Guest viewing is limited

THR It's All Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the help with the muscle cramps!! Now if someone could answer this for me........I started having groin pain just like preop in the 4th week of recovery. That is so disapointing as the exact pain is why I had this done in the first place. I am hoping it is just part of healing. Ant similar stories would be appreciated. Thanks!
 
I am now 4 weeks today and had similar pain in my groin. It seemed to get worse the farther I walked without using my cane but it seems to be getting better now the farther along I get. I think it all boils down to healing. I'm expecting a full year till I am 100% healed like nothing happened. One more week and I think I'm gonna go back to work.
 
I was having groin pain after the surgery and complained to the OS about it. He gave me a short pack of a steroid drug and the pain was gone the next day. He said I probably still had swelling and that was causing it. After the steroids were gone, the pain came back -- more swelling, I guess. So I started back taking the meloxicam I had been taking before the surgery to reduce inflammation. It is like a miracle. The pain is gone. I'm suggesting it may be swelling and inflammation causing your pain. I may be wrong -- got my medical degree from grade school, but it sure was causing mine. I feel like a human again and am walking with no aids and no limp. And no pain.
 
Im 6 weeks weeks post op now and still can't walk without a walking aid. Groin pain is reasonable and hopefully will get better. I had my 6 week check up with my surgeon and have to go back in a month for another look. Now if I can get a understanding why people are flying around without a walking aid and I am still dependant on them I will be happy.....lol.

This is a awesome forum for all of us going through these surgeries!!
 
Enginerdude I feel your pain. I'm almost 4 weeks out,and I see other people on here that are walking a mile with what seems to be a pain free stride. I'm still in pain. Maybe not as much as before surgery, but it's still there and I'm wondering if it's just me or if this is normal. I don't get it. The groin pain is still there, and I cannot walk un-aided, must use my cane. Frustrated! :hairpulling:
 
I have to keep in mind we all heal at a different pace. I had my 6 week checkup and the surgeon seemed ok with where I am but wants me back in a month for another look.

Jojool it looks like you and I are kinda on the same healing path. Good luck to both of us!!!!
 
Engineerdude, I feel like a broken record, but it's still not clear to me if you are getting adequate pain meds. Yes, at six weeks, many folks are tapering down and off of them....but MANY are not yet able to. You might be a MANY instead of a many. If you are depending on just tylenol, it simply may not be sufficient yet.....especially if you're having groin pain. What happened when you asked your doc about additional and/or different pain meds? Are you taking an effective dosage frequently enough?

Medications: Tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail
Medications: NSAIDs, acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) differences and dangers

Also take a look at these articles, if you haven't already done so. Do they sound like that might be what's happening for you?

Iliopsoas impingement after THR
Iliopsoas syndrome

Sharon
 
Well I thought I would give you guys a update on my condition at 3 months post opp.I am doing really well now and back to hiking about 4 miles 3 times a week. Still have some discomfort from my surgery but that is just healing still. My range of motion and strength are coming back real good and I am not on any kind of walking aid :puppysmooze:. It has been a pretty decent recovery looking back. I came in not knowing what to expect at the start of healing a but as time goes by it all worked out. Thank god for this forum and the people that spend their time helping us.

Ok one little problem :sad:. My other side is hurting really bad. The pain is not the same or the same place as the other side I had done. My pain is in the butt...lol literally . It is about about 4 inches toward the center of by butt form the hip joint. Still have range of motion and when I walk it is pretty good. The pain comes more from sitting and laying down . The pain is a burning pain and heat helps a bit. Any comments would be appreciated and good luck with everyone's recovery!!
 
Could the second hip be going? My second hip went south just a few months after the first one started up. The pain was different, but the reason was the same. You should ask your OS and if that's what it is, go ahead and get it done before it gets too bad.

Sorry I couldn't say no it is nothing, but that's what happened to me.
 
Wonderful to hear about your new hip! Sorry to hear about your other side. :( I agree with Butterfly, you should have it checked out. Unfortunately many of us have issues with both hips. :/
 
Check out this article from our BoneSmart Library and see if this is the pain you are experiencing.

I'm thrilled to hear that your new hip is working out well. We love to hear of successes like yours!!!
 
My pain is in the butt...lol literally . It is about about 4 inches toward the center of by butt form the hip joint. Still have range of motion and when I walk it is pretty good. The pain comes more from sitting and laying down . The pain is a burning pain and heat helps a bit.
I sooo recognise that! Piriformis for sure! So you need pain killers (not otc stuff) and ICE not heat. I had bit ice packs, about 10" x 5" and rotated them in the freezer. I was mostly unable to bend down to put one on the settee so just threw it down and flopped down on it! Best feeling ever, promise! But read the article Jamie posted for you and do the stretches. It takes a while but it will go eventually.
 
Hi

Well I thought I was doing pretty good but things have got worse. I hope I can get some help here.

I had a right total hip replacement Aug. 1st 2013. Things were pretty good except when I would get up from sitting I would limp for a few steps. Now hurts when I sit and when I bring my knee up there is a little catch and I can feel it on the outside of the hip. This catch only happens on raising my knee or bending over . When I bring my leg out to the side or back it does not happen, Again I feel this on the outside when I touch my hip and raise my leg. Also I feel a bit of discomfort in my back above the hip.

The pain when sitting is on the bony part at the bottom of my butt. Except for sitting the over all pain is not really intense yet but definitely something wrong.

Has anyone ever had this problem like this? Thanks.

PS/ This catch as I call it almost seems like a tendon or ligament is catching when I raise my knee or bend over. Also I just wanted to say again when I sit it is really sore right on that bony part in my lower butt.

Gavin
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] It's All Good
@Enginerdude, that you are experiencing difficulties after being so long post op. Let's tag @Josephine to see if she can offer any insight into what may be going on with you.
 
Gavin, I just read the entire thread to get a good picture of your recovery and noticed a couple of things.
1. you visit sporadically so when people ask you questions, you don't reply leading me to presume you missed their post.
2. you've not really ever given us much detail of your medications and activities which makes it difficult to figure out what's going on. There's a lot more I need to know other than "I have this pain that feels like ..."

So first, I merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?
It would be very helpful if you would keep all your posts about your recovery in this thread.

And now secondly, I need to ask you some questions:

1. what are your pain levels? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

2. what pain medications have you been using (if any) how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

4. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)
 
Hi @Josephine

Yes if I didn't reply to someone it was missed. Sorry.

1.The pain level is about a 2-3 max.

2. I have been off pain med for months with no need to use them. my GP just gave me some 50 mg arthrotech yesterday and said to take 3 a day to get the inflammation down.

3. I walk a lot and do easy hikes 3 times a week but my job requires getting in and out of a van or golf cart constantly for 8 hours.( I do security at a resort). I do a lot of sitting and I think this is causing problems? Also up and down a flight of stairs 20 or so times a shift.

4. You will love this but I don't do phsio anymore and haven't for along time. Thought I was over the hump:(

Yesterday when I was sat the GP he felt it hadn't come loose and thought it might be a muscle , tendon or ligament over the implant may be the problem.

So I am taking the arthrotech and icing it lots.

Thanks again Josephine
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Josephine did you see my reply to your questions here. I know you are very busy. Could someone tell me the dosage of the recommended pain medication here? It is Tylenol and something else I believe. Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom