THR Janet’s recovery - 2nd hip done

Thanks for checking in on me. I appreciate all the well wishes. Today (Thursday) was rough but at one point I had pain of zero and one point of joking with my bf when he said “tonight’s going too easily and feel like we are missing something”. I agreed and figured out my being miserable was the missing point. Got a good laugh there. Did therapy, just ankle pumps, walked a little every hour, had good food, showered, just feel like a new girl. Therapy lady said accidents happen when your guard goes down.

Thank you all for listening to my venting. This will turn out a ok. Bedtime is approaching, best wishes everyone. Love to all.
 
You sound great, Janet. You're going to have ups and downs. Part of the process for most of us.
I know you remember because it hasn't been that long since your first THR.
You've handled everything so well this far. I have every confidence you'll come through this with
flying colors. And if you need to vent....no apologies, or thank you's necessary. Who better understands
a little venting than us? I think that's why we have these >':tantrum2: :tantrum::gaah::hairpulling: lol!
Hope your night is peaceful and comfortable!
@newhip126
 
That first time when pain is at Zero! That’s s a good start. And a shower and a good meal can really lift our spirits.

Hope you have a good weekend. Keep an eye out for those small signs of progress. Keep doing what you are doing.
 
Rub it in @AgilityDog - in Missouri, there is often at least a 100 degree difference between the highest high and the lowest low in a year! So, this summer, we'll have Temps in the high 90s to 100s with humidity in the 90s - yuck! So that was 1 extra bedroom, right?
 
Missouri doesn't sound like my cup of tea. The total number of bedrooms is One. @SaraK The floor is pretty great for walking with a new hip. (The elliptical is facing the TV.) In the meantime, I have the mini one Josephine had on a list here.
 
Well surgery is finally over and now your new shinny hip needs time to settle in while bone grows to hold the implant securely in place. Now on to stage two learning how to walk Again! Baby steps!
 
@newhip126 is a double hippy now.
You've been down this road before, but now all done.
Hope your weekend is relaxing!
:ice:
 
Hey Janet...
Stopping by to say Hi!
Hope you're doing okay and that your pain is tolerable.
Getting lots of rest I'll bet.
Wishing you a peaceful first weekend of healing at home!
@newhip126
 
Hi all,

Wanted to check in on everyone, but didn’t get far. I know I just had major surgery, but my mood is so low, my pain so high that I’m worried. I know addiction issues cause me to need higher medications, but comparing myself to everyone else is frustrating. I’m reading where 4 days after their leg being cut off, people are taking half an oxycodone 5 mg and I’m taking a baseline of morphine with oxycodone as a breakthrough. I guess realizing what I did to my human body is very jarring and very eye opening.

I’m truly happy everyone is doing so well, and I think I just had a pity party for myself....lol
 
My friend please do not compare your recovery to any other recovery. Recoveries are all different - even on the same person. And everyone has a different pain tolerance.

You are just days out of some major surgery that was traumatic. Are you using ice and elevating? Ice and your meds will get that pain under control. Take your meds as prescribed around the clock until you start forgetting doses. That's the sign your body is naturally weaning off your meds.
 
Aww, Janet...I'm so sorry you're feeling down, sending a hug your way. :console2:
We're here anytime you want to talk, or vent. Pity parties allowed.

It is difficult to not compare recoveries but try really hard not to.
Even if you need to step back for a few days until you're pain has lessened and your mood
is improved. Possibly then you won't be as tempted to make comparisons.

You're so very early into the healing process at only 6 days out. I'll bet a week from now you'll
look back and realize the progress you've made. Hang in there, it will get better.
Big hugs!
@newhip126
 
No comparisons! Everyone and every hip different
I worry too and haven’t even had the surgery yet as I can’t take much as far as pain meds go. Allergies and poor tolerances leave me wondering how I’ll get through the first weeks.
However I do surprise myself at how much some of the simple things help such as ice and for me a hot bath or hot shower (relaxes muscles and my brain- being anxious over pain just ramps it up for me)
So day by day you will get there
Come here often to vent pity parties ok for now
 
@Jaycey

I elevate and take pain meds by the clock, I don’t wait until I hurt, I ice whenever I’m awake and the swelling has gone down considerably. The pain I feel is stinging, burning in my incision, stabbing pains down the front of my knee and thigh - there are 6 ice packs getting a good work out here. Plus I’m taking 4,000 mg extra strength Tylenol every 12 hours. I listen to bonesmart before the pt guy all the time.

@Layla

I think a few days to sort my meds and thoughts would do me good.

Here’s a close up...

Thank you all for being here for me.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Janet’s recovery - 2nd hip done
    D9C58849-74C1-4E65-B470-DF1AD65C8A12.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 213
Your incision looks nice. So clean....I'm impressed.
Take the time you need, Janet Get lots of rest and collect your thoughts. We understand.
Just know we're here, day or night. Lights never go out.
Prayers for your comfort, relief from pain and peace of mind.
Hugs
@newhip126
 
As others have said @newhip126, everyone has a different pain tolerance. The pain I had with second hip was different than pain with first. For the first two weeks I took medications as prescribed, in part because I have a concern regarding addiction issues and will not take medication when it really is needed. Like Jaycey said, I got to point of forgetting doses and the pain lessened as healing continued.

I don’t know why the two surgeries, performed by the same surgeon, using the same approach hurt so much differently, but they did.

The pain will improve in its own time. 6 days is not very long considering the trauma our body goes through. And I think we have all had a pity party, or two, or twelve, even if we don’t talk about them much.

Hope you get some rest.
 
Here’s a correction in Tylenol dosage - I meant 24 hour time period, not 12 hours. Oops. Lol. Actually could wait 4 hours between oxy dosage this time. All I have is surgical pain, not much swelling, and incision looks to me very clean. Let’s check on some others now....
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom