Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jodingers recovery thread<

@Irish471 yes! And how hard not to compare with how everyone else is doing too.
I've been loaned an exercise bike today + because of how sore the dratted knee was yesterday I'm really hesitant to use it today, I'll see how I go, maybe try it later!
How are u doing? Ur around the same span as me. I'm generally ok in the daytime, I potter around, do a tiny bit of house stuff eg I do pop washing in + do tea, but I do feel ok doing that, and I do 3 short walks out for 5-10 mins each time. I don't do any specific exercises but make sure I walk heel toe etc... to promote extension + flexion. It's such a balance between rest/ movement isn't it?
 
Sounds like you're doing exactly the right things. I had a little pedaler thing which I used to use occasionally just to 'oil the wheels' of my knees if sitting too long. It was helpful to measure progress. I really didn't fancy an exercise bike. I had one once but it was sooooo boring! Real walking was much more interesting especially as spring is setting in up here.
 
@Spex10
I have an exercise bike but my ROM means that I can only use it to gently go back wards and forwards, not over the top because my bend isn't good enough (will speak to the OS about that today)
Anyway, I have positioned my bike in front of my desk top which means I can watch something on TV while I am using it. It does seem to make the time go by more quickly.
 
@Jodingers , you described my typical day perfectly! I am fine with tylenol now during the day and if my leg isn’t elevated on my lounge doctor pillow, I am doing short little walks around the house or exercising.

My exercises consist of stretching and bending gently to the point of discomfort followed by icing for 30 minutes. I have physical therapy three times per week and we do the same exercises plus a short round of electric stimulation to help decrease swelling and increase strength in the quad muscle. He does do a bit of massage to try to loosen things up.

My Flexion (unassisted) is about 75 and my extension is not quite zero, either. It is what it is and I am working on it. Hopefully the numbers will start to improve :)

I think we are both right where we should be. We’ll get there, my friend :loveshwr:
 
@Spex10 I sat on the bike earlier + couldn't go 'over the top' tho, which I did at the physio on Monday, I will try the rocking forwards and backwards, I hadn't thought of that! Thank u
@Irish471 my pt sessions are 3 weeks apart! !! Good old NHS eh?!! Having said that , I'm generally happier today, I managed to walk up my quite steep stairs in consecutive steps first time this morning which has boosted me on . We will get there. :dancy:
 
@Irish471 are you maybe doing too much especially at PT. They don't seem to be reducing your swelling at all. Experiment with no PT for a week and see?
I used to measure the swelling with a tape measure. PT always increased it!
Didn't bother with PT for second TKR and had excellent results.
 
@Spex10 that's a good idea to measure your knee, my physio did it + I never thought to carry on. I've gauged my flexion by what I can do eg steps!
 
I've gauged my flexion by what I can do eg steps!
What you can do with your knee is actually far more important than the numbers.

My surgeon never measures the ROM. He looks at my knee and says "Show me what you can do".
 
@Celle , yes I understand that, it makes sense. I had just automatically measured my progress by activities, having said that I did measure tonight, 40 cm, means nothing does it?!!
Just happy I've had a better day today, I keep reminding myself what everyone says on here, that it's a marathon not a sprint.
 
@Celle I meant just measuring the actual swelling of my knee not ROM. If it had increased by several inches my degree of flexion was clearly reduced. The relationship between swelling and bend became very clear. It helped to prove the logic regarding this. It's worth doing if only to illustrate the need to reduce unnecessary exercise or forcing of bend.
 
Does anyone have any advice on promoting extension? I can still get my whole hand under my knee. I massage the hamstrings gently a few times daily, walk heel toe and rock on my exercise bike. Is there anything else I can do or just be patient?
 
Do you ever 'hang' your leg between chair and stool? Even for a short time? I have stressless recliners with separate footstools. I just move the stool slightly further away from the chair but with my legs still on it.
 
I do that occasionally, I will def increase the amount of times I do it, thank u @Spex10
 
I know it seems like you’ve been recovering a long time, but you honestly have a long ways to go yet. Our medical team really should tell us more realistically what to expect in this recovery.

I understand your frustration. I had a partial. Between all I read about partials before surgery, and what my surgeon’s office did and did not say, I expected a 2-3 month recovery.

It wasn’t until I found Bonesmart at about 4 weeks post op that I learned recovery, even from a partial, would take an average of a year. :yikes: I was shocked and angry that I had not been told that.

I was also upset that no one told me how hard this recovery could/would be. The few people I knew who’d had knee replacement never mentioned it. One said she loved her knee so much she wished she’d done it sooner.

Even after finding Bonesmart, month after month I would think, it’s been X months and I can still only do this much?

My surgery was 2 years ago and I’ve read about many Bonesmart members’ experiences and it truly is a long haul. The biggest thing we have to exercise is patience. :console2:
 
I know you're right, and I read the other threads repeatedly which say the same. Out of 3 friends who have had tkr, I found out that 2 have had MUA and the 3rd is expecting to... fills me with dread. Before I found Bonesmart everyone had advised me to exercise as much as possible post op to get the best result + that still messes with my head which I why I worry so! I am following bonesmart guidelines tho.
Doesn't help that last night my partner flung himself over me in his sleep which woke me up with a panic + pain just an hour after going to bed + I just couldn't get back to sleep after that so I'm tired + ratty. His response to my distress was that 'at least one if us can sleep in the daytime' which reduced me to tears yet again, not like me at all. He's certainly in my bad books now, he doesn't understand how painful this process is. I underestimated it before like u say. Past couple of days I've got a bit stuck in the 'wish I hadn't had it done' mode, which is daft as I was struggling so much before. I kow it will pass. Going out for a birthday meal tonight so will need to smarten myself up (inside + out) for then!
Tell me to get my act together you guys!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom