then fussed about using the ramp, heading for it while I was heading for the few stairs...saying that no, here are three steps to practice, and he's telling me to wait for him to come over.....wife out of control (hardly!) now that she has been let out :rotfl:. Back home, elevating and icing! I did sneak a few steps on the road over to the horse barn when we got home, and it was so much easier. Not sure if it is just time, crutches or both. Was told to turn around after about four steps...will do a little stroll in that direction this afternoon. I can't believe the difference a few days make!

Glorious Fall day here today...have a good one :SUNsmile:
 
Let's see if I can remember how to post a picture - the infamous recliner is here!

[Bonesmart.org] JoeKnows Recovery
 
Alright, think I finally got that to work... not sure why it refused to work before. Mods, if there's something about the post that's messing up the display of the board, feel free to delete and I'll start from scratch - I was going to do that, but didn't see a delete option.
 
Also, I just realized that I haven't taken Tylenol since last night. I did take one of those deep blue pills this morning, thinking I could take Tylenol if the pain increased. I'm just starting to get a slight pain (like a 1-2 level). I've been pretty distracted with work stuff - not the legal side, the business side. All good for me either way, just a question of which decision will lead to the best result.
 
And speaking of business decisions, I almost forgot I committed to talk to someone in 20 minutes about a potential opportunity... But I really don't want to leave the recliner. At least it's just down the street (at a wine bar, haha).
 
@JoeKnows Hard to get out of my recliner..bet it will be hard to pry you out of yours! The pink "stuffies" on the counter are so cute:loveshwr:
 
@JoeKnows I looked at your info profile today and realized I AM old enough to be your mother (my oldest is 32)...so maybe I was mothering a bit. Lol

Good luck tonight with your meeting.
 
Back
Top Bottom