THR Janet’s recovery - 2nd hip done

newhip126

Country
United States United States
OS assured me he is following pain management dr protocol to the “t”, which there must be a disconnect somewhere. Pain dr wrote for long acting morphine, every other coverage would addressed by 15 mg oxy every 3 hours. I got no morphine Monday although nurses insist I got it last night. Naturally, I told Dr his nurses are doing something they shouldn’t be doing.

Everything got straightened out this morning, had dose of morphine. I think surgeon came in this morning, looked at chart and got all nurses on board. Still in bad pain but I’m hoping it gets better. Took all meds for today. Just came back from PT and go back at 1. Good therapist here. Told them all about bonesmartz, very interested.

:welome:
Welcome to the other side.....Woohoo! So very happy to see you here, Janet.
Here's the Recovery Article. Please check it out when you have time.
I hope they get those meds adjusted soon so you're more comfortable.
We're all rooting for you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Are you able to keep it iced & foot elevated? I had ice, but a challenge keeping it elevated properly. I think. Perhaps my brain is still a bit muddled. :heehee:

Josephine has a great 'schedule' as a guide for activity. I saved it in my phone. I can find it for you if that helps.

I'm glad, happy, relieved that it appears that your meds are sorted out!:yes!::happydance::egypdance::friends::flwrysmile:

@newhip126 Welcome to the other side (again). You are now an official member of the double hippie club.

Work with staff to get that pain management cocktail just right. And please go easy on the PT. New hips need rest.

Glad you got to doc and get pain management straightened out. Since pain got ahead of you it may take a bit for everything to settle.

Hope pt continues well. I think you will like double hips-I’m starting to get used to them!

Glad you're now on proper med schedule @newhip126 , hopefully the pain will start to be controlled better now:fingersx:

Wishing you a speedy recovery @newhip126 - Ice, Ice, Baby and get that pain under control! Looking forward to following your recovery!

I hope you're doing well, Janet. Also hoping they have your meds figured out and pain under control.
Get lots of rest. Ice, ice, ice and update us when you're feeling comfy and up to it!
Hugs to you!
@newhip126

Oops...I was on your other thread about to curse somebody about getting your pain managed.
So relieved for you.
:) :-) (:
Thank goodness...wasn't wanting to make a road trip

@Mojo333

I could have used a friendly face after surgery. I’m home now, and it’s rough.

My heart rate went up as the oxygen saturation level went down. Dr thought I was throwing a clot so did ekg and checked blood (?) and finally decided the stress and anxiety of surgical services combined with a headache medicine I take caused “perfect storm”, drs thought I was going to punch someone that night.

Got meds straightened out, ice is a bit of an issue but I’m gonna focus on that today - a better job I’ll do.

Moving around is slow going, and I don’t remember this much pain. Bf is advocating for me best he knows how.

Thanks all!!

I’d tag you all but I’m exhausted and have to sleep.

Glad you’re home @newhip126. Pain could be completely different with this surgery. No two recoveries are the same. Keep icing and elevating and taking meds as prescribed. From what most everyone says, and my own experience, pain can diminish significantly after the first week.

Get all the rest you can.

Hi Janet,
Happy to hear you're home. It feels so much more comfy to be in your own space.
I'm so sorry you're getting off to a rough start but that can all turn around. Prayers it starts leveling out.
I'll bet once you settle into a routine at home with your meds and icing you'll start feeling better.

Please don't worry about tagging anyone! Just post on your thread, you know we're all stopping by to see how you're doing anyway...

Sending a hug and best wishes for a comfortable evening :console2:
You can do this, we'll be cheering you on. :yay:
@newhip126

This is all temporary. You’ll get into a rhythm, the pain will lessen each day. Ice, elevate, rest.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks