BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Jodingers recovery thread<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Jodingers, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Jodingers

Jodingers member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi guys. Thank you for all your advice here. Found it invaluable. Doing great until today when the burning and stinging started. Thought I'd overdone stuff. I do gentle exercises and icing 4 times daily but then stood and prepped and cooked a chicken tagine!!

Then I panicked in case I was brewing an infection, I have a 'zip' of tons of staples. I can't see any signs of infection so I landed on this forum. Really reassured me. I feel I'm doing really well, bend >90° , fully independent ADLs , gently weight bearing with crutches but so easily crushed and anxious. Not sleeping well either so will try the paper towel/cling film tonight and see if that helps. Thanks again, sooooo helpful.

2. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    @Jodingers,
    You'll notice that I have moved your post in the social room and started your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
    • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
    • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
    • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

3. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Sounds like you are having a normal recovery with all the ups and downs that go along with TKR.
    Doing too much will set your recovery back, listen to your knee and slow down when it feel stiff, sore, swollen, painful etc.

Please post your surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the exact date will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

4. Jodingers

Jodingers member

Thank you. I had right TKR on 20th March. I get told I must do my exercises religiously but I have been a little selective and used the selection on here rather than some of the more strenuous ones I've been told.

In the UK you see a physio before discharge and then a few weeks later in clinic so you are left to your own devices really. I have a booklet! Sleep is elusive due to random pain so I'm relieved to see I'm not alone. I do ice 4 times daily, the swelling isn't so bad, I think I'll feel better when the staples are out.

5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

6. Jodingers

Jodingers member

Absolutely. Today I'm very anxious + tearful. Yet I think I'm doing ok!

7. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Feeling anxious and tearful is very common after this surgery. :console2:

8. Jodingers

Jodingers member

Thank you, I understand that. Just another sleepless night. I went to bed with the paper towel/cling film on but after a couple of hours my knee felt really hot and I lost my nerve and took it off. I'll maybe try it again tomorrow .

9. Spex10

Spex10 post-grad

Persevere @Jodingers! It's very early days yet. Sleep when you can. I just abandoned the usual 'must sleep overnight in bed' mentality and got up and sat in my recliner and quietly read if I woke in the night. Nine times out of ten my husband would come through in the morning and find me sound asleep there. I'd let myself nap throughout the day if I felt like it. If all the bits of sleep added up to about 7 hours out of 24 I felt more or less OK.
    You're in a new normal now. Things will settle and never forget - 'This too shall pass'!

10. Jodingers

Jodingers member

Thank you spex10, I think I may have slept a total of 7 hours in the last 3 days! I don't nod off in the day though I'd be happy to.

Last night was so-so. I seem to tick every box, hip ache, back ache, shin ache, burning stinging nerve type pain, nausea for the first week, tho that has eased off now thankfully. Reading on here that these are all normal reactions has really helped to reassure me and I'm so grateful.

Today is another day. I'm going to try to weight bear more today. In UK we have elbow crutches and it's very easy to barely weight bear at all. I'd been nervous of doing damage by weight bearing (which prompted my mini meltdown yesterday when I thought I'd set myself back) but reading here that people are often just using 1 stick has given me confidence. Thanks again :)

11. Spex10

Spex10 post-grad

I'm in UK and had a walker for 1 day in hospital then just given sticks. I soon got down to only one stick as it was so awkward at home trying to manage with two. Don't worry about weight bearing. It's probably a good thing and should help the implants to 'bed in'.
    Relax and give in to just recovery and rehab. Let others help out. Don't bother with exercises but keep moving around the house. I used to pace from front door to furthest point of the place every hour then increased to walking round the gardens and onwards and upwards from there.

12. Jockette

In my pre op class we were told not to be afraid of our new joint, it would be strong right away, so not to be afraid to put weight on it. It was very helpful to know that ahead of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jodingers

Jodingers member

I wish I'd known that! I've already started to weight bear more and will drop to 1 crutch (I don't have a stick) over today and tomorrow. Means I can make myself a cuppa!

I do like the stretch/extend type exercises, I have such a wasted thigh muscle it feels good to start to move it. Thus morning I raised my straight leg about 10 inches. I'm astounded, I couldn't do that at all a couple of days ago. :)

You are so helpful and encouraging! Where in UK are you?

14. Jockette

That’s great! As you heal you’ll be able to do more.

I’m in the US, in the state of Delaware.

15. Jodingers

Jodingers member

Thx Jockette, I love the fact that we can communicate all around the world! I'm in Nottingham, England, town of Robin Hood! I've had a good start to today. Am I right that I should use my crutchest on the opposite side to my affected knee?

16. Jockette

It is amazing meeting people here on Bonesmart from all over the world, and some only an hour away! I’ve never been to England.

I’ve never used crutches but I did use my cane on the opposite side from the operated knee. But, it was my left knee and I’m right handed, so it seemed very natural to have the cane in my right hand. I’m not sure it would have felt that natural if it had been my right knee and having to have my cane in my left hand. :heehee:

17. Spex10

Spex10 post-grad

I'm in Scotland. You should get a stick as you'll need it once you get rid of the crutches. Use in opposite hand from TKR. I'm surprised you weren't supplied with one. You need to get the right length.

18. Jodingers

Jodingers member

I go to out patient physio in a week so I'm sure they'll sort me one out then, in the meantime I'll use a crutch in one arm as I do know that has been sized for me. I've been pottering about this morning + feel ok. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
    ai63.tinypic.com_eta39s.jpg

4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
    This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
    (which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
    - how many sessions you do each day
    - enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
    etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
    - how many times a week
    - enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
    etc., etc.

20. Lilli215

Lilli215 senior

@Jodingers, first tkr I had I was given sticks, this time round was given elbow crutches, love them compared to the sticks. I used two crutches for first two weeks then went down to one. Byweek 5 I was only using the crutch for stairs and outdoors. I’llbe at week 7 on Monday and this morning I went up and down the stairs without it (although still one foot at a time) and went out for brekkie with hubby and didn’t take the crutch. Your body will let you know when you can start going without them— with me it was getting up in the night to go to loo and realising when I got there I’d left the crutch in the bedroom.