Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jodingers recovery thread<

I thought I would put a quick update on if it might help anyone.
The anti chafe thigh bands are great, soft and silky, non slip and prevent materials rubbing against my sensitive wound.
 
Please could anyone offer any thoughts or guidance on hydrotherapy? I will be almost 8 weeks post tkr when I start.
I've followed bonesmart advice regarding no specific exerises required and am doing really well. I'm happy to pay for the hydrotherapy if it will be advantageous.
I would be very grateful for any advice. Thanks
 
Jodinger,
Some find hydrotherapy very helpful. The biggest challenge people seem to have is it feels soooo good, they over do and pay dearly for the excessive exercise the following day.
Be sure you dose your exercise just like you would do any medication, a little is great, a lot can have an adverse effect.
 
@pumpkin that's very sensible advice , i've been really careful and listened to my knee and am progressing nicely, but yesterday went out and walked too far, unexpectedly, and am dearly paying for it today. It's made me a bit twitchy about the hydrotherapy. In fact I'm really tearful again and I thought my days of crying over my knee were over. Icing and elevating today.
 
Someone I know who had a TKR and was having trouble with extension found that a couple of sessions of hydrotherapy sorted him out and recommended them to me should I need it. One of the women in my Keep Fit class had also recommended the same practice as they sorted out her ACL post surgery problems. I guess like anything it depends on the therapist. As Pumpkin says, just be careful not to overdo it.
 
@Lindylee thank you, I have a one to one session first, then I can do the group sessions if I'm suitable. I'll see how I feel after the one to one.
 
How long will the session be?

I was put in pool therapy at 4 weeks post op and it was a 50 minute session with countless bending exercises. :yikes: It took me 3 painful days to recover. I did not go back.

Granted, that was at 4 weeks and you are 8 weeks, so you’re further along than I was.

Keep the session short. I don’t even know what to suggest. 15 minutes?

Since you are now recovering from a long walk, maybe be sure you have recovered from that before you have a pool session. It would be so sad to have a set back when you’ve been doing so well.
 
Just walking about in the pool would be a good start.
 
Thank you @Jockette , the first session is an hour, but I will only be in the water for 30 mins maximum as it's an assessment to see what I need and what I want out of the therapy. After that I think the group sessions are an hour long, I would be 9 weeks ish by then. I feel really quite hesitant now and anxious about going, I'm unsure whether to cancel. I know no one can say how I will cope with it. I will be paying privately too and it would be a lot of money to waste if I book the course and don't go. I may keep the initial assessment and see how that goes before booking the group sessions.
 
@spex I don't think I can go and just walk, the hydrotherapy pool offers either one to one sessions or group sessions. It's a private facility. I guess I could just walk in the first assessment? I'm guessing the group sessions are some form of exercises but will check that out. Would I benefit enough from just walking in the water? It's not cheap to go. I'm grateful for all advice. Thank you.
 
To be honest, I think I’d wait a while longer before going to the pool. You’re doing so well with what you are and are not doing at this point. You can always sign up later when you are more healed. I wonder if even 30 minnutes might be too long right now.
 
@Jockette thank you, after today and after the advice on here I've decided that i will do just that. I've done so well so far, overdoing it yesterday has really set me back, an unwitting friend took me out for much longer than arranged, I was so uncomfortable but wasn't in a position to get back on my own. I know I'll be ok with lots of rest and ice but it's really highlighted how early on in my recovery I am and how sensitive my baby knee still is. Hence the worry over how I may react to hydrotherapy right now. I can always rebook in in another month. Thank you again
 
I’m glad you decided to wait.

And we’ve all gotten into an overdoing situation that wasn’t planned. The good news is, the further into recovery we are, the shorter the recovery from a set back. ( usually, and depending on the set back)

And it was my surgeon who prescribed the pool therapy at 4 weeks and it was my regular PT facility that had me do all that. :doh:They did a bunch of things with me all along that I later found out through Bonesmart, that they shouldn’t have. No PT for me next time!

And I can’t find the post but I think Bonesmart actually recommends waiting until 3 months to go in the pool.
 
I found it really helpful just walking about in the water. It's more effortful than you might think. Then a relaxing float can be lovely.
I found it to be an odd sensation though: it was the first time I felt that I had an 'alien' part of me. The new joint seemed so firm and fixed but my muscles etc moved differently from it in the water. It's hard to explain. Sorry.
 
@Jockette that's great, I will defer the upcoming appointment. There's no rush and I'd rather go along with confidence and not trepidation.
@Spex10 I already feel like there's an alien in my knee! I don't even have a bath at the moment due to renovating our very old cottage so can't imagine how soothing a nice soak or float could be.
I feel I've been set back a good week but I do know it's only temporary and just a case of being patient and keeping the ice and elevation ongoing. Thanks guys.
 
Just realised I've repeated myself a few times, sorry people! Anyhow, at least I've made it clear I'm elevating and icing..... !! :loll:
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom