THR JoeKnows Recovery

Your incision looks good to me. Pretty clean in my opinion.
If you're concerned and want reassurance don't hesitate to make contact with the office of your OS who would probably let you forward the photo. Doesn't seem necessary though...

Following are some of the signs of infection - Just as an FYI
Fever
Unusual or increasing pain
The incision is hot to the touch
A change in the size of the incision
A change in the odor of the discharge
A yellow or green discharge that is increasing
Redness or hardening of the surrounding area
Excessive bleeding that has soaked through the incision

I hope you have a great day, Joe, and a wonderful weekend!
@JoeKnows
 
Well I'm sure she is missing your help with the kids, and I know I felt guilty about putting additional stress and work on my DH as he took over some of my duties at food bank and then played huckleberry and gofer to my father too as he had knee replacement one week after my BTHR.
Hopefully she understands how important it is for you to give this the appropriate time to heal AND rest else it will be even longer before you will be back to it.
I know you would do the same for her were the situation reversed.
All temporary...there will be an opportunity for you to reciprocate AND do double duty for her.
Hope today is a Good Day!:ok:

Isn't the recliner just the best?:yes:
 
Last edited:
Hi Joe, I hope you slept well last night and today is feeling a little brighter.

A couple things.....you may be experiencing a bit of the Post Op Blues. Many do, but it's often short lived.
That's the encouraging part.

I know you realize this....you can only do so much. You experienced a major surgery a mere 23 days ago.
It can take up to a year, or even longer to make a full recovery. You are in the very early days when you consider how long you'll have that prosthetic.

Trying to get back to work, keep up your nutrition and get the rest and sleep your body needs should be your main concerns. Your wife can handle the two girls for the time being. Allow her to do so without feeling guilt. While difficult at times, she can do it. We (women) are stronger than you think. It's only been three weeks.

Can you call on family (grandparents) to take the girls for a few hours, or take friends up on play dates if they've suggested it? I know little ones can frazzle our nerves in short order. They're like whirling dervishes, constantly in motion. Please try not to do more than you're physically able in an effort to relieve your wife. Set guilt aside for now, there's no reason you should feel guilty.

Possibly you and your wife should sit down this morning with a fresh cup of Java and a YouTube video. May I suggest "Live Surgery Total Hip Replacement" Eye opening!
Shouldn't leave any question that you currently have physical and mental limitations after the assault your body took on. Get the rest you need and take the time you need. It's about "you" right now.

Wishing you a peaceful guilt free day! :SUNsmile:
 
Thanks @Layla - I know there's no reason for guilt, we just got stuck in one of those cyclical conversations that spirals to a bad ending. Both over it this morning though.

Unfortunately my in laws are unable to help much right now. I think it is babysitter / date night time though.
 
Ah @JoeKnows, it must be so tough for your family going through this. I can well imagine your wife feeling a bit overwhelmed with the house and kids, plus hobbling hubby who can’t do his normal share of the household chores. I suspect, for both you and your wife the frustration must bubble up and make both of you crabby. I am so grateful it’s just me and my husband and no rug rats in the mix. I think keeping your sense of humor and perspective is essential, and definitely a date night might be in order if you can line up a sitter. That, and a glass of wine with dinner.
 
But....can you work your way out of situations with her via humor and your quick wit?
Does she ever try to keep a serious face and hold back laughter....possibly swatting at you while saying, "It's not funny, Joe!"
I'll bet she does :yes: :wink: :heehee:
@JoeKnows
 
Last edited:
Actually I remember reading through the thread about metal detectors, someone said security basically groped her hip. Another woman commented that if it happened to her, they'd get to know Irish anger or something like that - accurate, in my experience (though my wife's heritage is Scottish, but same concept).
 
Okay, night update - the marching motion is getting easier, as are most of the weird little pains. I've been fairly active still, I think the only difference is time. Still have pain near the groin (more frontal that groin though) if I try to do certain things, like a straight leg lift (not that I'm trying that often). IT band felt a bit tight this morning, but ice and massaging it helped and it's not bothering me now.

I've been either forgetting about my cane or just not bothering for short walks. I felt like I was almost normal, but had my wife watch me, and... no, haha. But better than before. So, I guess I'll keep being patient(ish).
 
Sometimes my mouth says things without consulting the brain first.

You have the right to remain silent...but not the ability!

Straight leg lifts can cause groin pain...as can marching.
Just drop that for now...as you said..Time.
 
@Mojo333 I don't do it regularly, more just... Hey does this still hurt? Let's see... But yeah I should probably just knock that off entirely. It's like the urge to poke at a bruise, or rub shin splints. Or like the old joke, "Doc, when I do this, it really hurts!" "Then stop doing that..."

Speaking of pain, this is weird: I woke up with a very sharp, stinging kind of pain outside the trochanter of my right (non-op) hip. Like on the skin, not the bone. I was laying on my back at the time. I don't see how this could be related to anything, but thought I'd float it out here to see if anyone can shed light on it. It went away once I moved around. It happened right at 3, so maybe it was my body deciding I should get up and watch the Ryder Cup coverage live...
 
That stinging happened to me too.
Odd...Nerve weirdness I attribute it too (not medical terminology obviously)
Can happen at strange times..feel like burning, stinging, sometimes just zips and zaps.
Mine seem to be mostly fleeting and my numbness seem to start dissipating as these strange phenomena came and went.
All part of the body getting those traumatized parts back to normal, in my opinion.
Rather unnerving at times...oops...maybe it is re-nerving.:shrug:
 
@Bionic - haha fair point... You'd have to give me really good odds to out money on the US right now. But if there's a repeat of 1999, I want to be watching! Honestly it's fun to watch regardless. I can't make a shot under the pressure of a $5 bet... Imagine being in front of a Ryder Cup crowd! Pro golfers are inhuman.

@Mojo333 - The weird thing is it's my non op hip. Maybe it feels bad to the left one, haha.
 
Joe,
Wondering if it's just something you pulled, or mildly irritated while favoring your op hip?
Just a thought...

Regarding ROM and a comment you made on another's thread about dress shoes / Court, wondering if you've ever noticed they sell a lot of no-tie shoelaces these days?
It seemed they were mainly for athletic shoes originally, but they have them for dress shoes also.
Google - Non-Tie shoelaces for dress shoes. They are not ideal in my opinion but an option and one that I'm sure many wouldn't even notice you were using. Not sure how quickly you need them, or if you'd even consider them, but it's a cheaper option than the loafers you seem to despise and with Amazon Prime could get some quickly.
Check it out.
I hope you have a nice day in the recliner watching the Ryder Cup and Football :loll:
@JoeKnows
 
Last edited:
Now that is odd...:scratch: but can only speculate it is as Layla suggests, an odd movement brought on by favoring op hip.
Perhaps rising out of recliner...it isn't a lift right? Mine isn't.
I caught myself coming out putting weight, in my case, on my faster recovering leg (two at once is tricky).. .so would put walker to the side and bring it in front of me to balance weight more evenly and use my upper body strength to get up easier!
Just a thought.
Hypersensitivity or just hyperawareness was prevalent during my recovery it seemed.
Stuff I probably ignored prior to surgery all of a sudden became a "hey, what was that...?"
:dubious:
 
@Layla Thank you! Didn't know those existed, I'll give them a shot. I can borrow some loafers for Tuesday morning.

Though I'm tempted to just wear boat shoes with a suit, haha. I only see 3 judges and 1 commissioner on a regular basis, and they all know my situation. There was one who used to send inappropriately dressed lawyers across the street to buy clothes (from a very expensive boutique) before he'd let them argue, but he retired, haha.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom