TKR JennyLynne’s Next Chapter

Understandable! I'm so sorry you are sitting there itching and worrying! If it's not abating then the surgeon's office needs to know that too. if for no other reason than to keep them up on how the skin reaction is going compared to other patients who experienced the rash. :friends:
 
JennyLynne,
Please try not to allow your thoughts over this go to the bad place. I can’t blame you, but like, CricketHip, I don’t think its a sign of infection.
These are signs of infection -
Fever
Unusual or increasing pain
The incision is hot to the touch
A change in the size of the incision
A change in the odor of and discharge
A yellow or green discharge that is increasing
Redness or hardening of the surrounding area
Excessive bleeding that has soaked through the incision.

Keep in mind you’ve been proactive and sent a photo. If it will make you feel better to call again tomorrow, or send another pic...do it so you‘re reassured that all is well.

@JennyLynne
 
While our knees are important, I can say , 110 days between haircuts annoys me more! Was fortunate to find my barber setting up to reopen, he let me in before official opening! Felt like a million bucks...knees be damned!...all about our hair! Until we get that addressed, then back to the knee... best wishes for a slow and steady recovery
 
Maybe it is just a contact dermatitis, have you changed anything recently? New soap, laundry soap etc? I know last knee surgery my skin was terrible, peeling, itchy, and looked terrible. It was all over my arms, face and arms. I just kept applying a good moisturizing lotion where appropriate and it finally helped. Hope you get some answers.
 
@SpaceGirl thank you for sharing that- I found my skin to be exceptionally dry everywhere too! I eventually got it under control. Then this happened. Can’t think of any new products. However, the PT massage and subsequent wiping off of the skin could be irritating it? That towel always feels rough. Who knows?!?
 
Just a thought - have you changed your laundry soap lately? Hope you can talk to someone at your surgeon's office soon.
 
@Jaycey nothing has changed here that I can think of. I did use some of my “regular” body lotion around the area, which may have irritated the skin, but this seems like quite a reaction.
 
However, the PT massage and subsequent wiping off of the skin could be irritating it? That towel always feels rough. Who knows?!?

This is a good question, especially considering the strong detergents that are most likely used on the towels, there.
 
Don't let PT massage or touch your knee for a couple of weeks and see if that awful itching goes away. It'd sure be worth a try. I can't think of anything more aggravating than a constant itch.
 
That PT massage is the highlight of my week... I feel so much looser after. Would be a real kick in the can if that’s the culprit!!

I did, however, cancel PT for today.
 
So, my rash hasn’t gone away. It definitely looks and feels better around the knee, but it crept up higher above the knee, and that area is itchy.

I left a message for the nurse on Monday, and I’m really surprised they haven’t called back. may call again today... but it does seem to be improving a bit?

going to Pt today... partly to have another set of eyes on it!
 
One other annoying thing... my right eye has been twitching since surgery, several times a day. What on earth is causing that???
 
So, my rash hasn’t gone away. It definitely looks and feels better around the knee, but it crept up higher above the knee, and that area is itchy.

I would call again this morning and ask if they will look at the original photo, and a second you take today for comparison. I think it’s important a medical professional reassures you that it’s nothing serious or anything to worry about. It may bring you peace of mind.

As far as the eye twitch, my first thought was a medication, but as you know I’m not a medical professional and I’m not even sure if you’re still on meds. I did a quick online search and several times came up with a few of the same possibilities. Fatigue, Stress, Lack of Sleep, Caffeine, Eye Strain. Certainly not diagnosing, but if you feel any of these pertain, you may want to start there.

If a nurse from your surgeons care team calls in regard to your itchy rash, I’d ask her about the eye twitching and see what she has to say. If you want real peace of mind, try your primary doctor. While I’m guessing it’s benign, as I think most of us have experienced annoying eye twitches, it would be nice for you to gain some reassurance in regard to both.

I want you to be a relaxed happy camper! :)
 
I agree. So many of us are tired and stressed and you have a recent major surgery to add to the mix. We’re living in a crazy uncertain world, crazier than most of us have experienced in our lifetime and it doesn’t seem to be slowing down. Between Covid, all the civil unrest not to mention the political divide and an election year...ITS A LOT!

I really hope you seek / get some answers so you can go into the holiday weekend in a more relaxed state. Keep us posted. Rooting for you always!!
@JennyLynne
 
@JennyLynne I get that eye twitch when I’m overly tired and stressed about something. It usually goes away in a few days, and I’ll bet that will happen for you, too. Keep us posted on the rash. I hope that goes away soon, too!
 
@SpaceGirl it’s about the same. It covers more area- mid thigh to a little below my knee. The areas that first popped up are better but the newer spots are itchy!!

The nurse called yesterday and asked for another picture. I got it to them around 4pm and didn’t hear back. I’ll follow up this morning.

We are expecting scorching hot weather this weekend. I have holiday plans that are outside and I’m sure this rash won’t like it. I had planned to be IN THE POOL, but clearly that isn’t happening!

(sort of wish I could cancel it all and just watch Hamilton all weekend!!)
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom