TKR Jan 22 2103: Tere's left knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
No call back today frommy OS. Thanks so much for your message. I can't tell you what it means to get support from somewhere. We are flying to Texas inn late M ay from california for my Grandaughters graduation. My goal is for that trip.
 
Dr called this sm wants knee tobe kept wrapped for two weeks 4-10-2013 also wants me back inpt today. Soo iamoffat 11:30 to pt. I can hardly bend the knee but I will follow instructions. Not looking forwsrd yo this today.
 
I feel like I just took 2 major steps backward. Went to PT TODAT I am only at about 85/90 on Bend. Why when Os got 120 in the OR ????? My incision is covered and has to stsy that way until April 9th. Just hoping it heals perfect this time. My knee reallyy hurts when Im doing my pt at home. Guess I am just having a pity party tonight. I truly feel back to square one. I am grateful I have this site to vent oon. You are what keeps me focused amd looking forward. Thank you all so much for listening. You are my support .
 
Happy Healing Easter Blessings being sent to you all. Patients and SUPPORT PERSONNEL. YOU HAVE BECOME A GREAT BLESSING IN MY LIFE. Especially Bottomshollow, you are my secret Angel here on Earth. Thanks for the life lines you throw me. I appreciate your wisdom sooooo much. May you be Blessed. Thanks
 
Tere hang in there! You have been through a lot and now you are starting all over again after the MUA. I am more worried about those infected areas than your ROM. Don't overdo and rest. Do everything that Bottomshollow told you. I would be happy with 85/90 :).

Things will get better! Happy Easter! Rest and relax! Take care!
 
They get good bend after he MUA but the swelling actually sets you back. I was 122 in PT following MUA but 2 days later back to 90. When I finally got the swelling down the range of motion improved. I have now at 13 wks regained all that and am around 122 maybe more. The tight band is gone though if I really over do it can come back but it never has felt as tight as before the MUA. So don't worry it will come gradually but probably quicker as long as you ice and elevate to keep the swelling down. I also did change my PT to someone who did not force my bend.
 
It's been a while since I posted. You all have been the Best support ever !. I will go back to my OS on Tuesday 4-9 to have the staples taken out of the two incision spots that didn't heal. He will probably not be happy with my ROM. As he even did a Manipulation while I was under. But I just haven't had the dedication to be working the knee. Besides I now have a Yeast infection from all the Antibiotics they have given me this past month. Here's hoping that the visit goes well. At least my Crying jags have all subsided, the pain is controlled, cut back on Pain Meds . I will be happy to just focus on getting my ROM where is should be . Praying that the incision is totaly sealed and healed. Thanks everyone.
 
You certainly have my prayers, Meezermom, that all is well next week. Please tell me the amount of pain you were in after the MUA. I'm having one on Monday when I have my second knee replaced! Yikes! I'm pretty nervous about doing this again! Knee #1 is only ten weeks old!

I think you are now on the road to a great recovery. It's just going to take TIME......I know, it seems like it's already been years since the original surgery! We WILL get there......and we'll be glad we did this. We just have to find that patience, and keep thinking about the future! Take care!
 
Ice our knee after MUA. In forcing the Bend the break through the adhesion's but also mes with the tissues in that area. Mine was aching and I had to elevate and Ice. Praying yours goes well.
 
I am now post op LTKR 9 weeks. However, I have been on Norco for 3 years due to RTKR done twice then back problems then the left knee. My knee is feeling better. I just had some issues with y incision and a MUA. My pain level is much better but every 4 hours I am reaching for the pain meds even through the night. I would like to wean off the Norco. I have Tramadol that I never used would it be better to go to that first? I am still having some knee pain but I think I could get by with something less. You have been my salvation going through this surgery so I am hoping you have some good suggestions for me to make this as easy on my system as possible. I notice I am having headaches also a stiff neck, if I go past 4-5 hours without a pill. Any help you have will be appreciated. You have got me through the worst pain ever.
 
Our esteemed watchhen, Josephine offered a practical schedule for withdrawing. I'm in your lifeboat (several yrs on Norco) and will have a first TKR in June. This looks like something very do-able that I plan to follow post-op. See what you think and best of luck.



SCHEDULE FOR WITHDRAWL FROM PAIN MEDS
From: Bonesmart mother hen, Josephine

Here is a suggested schedule for cutting back on prescription pain medications. Stay at each level for 3-4 days or even longer if you notice the pain symptoms increasing. This schedule assumes you are starting with one pill every 4 hours before beginning the reduction process.

1 pill every 6 hours and 2 at bedtime
1 pill every 6 hours and 1½ at bedtime
½ pill every 4 hours and 1½ at bedtime
½ pill every 6 hours and 1½ at bedtime
½ pill every 8 hours and 1½ at bedtime
½ pill every 8 hours and 1 at bedtime
1 pill if you are really doing something active during the day and 1 at bedtime

It is usually better to wean off these meds over several weeks, not several days. But if you are still having pain, then your body is healing and you still need pain relief. And in this case, I would discuss your pain management with your GP instead of your surgeon.
 
Luigi is right: take a few weeks to wean off.

You can design your own schedule. Write it out. Resist improvising or speeding it up.
Start by sticking with your current schedule (q 4 hours) but reducing dose. My reason for recommending this is because your body is telling you it wants more at the 4 or 5 hour mark. Reduce the dose by maybe one-quarter. You can reduce by less as well (e.g., 1/8). One way is cutting pills. Another is to dissolve whatever dose you take in water -- say, one cup -- then drinking 3/4 of the cup or even 7/8. Stay on a dosage level for 5 or more days before reducing again. Reducing dose once a week makes it easier to keep track of what you're doing. Try to keep an even level of the drug in your system at all times.

Weaning from a drug like this can fail if you go to fast. Just go slow.

I had to get off a far more addictive medicine. It took two months. Getting off narcotics is easier by comparison. Good luck!
 
If you have Tramadol, I suggest you switch over to that first and try it for a week or two. It's a step down from the Norco. I didn't catch from your post any indication that it's time for you to switch to just Tylenol, since you indicate that you still have pain and discomfort after 4 hours. Let's see what Josephine says.
 
Thanks for the schedule. I start today. Wishme luck and again, I cannot Thank you all enough...you were my life line these past 2 months. I am so grateful.
 
My pain level is much better but every 4 hours I am reaching for the pain meds even through the night. I am still having some knee pain but I think I could get by with something less.
At 9 weeks and an MUA, I think it's too soon for you to be weaning off these. By your own admission you are still in pain. It won't hurt to wait another 2-3 weeks and then start. You need to NOT be in pain to wean off successfully.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Jan 22 2103: Tere's left knee
​
 
Today I did the one every 6 hours tonight at bedtime I will do the 2 hope it will get me through the night. I am so use to getting up at least 2 times a night. Tomorrow is my big day. . Having the staples taken out. Hope it doesn't hurt and that my knee moves better. Thanks so much again for all your support and help. Especially Josephine. Sorry for the duplicate post. I didn't know.. I post update tomorrow night. Praying for a full nights sleep. :thankyou:
 
Wow best nights sleep I have had since before my surgery. Plus it did not hurt to have the staples out. It was a good dsy. I really feel like I have turned the corner. Thanks to all for your help. Still have to wait one more week before going in our spa. Now I can just focus on my rom.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom