TKR JennyLynne’s Next Chapter

Glad to hear it is going well! Don’t you love when things begin to feel normal. Just be sure to take it easy and not over do it!
 
Hit the 6 week mark yesterday. My incision area celebrated by becoming increasingly itchy and irritating (though does not look irritated). Woke up several times during the night and it took all my willpower to not scratch my leg raw! Tried to just use my pajama pants to create a little friction and relief. It’s making me crazy!!

Today Is a big day for me... a hair appointment! First since early March, and I am so excited!!!! I swear, I get distracted on my work video calls because I’m staring at my roots!:heehee:
 
Hey JennyLynne,
Wondering if you‘ve tried icing when the itching becomes that intense? if not, give it a try if it happens again and see if it helps.

Happy Six Weeks to you! The hair refresh will make it a great Wednesday. Enjoy! :)
@JennyLynne
 
It is so uplifting getting our hair done! I almost always walk out with a new, improved attitude. Enjoy your progress!
 
@JennyLynne Yay for a hair appointment! I’m kind of fascinated by my gray roots, but we’ll see how long that lasts. I’ve found that getting out into the world is the most wonderful form of therapy, too. It’s great to have some normalcy back again, isn’t it!
 
@JennyLynne there is nothing worse than an itch which can't be scratched, it can drive you nuts, :gaah:from experience ( I was in a gas explosion) a few years ago and had 3rd degree burns to both legs the worst part was the healing actually the "Itch" obviously I couldn't scratch so I used lots of iced "Wine Coolers" wrapped around my legs the relief was instant :ice: Here in Europe we can get an ointment called "E45 itch relief cream " maybe where you are there is something similar but good old :ice: works just as well xx
 
Thanks for the itch tips. Ice does help quite a bit and I ordered some cream that my PT suggested.

Speaking of PT... she measured today to send to my doctor. Bend is 82... still not good but it’s another 7 degree gain in a week.

Hair appt was GLORIOUS, lol. My stylist had a stool waiting for me to elevate and I was fairly comfortable throughout. Even the 20 min ride didn't bother me (I drove myself). It was a success all around.
 
Advice please: there are three patches of skin around the incision area that are red and a bit raised and itchy. My PT said that it didn’t look like anything to be concerned with, but it looks more pronounced now. Almost like a hive?

I admittedly find myself rubbing the areas without realizing so that could be part of it. And I have sensitive skin. And I have really bad dry skin peeling all around the area. Almost looks like eczema?

Anyone else have this?
 
Last edited:
Looks worse in photo that I realized
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] JennyLynne’s Next Chapter
    3C5E2EB3-6B0C-4943-8B46-008F854EAC17.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 257
Hey there,
Please try not to worry...most often these questionable instances are just part of the process for some. If It was me, I’d send the same photo, to the surgeons office this morning with the hope they get back to you soon so you can be at peace about it. I’m sure a Nurse or Physician Assistant will be able to reassure you all is well. I believe it will be most comforting to hear it from them. Please let us know what you hear. We all learn through these experiences. Wishing you a perfect weekend! :SUNsmile:
@JennyLynne
 
Thanks @Layla .... I just left a message with the nurse. Why do these things always pop up on Fridays?
 
I know!!
I really believe you’ll hear back from them soon, hopefully putting your mind at ease so you can enjoy a lovely weekend!
Hugs, dear JennyLynne :friends:
 
Update: the PA reviewed my picture, and said it’s a common reaction. He also noted they are seeing it more recently and that they think the Hibicleans wash formula was changed slightly and it’s causing a lot of skin peeling and then a rash several weeks out. (I had a lot of skin peeling... really bad)

Regardless... said take benedryl for 2 to 4 days and use topical cortisone cream if I want.
 
Thanks for updating us @JennyLynne . Now we can ask other members with the same problem if they used Hibicleans. The old formula made me itch. I dread to think what the new formula will do!
 
Seems so odd that some antiseptic wash from 6 week ago could be the culprit!

No improvement since Friday, and it may have gotten a tad worse. Pretty much the same. I’ve been taking benedryl. Thinking of calling doctor again tomorrow. I don’t know if these things take time to resolve??

I have a question... because my mind of circling... a skin rash is no indication of an infection in the joint???????
 
I have a question... because my mind of circling... a skin rash is no indication of an infection in the joint???????

Oh gosh, JennyLynne, can't imagine that is a sign of infection, I would think that the incision itself would be oozing and you'd have other symptoms,, BUT! I know how it is to start the worrying cycle and if you are worried, then you should contact your OS office tomorrow morning..
Interestingly my sister just had a knee replacement almost 4 weeks ago and she recently sent me pictures and I was so surprised at how her skin was peeling.. all around her knee!! I will ask her if it's progressed to itching.

Please try not to worry, and for sure, call your Dr office tomorrow.
I hope you had a good day otherwise..
 
Thanks @CricketHip ... the thought was gnawing at me, but i have very little pain in general and none on the skin. I just had to put it out there.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom