TKR Its been worse than childbirth! Did I make the right decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downward Facing Dog (a yoga pose) is your friend in this case. At least, prior to surgery, it was the only way I could get down to the floor or back up. I haven't tried it post-surgery and don't plan to for a while.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Those of you who have tried to get up off the floor are braver than me because I haven't even tried it yet, I lay on the bed but a bench would be a better much-sturdier surface. One of these days, I'll try the floor but not today. I guess we all need to keep laughing because it will keep us from crying!

Roxie
 
@kneegone i had BTKR on May 18 by Dr Mark Figgee at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. @iivesfam5 then transferred to a Long Island Hospital for 10 days of PT and OT. Now a PT comes to my home.

I share your pain. I take Tramsdol and Tylenol before my PT and at bedtime. I have a hard time sleeping too. Someone's I feel "bands" around my knees and yikes that hurts. This morning I cried to my husband and he held my hand and said, "Sweetie but look at the progress you have already made. Stop being hard on yourself as you underwent traumatic surgery." Sure it is easy for others to say that to me but guess what, they are right. I am making progress-not fast but at the speed it has to go.

Talk to your OS and see if he can change your meds or tweak them.

Let's root for each other and others in this forum so that we can achieve safe success! hugs to you. :)
 
I call it the Stink bug. Butt in the air . Did it a lot pre surgery and I am starting to do it now . Occasionally
 
Come on Jana - you can do it!!! Cheering for you!! Just think 39 days from today I am doing both knees and by then think of where you are gonna be!!! YOU GOT THIS!!!!
 
Those of you who have tried to get up off the floor are braver than me because I haven't even tried it yet, I lay on the bed but a bench would be a better much-sturdier surface. One of these days, I'll try the floor but not today. I guess we all need to keep laughing because it will keep us from crying!

Roxie
Of course there is a YouTube video of "how to get off the floor after knee replacement" I followed the video of the Asian man and it worked perfect.....my inspiration was the Cliff Lenderman you tube video of recovery and I was determined to beat his timetable. There are videos for everything it seems but I will not watch the video of the surgery...


Vinny
 
Oh you should watch it! It's really interesting and then you would know why you hurt. I am just sorry I wasn't brave enough to stay awake and watch mine? I could have watched it I think but I didn't want to hear the sawing etc and esp didn't want to hear the surgeon say 'oops!' I wish someone had been able to video it for me..
 
My OS let one patient(his father a retired anesthesiologist) stay awake for the procedure to watch.....he swore he would never do it again as his Dad talked to him all the way and distracted him...I could watch it now knowing I've had a spectacular result but not before....no way..

Vinny
 
Haven't found a surgeon yet that will let me watch, but I confess, I didn't want to watch this one, so I didn't even ask. I didn't watch the video first either--the still pictures were enough. I am considering watching the video now.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Oh I was offered the option to watch on a screen with the anaesthetist but chickened out
 
Hi knee gone! I'm glad you wrote. I 9 months out. I too still experience stiffness. As I write this I am laying in the couch with my legs elevated. I have numb patches on the front of both knees as well as swelling. I think this is par for the course, and I hope it does subside over the next few months. I am active by running flights of stairs in my home daily, chasing my kids and walking dog 2x a day. By the end of the day my knees feel swollen and very stiff. I am seeing a PT again hoping to help with swelling.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Shmi47, my knee still swells with activity and my ROM seems to have stalled. I'm walking, climbing, normally. A little dancing, tennis and all is well. I'm finally feeling like I can do more painless activity vs. b4 surgery, but the swelling is still there. Please let me know what the PT does for you, besides icing, and painful pushing for more ROM! I have to admit, I have not been icing. sleeping with the ice bag, 24/7 for several months really turned me off from icing again...... I know, doesn't make sense. I should start icing again. Ibuprofen and aspirin does seem to take down the inflammation, but I don't want to take pills everyday.... I don't think its good for our liver.
Also, btw, my scar is hideous, dark purple, raised, etc...... I envy those with light pink, lines for scars... lol. I got a 25% off coupon for CVS, so I'm going to buy Mederma and see if it helps. I was prescribed an ointment especially compounded for scar by my OS, and I was using it diligently night and day for 4 months. but it doesn't really help.

Anyway, good luck with everything and keep in touch!
 
@ptmhcm, Hi there, How are you doing now? I'm on long island too and had mine done by Dr David Mayman at HSS! small world. I've heard of your doctor.
 
My first was at HSS too! Different surgeon though.
 
Hi! I'm just entering my 3rd week post op, and boy, do I agree with you! I've had many dark moments of "I made the biggest mistake of my life"!! It's very hard to see through when you're so early in recovery.

I had some complications early on with fluid in my calf that made walking so incredibly painful which is clearing up. Seeing that little progress is enough to keep me going. It's a looooooong recovery period. This forum is a great place to feel not so alone.

Keep us updated!
 
Hi @kneegone good to hear you are doing things again!! Tennis (awesome)!! I think the stiffness is something we are going to be dealing with for awhile. Even tho I exercise everyday and ride my horse, I still get stiff. But onward we go.
Dana
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom