THR JoeKnows Recovery

Yes, you're right, in leaving the stitch alone. I had one work it's way to the surface months post op.
It is crazy how our bodies reject what doesn't belong there. Thankfully they don't do that with our prosthetic :yikes:
I agree with Alitm that it can take until day two to feel any repercussions from an initial workout, it would probably be wise not to increase time or resistance if you get on the bike again today.
I hope you have a great day, Joe. Enjoy the massage!
@JoeKnows
 
@Layla Yeah if my prosthesis starts coming through the skin, I'll probably call someone... Haha.

I'm also eager for the steri-strips to come off, just so I can get a comparison picture of the incision. The internet tells me they can take a couple weeks though, so I'll try to do some of that "patience" stuff I keep hearing about.
 
I HAVE to have my coffee.
It's my spirit animal...but NO and double NO on walking there.
Was about to consult with Layla about your possible elimination from The List...but I see you aren't quite there yet.:nah:
Glad you seem to have an angel (or your wife) on the other shoulder keeping those dangerous thoughts at bay:good-bad:
I have to leave for work but pray you will behave.:beg:


There are others :skep: :skep:

Things are getting better...right?

Hope today is a Good Day!
 
@Mojo333 Don't worry, I didn't walk and am in the process of caffeinating myself, haha.

Things are most definitely getting better. There's a part of my brain just waiting for a setback, but the last few days have been baby steps forward without any steps back. Some new and interesting pains, like just above my patella and a shooting pain that was going to my shin, but theyve been fleeting and nothing a little ice doesn't handle. Presumably related to my gait trying to get back to normal.
 
@JoeKnows I'll see my OS this AM so hope he'll shed the light on the elliptical FOR DOWN THE ROAD! Have to have things to look forward to! Getting riding fit again is one of them :-)

That stitch will probably work its way out, but keep an eye on anything getting read or weapy. I had a C section with our twins (reg birth with no 3 at almost forty one...old Mom's rock!) and had that wound get a bit off around six week out, ended up on antibiotics. Also had an ectopic rupture before our "late addition" arrived, and had to have the C section op site opened up to sort out the ectopic. That wound also went a bit funny around six weeks too and more antibiotics. I was living in Bermuda at the time and the humid climate doesn't do great things for keeping wounds dry.

Your lack of stiffness level and time stretch is pretty impressive. Maybe give your self a day in between bike work outs to start with to see what happens, so you don't tempt the ODIC gremlins, and then can push to daily work outs as you see how it goes? I'm being really cautious. Maybe walk in stead on the "off bike" days? Vary the routine?

Hope you get your coffee sorted without causing a rescue pick up! The local roasting registered charity sounds like they are supporting a great cause and hopefully giving job opportunities to those who wouldn't be as employable elsewhere, thus giving them a leg up in the world. Every bit helps.

The massage sounds great, and will help break up any adhesions too....a two for one!

I'm off to the hospital this AM for my follow up x-rays, hopefully staples out (although they haven't been a bother thus far, dare I tempt fate by saying so!), and a date for hip #2 in 8 weeks. This will be my first outing, ten days from surgery #1. Can't wait to get out of the house!!!

Have a great day :SUNsmile:
 
@Alitm hope all goes well with the doc today.

If humidity is a worry for the incision healing, I'll be fine - Bakersfield is essentially a desert, despite the fact that we grow a significant portion of the country's food, haha.

I'm not sure I'd even count the bike as a workout to be honest - seems easier than walking. But I do plan to try and walk down to a park once the girls are off to school, so I'll likely skip the bike today. The park is a little under a mile round trip - I attempted it this weekend, but it was too darn hot.
 
Joe, you will have those odd random pains. Most of them are fleeting.
By the time you figure out what it may be, it's gone and there's another new one.
Good luck with the walk, remember to save enough energy for the return trip. :walking:
Can't help but worry about our peeps, right? :yes:
@JoeKnows
 
(reg birth with no 3 at almost forty one...old Mom's rock!)[/QUOTE]

Hey, @Alitm--agree with the older mom thing--45 when my son was born, a wonderful and unanticipated surprise!
 
Just finished the walk, a little under a mile. I think it took about 20 minutes, but wasn't timing it. I can definitely feel it - the muscle just above my incision (I think the gluteus medius) is tight. Stretched a bit in the shower, icing for the next 10 minutes or so before I need to leave for the massage. As much as I'd like that muscle worked on, it's a bit close to the incision and I'm not sure it's a good idea with the oils and whatnot.

I can also tell I'm using my lower back muscles on my right side a bit too much when my left hip muscles should be doing the work. Not at all surprising though.

I meant to go into the office today for a bit, buuuut probably not. I'll probably grab lunch with some buddies while I'm downtown, then head to the store, then fall - sorry, poor choice of words - gently descend into my recliner with an ice pack and water.
 
I know all that time walking "badly" had some back/leg/shin/foot consequences as things were working their way out. Good for you for balancing the activity with extra rest and ice.
(I took my lunch hour to see what kind of mischief you were getting into...:chinstroke:)
Hope the rest of your day is easy-peasy!
 
My massage therapist found sore muscles I didn't know existed. Unfortunately I failed to communicate how much I wanted her to work on my quad and I ran out of time, but still much needed. Guess I'll just have to book another session in a few weeks (and maybe 90 minutes).

Walking might have been a bit much... The leg is tiiiired. We'll see how it feels tomorrow.

My wife is taking the older kiddo to the county fair tonight, so I have the youngest solo again. I have the option of skipping her bath, but I might try doing it just to see if I can. Worst case scenario I can't, and I'll just let her play in the water for a while (I know I can get her in and out, it's leaning over and washing her that I haven't tried). She's almost capable of doing her own bath already (not that I'd leave her alone, I just mean she can sort of wash herself). If I can help with baths, that would go a long way for my wife's sanity, haha.
 
I know, you are a dad, and a lawyer, and a fairly fit human being...physically...but I think that you are doing too much...
You don't need to be bathing the baby, IMO...
I sincerely worry for you.

It's all the wrong moves and angles.
And the massage, okay...I sort of get it...at Maaaybe six or eight weeks.
Your legs are not tight and sore from physical activity or lack of use.
They are INJURED! Hurt...they want to be left alone!
:headbang:
All said with absolute respect and honest concern.
Just my opinion.
 
Last edited:
@JoeKnows Rest! At 2 weeks post-op, I wasn’t really ready for total mommy responsibilities. And at 3 weeks there was a terrible incident with the 2 year old and a potty seat stuck on her neck (there is photographic evidence on my post-op thread). Yes you can manage this. However, rest means faster healing. Let’s say your body only has 100 horsepower to do EVERY thing necessary (including brushing your teeth and sleeping). When you spend lots of extra energy to do other things....you reduce the energy available for repair and healing. Soooo you can do a bath and this and that, AND have less energy left over to heal. The faster you heal....the more energy you have for your life! Soooo rest!
 
Even at a month maybe, Joe, but not yet. I worry when you have to care for littlest little all alone at this point. I'm going to have to turn a blind eye toward you. You're making me nervous.
Please be careful and let us know when she's in bed, or mommy is back home so we can stop holding our breath. That's if you can forgive us for worrying about you. We do care or we wouldn't waste our time here expressing our concern.
Hoping all goes off without a hitch.
@JoeKnows
 
@Layla believe me, no need to hold your breath - if we weren't comfortable with it, I wouldn't be alone with her. I'll likely skip the bath, or just let her play in there while I sit and keep an eye on her. I think in the past you expressed concern about my ability to deal with an emergency situation - I'm confident in that too. Sure, if the house was on fire and I dislocated at the same time, it would be a problem... But the odds are as slim as me having a random stroke (and I'm 800 yards from a fire station, have automatic fire suppression, my neighbors are home and close by and one is an ex EMT, etc). As far as normal baby stuff goes, the little one isn't on the young side of one year either, she's turning two next month and mostly can entertain herself. If she's cranky I can just throw fruit snacks at her and she'll chill out, haha.

I appreciate the concern though, you all have convinced me not to push anymore (today). We'll be playing with blocks and reading books if anyone needs something...
 
A good ol laugh and a little reassurance and I'm breathing again.
But I think I'm supposed to be reassuring you, we did a little role reversal here...for a sec.
Now I'm baaaack.

Have fun with your littlest angel, lots of squeezes and kisses. Aww, I miss those days.
Sweet dreams!
@JoeKnows
 
@Layla - Everyone's fine. Kate's asleep, and she only lost three toes while I was in charge tonight... :heehee:

Did about a mile walk this morning. Felt the good kind of sore after (when I used to run we referred to strong sore and shaky sore - this was the former). Took a shower and stretched, iced for 15 minutes, then left for my massage.

The massage was great, though I think my therapist was afraid to get too close to the incision (which is fine, better safe than sorry). I know she wasn't avoiding my big hairy butt, since I've been using her forever and she's not shy about putting her elbow in odd places. Apparently my wife ordered some "deep blue" lotion and pills, which are an essential oil thing. Like I posted in wavehogs thread, I think it's mostly a bunch of voodoo but this lotion is essentially icy hot and does work for minor muscle pain. She convinced me to take one of the deep blue pills. She said a lot of sciency sounding words, and I took one without rolling my eyes because I'd feel rude not to (peer pressure, haha).

Went to lunch with some guys from my old firm, listened to them complain about all the same things that caused me to find greener pastures three years ago. This is the time I should normally have taken Tylenol, but I figured I would when I got home. Felt sore during lunch, as I often do after a massage (she's very strong considering she weighs as much as my leg).

Went to the grocery store for stuff. Mostly used the cart for support, but switched to the cane after a but because I realized I was limping. Nearly took out a toddler trying to steer with one hand (not my toddler though, so who cares... Shouldn't have been standing there anyway). :loll:

Got home, picked up, washed dishes, iced. Showered again to get the oils off and stretch in the hot water. Read for about 30 minutes before wife came home to change and then take the larger daughter to the county fair. I left to get the smaller one shortly after that.

Picked up kiddo, took her to one of my ex coworkers houses (he mentioned he was solo tonight as well, and he has a daughter who just turned one). Tried to introduce my kid to his dog, which is half golden half grizzly bear (Tex). Tex was great with the kids, but tried to tackle me - we've wrestled in the past, I was hoping he forgot about that. I survived without falling, felt surprisingly stable.

Went through taco bell on the way home, because I'm fancy like that. Made kiddo mac and cheese. Cleaned mac and cheese off the floor. Made a hot dog for kiddo. We ate our food.

I knelt next to the bathtub to see how that felt. Seemed okay, so ran a tub and dropped... I mean gently placed her in there. Tried washing her, but that's a no go - with the 90 degree restriction and my tight quad, the only way is to be on both knees and sitting up (not back on the heels). That lasted about 45 seconds before my back said no. So I splashed some water at her, helped her out, then bedtime.

It was around this time (7:30 or so) that I realized I hadn't taken Tylenol in about 12 hours. Not sure what to attribute that to - massage, movement, the deep blue pill, or general distraction.

Wife and other kid are apparently still at the fair - looks like they're having a great time based on the pictures. I'm very bummed to miss it. Last year I couldn't go because I had horrible allergies, which resulted in sinus infections constantly, for which methylprednisolone was frequently prescribed, which murdered my hip bone, which required the THR.

Actually they just got home as I was in the middle of the last paragraph - she had an awesome time! I ended up helping my four year old in the bath for a minute as well - waaaaay easier than a toddler since she's taller and mostly follows direction.

Anyway, I'm still in strong sore mode, not shaky sore. Definitely need to do more stretching on a regular basis. We'll see how tomorrow feels, but my current plan is to just do the no resistance stationary bike in the morning and if I feel good still, do a few hours in the office.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom