TKR Its been worse than childbirth! Did I make the right decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing thing happened.... Yesterday I woke up w/o pain for the first time and less swollen. The day before I had a P/T session where I achieved 116 rom painfully. But what was different was that I was hooked up to this electric stimuli thing that sent electrical impulses to my quads. This was used while I rested and in addition to when I did active leg raises and other exercises. I pushed a button each time I did an exercise.

The other thing different, was that, that night I googled all the anti inflammatory foods. I made myself a soup w. chicken bones, lots of ginger, shitake mushrooms and garlic. and stir fried some chicken w. asparagus and mushroom. Later that night I switched to aspirin from Tylenol.

I don't know which of these things attributed to the new improvements of my knee, but I'm going to continue incorporating anti-inflammatory foods into my diet. Something definitely happened, because the improvement was so noticeable. It feels so good to walk with less of a limp....my hip and back hurts less too. I also eat blueberries and flax seeds/nuts and greek yogurt everyday.

Hopefully this turns things around for my knee!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad your knee is improving! :yes!::yay:

It's only a couple of months since your TKR, so you can expect lots more improvement, too.
 
Hi @kneegone
Between positive thinking and eating food high in helping healing, is a huge help in our healing and ROM. We are early in our recovery and it's hard to remember that it'll take up to a year to heal. I get down when I get stiff and sore. But I get up and move around and it loosens me up. But there are days when I don't feel like doing much. Those are the hard days. That's when I have to push myself.
Dana


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@kneegone
Hang in there. It took me 82 days to do a 2" straight leg raise. I lived through what I called, The Swollows of Pain Hell. It gets better in time. Some.heal quicker than others. Keep us posted on ur progress. Praying u start feling better
soon. It's been 1 yr since my primary
surgery and 92 days since my revision. I
still waddle like a penguin when I walk without my cane. I have to remind
myself to walk properl, but in time it will
be all better. Don't rush or pressure yourself. Listen to your body
 
@mommabarefoot, Thanks for the encouragement. Mornings are the worst! Stiff and sore and I don't sleep well, so I just stay in bed, trying to catch up on sleep. Once I do get up, and rub and massage my knee, I do feel better. I guess I have no choice, but to accept this as the new "normal", bleh! Wow you're so much younger than me, and you already had two surgeries! If I knew this was this painful and long, I think I would have looked harder at other alternatives.... I don't know what, maybe try the artificial lubricant first and p/t.

I need to heal and get mobile again, so I can get a job to support myself. It's bad timing, but husband (I even hate saying that word) wasn't "happy" and left after 32 years, this summer. I really need to move on, in more ways than one! I'm struggling with both!

Anyway, don't mean to be a downer, so I'll just wish you a wonderful holiday.
 
Yesterday and this morning, I was able to walk downstairs like a normal person! It felt so goooood. I still have trouble climbing up. Apparently, according to my P/T my quads are not firing.... we do the elec. stim and working on some of the weight machines. This is my 11th week post op. I still have swellling and pain. My ROM is not too great, 114 unassisted. My scar seems to be hurting these days. I use a scar cream that my Dr. prescribed. My scar does look thick and starting to "keloid".
Anyway, a small victory..... to All, a Very Merry Christmas and happy holidays!
 
Hooray for being able to walk downstairs normally! :yay::happydance:

Don't worry about not being able to do the same for going upstairs yet. It does take more strength. However, given time, it will come. Some people take 4 months or so before they can do stairs normally, so you have plenty of time.
 
I think you're doing just fine! I was about 12 weeks before I could do stairs normally, although I could up before down. I got to the point where I just ignored any ROM measurements. I was stuck at 114-116 for a long time, then all of a sudden the knee loosened up & I got to 123 unassisted. Since I was only expected to get to 125 I was thrilled. I took pain meds till abut 14 weeks - at the end only once or twice a day, but I still needed them. And at 7 months I still have a bit of swelling, soft tissue, not in the joint - a strong inflammatory response is the culprit per my OS so I will still ice when I'm sitting around. I'm thrilled for those who have a rapid and fairly easy recovery (a good friend had her TKR 2 days before me & sped thru her recovery - I still hate her for that!) but that wasn't me. And I was just getting depressed thinking I was so far behind where I should be. I just don't think there's any "normal" when it comes to TKR recovery. So congrats on all you've been able to accomplish.
 
[QUOTE="dtmbf, post: 722912, member: 8565" I just don't think there's any "normal" when it comes to TKR recovery.[/QUOTE]
@dtmbf We should all embroider your quote on a pillow and keep it near us during our recoveries as a reminder!
@kneegone Please have patience. Progress may be slow but it is progress!
 
@kneegone, I do believe stairs are just the beginning of the "small victories" you will begin to see! Hang in there... It's a long road, but worth it in the end!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I do believe stairs are just the beginning of the "small victories" you will begin to see! Hang in there... It's a long road, but worth it in the end!
I can remember when I went down to the basement and then back up the "normal way/" It hit me! I am getting there!

You are, too!
 
Hi Bonesmarties, I am progressing well, at about 13 weeks. My P/T on my current insurance ran out, but I'm wondering if I should continue (pay out of pocket) my ROM on my own is 115 and with P/T pushing, it gets to 120-123 (depending on day and how much pain I can take). I don't know my extension, but it's pretty straight. I still have swelling which doesn't go away and still take pain meds on some days. I wake up stiff and achey. My quads are weak, but I can do stairs sometimes. I cannot totally do leg raises to the same height as my good leg. I'm wondering if I can progress on my own and save some $. or should I continue P/T for another month? Thanks for any advice.
 
Your ROM is good, it really is your call to continue. You also can ask for a home program, then go back in a few weeks for an update, rather than going on a regular basis. Talk to your PT about your options, and ask for a cash discount.
Also ask if they have any post op group exercise classes at the facility.
 
I so get the point about The Knee. It determines everything in life just now. It would be funny if it wasn't so painful.

I am sorry you are having such a bad time @kneegone. This forum is great. It helps that everyone is so caring and that we are all going through this together albeit in different ways. I can't offer any advice since am not doing so well myself.
 
I like the idea of continuing at home but maybe going back for a "check up" with a PT in a few weeks.
 
@kneegone
Your ROM is great! I'm doing mine on my own now. I have to pay out of pocket till I hit deduct able. But you do what you think is best for you.
Dana


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom