TKR JamesN’s recovery

@JamesN,

Not even 2 weeks out, so swelling will continue to be an issue, probably for at least another few weeks or so. Don’t be surprised to see improvements in swelling (and ROM) only to then suffer a set back. You’ll find that as your knee heals, you begin to feel like you can do more (which you should try). At some point, you’re likely to try something or do too much and your knee will react by swelling up and getting tight. Might not look swollen, but it will be on the inside. It might even start feeling warmer than usual for a day or so. Just continue to ice and elevate, make a mental note what you did to cause the reaction and either avoid for a few days or back off some.

At this point in time, you might also begin to have issues sleeping at night. I slept fine the first week or two, then it hit me. I found my knee liked to “talk” at night (that’s being mild, most times it was more like a scream)! I think I slept in my recliner or sofa or spare bedroom from middle of week 2 till at least week 6! I couldn’t get comfortable or is only sleep an hour or so and then have to get up. Didn’t want to bother my wife during all that, so just easier to sleep elsewhere. During weeks 5 and 6 when I was restarting work, I would usually take a Tramodol or some sleep aid to help me get as much as possible. Still usually only got about 4 hours total. Many rough mornings those first few weeks back to work.
 
Hoping you are wrong, NavyGunns, but good to be prepared. It's true, I am feeling much better. I did get a cane, and realized "nope, not ready yet" when I tried it for about 3 steps. It is here when I can migrate to it. Sleeping at the moment is pretty easy, however, I do keep the medication nearby and I'm not afraid to use it when I feel the extreme uncomfortableness come on in the middle of the night. Usually happens about 5-6 hours after my last medication.

PT came on Friday, and not again until Tuesday. He measured me at 60 degrees, but I know I'm much better than that now (probably in the 80 range). Still not comfortable enough to walk on my own - that will come when it comes (and not too soon enough).

It will be interesting as I return to work this week - from home of course. I have already signed out as "busy" for a few hours each day so no one schedules meetings for me (which they will absolutely do if I don't block my calendar).
 
@JamesN,
Good planning!

Remembering that everyone’s recovery is unique to them, it’s okay to compare your current status with others at the same point in time, but don’t get hung up if you find “you are behind”. You know what you are ready for. In my particular case, I went home the day after surgery (Tues) with crutches, no walker. By that Thursday I was getting around the house with just one crutch. By that weekend I was getting around without any aids, but that was only inside the house. You will know when you are ready.

I like your idea of blocking out time on your calendar. I did something similar. I left an Out of Office message in my Outlook letting everyone know I was working from home while recovering from surgery and may be delayed responding to emails and answering the phone. My office phone automatically cascades to my cell if I don’t answer. Just don’t overdo it the first week. Make sure you also keep elevating and icing. My laptop was truly a laptop those first few weeks.
 
Well, three weeks post surgery yesterday. Currently 98 degrees flexion. Walking with a cane, but PT has told me no cane needed within my house (yay!). Still quite a bit of swelling. I didn't really expect the amount of mental strain this would have on me - I can work, but it's clear that I'm in a fog a lot of the time. I'm a bit worried with some upcoming travel that I have in a couple of weeks, but my plan is to focus on me, no driving, and ice & elevation where at all possible.

It's incredibly sad, but someone on my team died unexpectedly last week. It sure helps put things in perspective. For me, it means rethinking how much more I want to work. Yes, it's nice to have my employer's insurance coverage (I'm in the US, so this is a pretty big deal), but do I really want to be working for much longer? Not sure about that.

I am probably about a month or two away from saying "this was a great idea!" Looking forward to that date.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom