TKR Jan 22 2103: Tere's left knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Jan 22 2103: Tere's left knee
Meezermom, please take a deep breath and try to relax a bit. MUA does not take very long and whatever he is doing on the incision should not take long either-- maybe 15 or 20 minutes. You will not be under anesthesia very long. You will be sore and achy, but it won't be like it was after surgery.


Well, your knee will be swollen again for a while. So you'll have to be careful not to let anyone cause you pain by trying to bend it until the swelling goes down. Your flexion measurement might go down and be less for a bit. I think 100 at 8 weeks is not bad at all---but that's just my humble opinion. But it should improve given enough time and TLC---the TLC being a biggie here.

This is a tough recovery, and it's all the more difficult when those closest to you just don't get it. That's why we're here. Let's just keep thinking that this will fix the incision problem and in a two or three weeks your flex will be more than 100. Keep your chin up---there's light somewhere at the end of that tunnel---if you can't see it----light a candle. But remember, it's going to take a lot more time to get where you want to be. A couple more months will see much improvement and by 6 months you will begin to feel ALMOST "normal" and it will keep getting better and better. But it IS a long haul. It's just hard for others to see because on the outside you look well---but on the inside of that knee a lot is still going on for a long time.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Jan 22 2103: Tere's left knee
 
Thank you sooooo much. Your kindness is truly appreciated, I wish anyone inmy family could understand where I am physically and emotionally. Thanks so much
 
[Bonesmart.org] Jan 22 2103: Tere's left knee
Anytime you need to vent or whine or find a shoulder to cry on----we're here! We know and we understand what's happening.


I've had a hip done and both knees a couple of days apart and now am helping my hubby recover for both knees two days apart after not doing hardly any walking for 3 years---did not stand with a walker on his own until 4 months post op, then at 5 months post op walked on the parallel bars at rehab and today walked with his walker about 100 feet--with a PT beside him and one behind him with his wheelchair. I understand completely how hard this is.

Hang in there, sweetie, I promise you it will get better. One day you really will be happy that you did this.

[Bonesmart.org] Jan 22 2103: Tere's left knee
 
3 days and countig down for the surgical procedure on the incision and of couse thMUA anxious is the understatement. TUESA AM. AT LEAST ITS EARLY 5 AM
 
I just want you to know that there are many of us out here supporting you and praying for your recovery. Sending a big hug!
 
Yes indeed... With all of us sending you our thoughts, prayers and hugs you will have the BoneSmart blanket of light wrapped around and comforting you Tuesday morning. You will be invincible! I'll be waiting to hear how you are doing.

Laurie
 
You are in my prayers for sure. I did not have this happen so I don't know what you can expect but I understand the crying. As soon as I was alone in the house I would cry and feel very sorry for myself. By five weeks I didn't feel the need to cry. The meds especially giving myself the Lovenox shots depressed me and once I finished my prescription meds I celebrated with a glass of wine. There are many people here that have had MUA. Look through the threads for their experiences. By summer we will all be walking and well into our recovery. Keep thinking about the future. I'll be thinking of you this coming week.
 
Thank you all so much !!!!!! I just feel so alone in this and you all help because I know you have been here. Will post after Tuesday.
 
Meezermom, I am so sorry you have to go through this. You definitely need those closed up. Once it is done the worry will be over and recovery will continue. Praying for you,especially on Tuesday.
 
One day togo. Looking forward to being back on the journey to recovery again. Hatedbeing side tracked.
 
Sweet Dreams everyone. Up at 4am tomorrow Hospital by 5:30. Can't believe I 'm going under again. THANKS FOR ALL YOU SUPPORT
 
When you read this your recovery will have gotten a kickstart and you will be on your way.
 
Just checking in with you to see how your MUA went? Sending good thoughts your way. I hope they were able to stitch up those two wound holes for you! Take care!
 
THANK YOU THANK YOU EVERYONE. YES INDEED THE BONESMART LIGHT WAS SHINING UPONME. IAM HOME SWEET HOME . PROCEDURE AND MUAA went well. I GUESS ? I AM ALL WRAPPED UP STAPLED AND TOLD TO LEAVE IT THAT WAY FOR 2 WEEKS. HE WAS ABLE TE BEND TO 130. MY KNEE IS SWOLLEN SO I CAN'T. I CAN'T TELL UOU HOW MUCH UOUR SUPPORT HAS MEANT TO ME. LOOKING FORWARD WITH POSITIVE THOUGHTS WISHINH UOU ALL A VER BLESSED EASTER.
 
NOW WHAT ???? My knee doesn't bend or feel any better today after the MUA. its all covered up so I can't see the incision and what they did there. They were going to clean out the two holes and staple them , they then elastic wrapped my knee up and even though I have a call into my OS to make sure, they said keep it covered, No shower until the Dr. sees it. Yikes that will be in over 2 weeks? Maybe I got that part wrong, hope the Dr calls back today. I do know the knee is stiff, aches adn I am back up to 2 Norcos every 4 hours.and I thought I would have this great BEND now?
 
[Bonesmart.org] Jan 22 2103: Tere's left knee Meezermom, you knee was manhandled under anesthesia and forced to its maximum bend. Of course, it's swollen now and will be for at least a week, maybe two. So that means you won't have much bend until you get the swelling down.

You need to elevate and ice most of the time for the next week. Reduce your activity to what was expected the first week after your original surgery. Do only gentle, easy stretches and bend only as far as the knee will allow you to. And take your meds as prescribed on a schedule. Stay ahead of the pain. It is not conducive to healing.

Follow the BoneSmart mantra to the letter and in a couple of weeks you should begin to see a lot of improvement.
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
And I do mean follow it to the letter.

You will have to regroup mentally and start counting your recovery weeks and months from the day of your MUA. You have had a major sink hole in your road to recovery. But you can climb out of it and back on to the road and move on down to the end. But we're talking more TIME and PATIENCE.

Please take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Jan 22 2103: Tere's left knee
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom