THR It's All Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engineerdude, I hope you are taking all the allowed pain meds as much and as often as allowed. Keeping effectively medicated is the key to getting through the heavy-duty surgical pain of the first few WEEKS. If you would post what you are taking, how often, and the dosage, we could ask Jo to comment on whether you are getting sufficient meds to avoid that increasing pain you're having.

Sharon
 
:yay: Happy Birthday Enginerdude :spin: I am sorry to hear your pain is worse esp on your birthday but that seems to be the way it goes....a few steps forward and a couple back. Are you taking all the pain meds as prescribed? It is too soon to be cutting back.
 
hi engineerdude well happy birthday ;) how are you feeling today ? im glad your giving a honest opinion of pain levels
my surgery is 3/9/13 , and its good to know what to expect so it doesnt come as such a surprise ;) i hope your pain lessens off soon :flwrysmile: :thankyou:
 
Enginerdude happy birthday. It is too bad that you can't go out and kick up your heals. That day will come. Regarding your pain, I was the same way - lots of pain for the first couple of weeks. I don't know what the difference is cuz some people that have posted say they felt great and it was so good to be out of pain right after they came out of surgery. They must have had stronger drugs or I was just a wimp but I was certainly in lots of pain and it lasted for a while. Make sure u take it easy when I overdid it, I paid the price and so that wasn't much fun either. There seems to be a fine line between too much and not enough.
 
Thanks for all the B'Day wishes! I am on Hydromorphone 2mg every 4 hours plus afew extra strength tylonol during he day. Tried to cut back today cause I only ave 60 and no refill but I suffered for it. Feeling better tonight pain wise so that is a positive. Can some of you tell me how long before u could more or less fend for yourself? Thanks.
 
Enginerdude it was a little over a week after getting out of the hospital before I thought that I could manage by myself but I was glad that my daughter was staying with me to make meals and pick things up at the store that I needed or take me out for a drive if I got cabin fever. During the day it was just me and the dog and he wasn't much help but i managed. The thing I found the worst when I started feeling better was not being able to drive for 6 weeks. Make sure you ask your friends to take you out for short trips once in a while cuz it feels so good to eventually get out.
 
[Bonesmart.org] It's All Good
A belated Happy Birthday to you! Give yourself another couple of weeks and you'll be amazed how much you will be able to do. Just do it all carefully!
 
Hi Everyone
Thanks for my birthday wihes....very nice. I haven't wrote on here for a few days but I have to say I am really comig along. This is day ten now and I am really happy with the rsults.
 
Sorry for all the spelling mistakes and I wasn't finished but hit the wrong button somehow...lol

Anyway I am doing well..still stiff and sore with the worst time first thin in he morning. I never have liked sleeping on my back and i like mving around during my sleep so that is a small issue plus I have allowed mu golden retrievr up on the bed since I got home and she is ahuge bed hog.....lol Keep you all posted but I really do see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Gavin
 
I am on Hydromorphone 2mg every 4 hours plus afew extra strength tylonol during he day. Tried to cut back today cause I only ave 60 and no refill but I suffered for it.​

Yikes....at ten days, it's awfully soon to cut back. It's typical to have no refills, but a call to your OS should result in a new RX. A lot of us also use something like tramadol to alternate with the narcotic in the first month or two....you could discuss this with your OS too. It starts getting us off the narcotics, but doesn't leave us dependent on just tylenol. However....it's been clear that different countries seem to handle pain meds very differently...I know what I can count on my surgeon to do; your experience may be very different.

Asking Josephine to comment.

Sharon
 
Dude, did you read the articles I left you links to in post #3 of this thread? I am trusting that you know how to use links, do you? Because the very first article is about good pain management and another is about how long things late to settle down and heal. Yet another is about activity progression after surgery. Do let me know that you've read them all.
Well it has been 5 days now since surgery! Incredibly painful this morning. My leg is really swollen and stiff. I just don't have a lot of range and the pain is not any better it seems from a dew days ago.
You don't expect any better than that for the first couple of weeks.
I am sort of confused about how much Pt at 5 days?I don't want to do nothing but also not over do it .
Actually, you don't really need any. As long as you are taking short (and I mean short) walks to the bathroom and kitchen for essentials, that's perfectly okay. Hips have a way of sorting things out for themselves if allowed to.
I am on Hydromorphone 2mg every 4 hours plus afew extra strength tylonol during he day.
Define "a few", please.
Tried to cut back today cause I only ave 60 and no refill but I suffered for it.
Have you actually asked your doctor for a refill? You shouldn't be expected to get through this without pain meds. If he won't give you hydromorphone, then ask him for codeine phosphate which is all we use in the UK. 30-60mg codeine with 1,000mgs paracetamol (Tylenol) about 4 or 5 times a day.
 
Josephine thanks for your replies! Yes i just went through the links again and gota better understanding of it all. As far as tylenol I have been taking 1 extra strength everytime I take ahydromorphine which is about 5 a day right now. I haven't asked my gp or os for apain med refill yet but I will make aappointment with my gp for early next week. My staples come out Monday and the insission looks really good. Again thanks to everyone on this forum for your help.
 
Getting the staples out are a major milestone.. And do get a top up Rx for your pain meds :)
 
Hi Everyone!

Well I had my staples out yesterday and got afew new exercises from my PT. Feelng really good today,sleeping way better. For me so far it was at first tough and I thought it was going to take forever to get out of the major pain and get mobile. Not true, seems the first 6-8 days was abit up and down with the pain sucking the life out of me. Now yes I am sore and stiff but like I said much much better so if there are people here that are reading this and going in soon to have this done be positive that the major stuff does not last long!!!
 
Thanks for your honesty. I am preparing myself for a few weeks of pain, but hoping that with the correct meds, and following the bonesmart mantra, (rest, ice, elevation and meds!) I will be able to survive it without loosing my mind......tomorrow is my big day.
 
Enginerdude, Are you taking your full pain meds, as prescribed, by the clock? You shouldn't wait for pain to develop before taking the meds. The point is to take the meds BEFORE there is any pain, and keep the pain from emerging. Once you are in pain, it is harder to get it back under control. During the early days, I made sure to take my pain meds through the night. I had the nurses wake me up in the hospital, and then (because I got up quite often during the night to go to the bathroom), I made sure to take it as soon as I was allowed to, per the schedule. As a result, I never had any pain. Hope this is all under control by now.
 
Enginerdude, I would also like to wish you a belated Happy B'Day.

Glad you are feeling a little better, it is surprising how sometimes the recovery seems to happen so fast, while other times it's one step forward...then two steps back. Just take it easy, one day at a time, do not over do it to soon. Rest, ice, elevate, and keep taking your pain meds is the mantra here, it works.
 
Hi

Can anyone tell me if they had quite abit of leg cramping in the operated leg especially during the night. Is there something I can do to lesson this? Maybe drink more water may help? Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom