THR ...it came, it's done, I'm home, hooray!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
..hey, thanks all for your input!!! @dkirk0530, my husband hurt his back too, funny right??? ...anyway, I am 11days post op and yesterday my pt tried me on the cane alone just walking around my kitchen, to hard for me right now, my walker is my friend right now, my therapist says when my body is "ready" for the cane, I'll know it, she also says is less is best when it comes to the healing of the hip surgery. I haven't had a full shower yet either, "sponged" baths, fine by me. I'm getting around okay, still have a lot of swelling and surgical discomfort, but definitely need the walker, how bout you, you using the walker??
 
@ststyle59 how about moving from walker to crutches - or one crutch? I found a crutch much more steady post-op. Never used a walker or a cane. Must admit I had lots of practice as I was on a crutch for 6 months waiting for my THR.

Are you icing and elevating to help with that swelling?
 
oh yes.. still walker too, sort of weak right now and shaky so not sure I'll be letting go of my new friend any time soon. I agree with your PT, easy does it at this point. Too funny about husband.. might be sympathy pain.. haha! He stole my ice pack last night too.. and I was telling him how to rest. ggeezzz! He's been great though. took second shower, like heaven. I have a potty chair that he moves into our shower stall. Fortunate I have a large stall! and it works like a gem. Initially I was told that I would not be able to take a shower for 3 weeks.. after they picked my jar off the floor, the doctor told me later, no reason to wait if I had good access. Take the gauze off and go for it! I am having a big stabbing pain in my thigh that is bugging me, so I need to medicate still too.. weird feeling but I'm sure the nerves are coming back to life now. Ouchy! Stay well.
 
Very early days @dkirk0530 ! Keep those meds going regularly. I remember those "nerves waking up" pains. Meds and icing. You're doing great!
 
Jaycey, don't have a crutch for now.. have a walker and cane. I'm icing on and off as I remember to do so. I'm also taking Lortabs fairly regularly too. The stabbing pain is worrying me.. I'm sure it's not a big deal.. I can still walk.. but if it persists will call doc/PA.
 
Very early days @dkirk0530 ! Keep those meds going regularly. I remember those "nerves waking up" pains. Meds and icing. You're doing great!
Glad you had the same.. It is weird having different experiences each and every day! Get used to one and another kicks in. Yes.. will get better timing meds. That is a constant message here yet when I feel better I tend to back off. then bam... that'll teach me fast not to forget! Thanks Jaycey!
 
..thanks again for your input dkirk0530, my leg feels like it is a 50 lb dead weight, I probably should ice it more than I do, layedN around a lot today, just got up from the recliner and walked around the house for about 5 min or so. My mom just brought me over a shower chair so Friday when the therapist comes she'll show me how to use it. ...the itching I think is from the medication......
 
Have the 50 lb leg feeling as well.. cannot stand it. I think you will really enjoy the shower!.. nice to have your mom around. My mom is having hip replacement in Jan. same day as I have my staples removed! She's scared, I'm scared for her too.. it's a lot of to deal with and being in rehab will be very hard on her as well. Way to go, up and walking helps they say but it's hard!
 
.."everything" is hard now, we'll get stronger and better each and ever day though, I'll keep in touch, Merry Christmas to you and yours!?!
 
...thanks jaycey and Chrissy.....your input is appreciated.......
 
Congratulations @ststyle59 on becoming an official hippie, just catching up after a few days off..

But first the BoneSmart mantra

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock

- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone, especially a physiotherapist to do it to you

- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again

- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it

- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

And then the very important hip recovery articles.....

I'm also going to leave you with some reading out of the Library that specifically deals with hip recovery. However, browse through the library index, there are lots of informative articles to read.

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Also, The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.

Once again welcome to recovery :)

Cheers
 
..I am just about 14 days post op, still need the walker, have tightness in the upper thigh and get very sore after therapy, anyone care to comment....and I only use my pain medicine before bed time, just anxious I guess.....
 
It sounds like you are doing okay! I don't know if I will give up walker by next week. Scary to think of that right now. I have same pulling around incision too and I have not started PT yet. Not sure when to start that next phase but holidays not the best time to do so. Will prob start next week after new year. Trick will be to find right location to assist. OS wanted me to drive to therapy and am not there yet I'm doing the therapy I was given at hospital. My husband is wearing under pressure of having it all on him. Haha! Somewhat amazed but then again I'm always doing and now that I'm not, things are setting him off! Dishes i left most recently.. I think he thought they were the kids. I wish I could just run away! I miss the hospital!! And that to me that is kinda sad! Bad day! Sorry to vent but just getting to me today!

Hang in there! We will get there . Have you showered? That helps me a lot!
 
and I only use my pain medicine before bed time
Why? At only 14 days out of surgery it is much too soon to be cutting back on medication. Especially if you are doing regular PT. Get back on those pain meds around the clock and get the pain under control. You need the pain managed to help you increase your mobility.
 
Hi there...you sound like you are both doing well for only being 11 and 14 days post op.....the stiffness and tight feelings really do wear off. But taking the pain medication regularly is still so important and I found icing was really my best friend ....I stayed on two crutches for 4 weeks, felt I needed them and then gradually onto one. Trouble is I found the emotional part quite difficult and the wondering if all the different pains were OK too...each day presented with something new. I didn't start PT until week 8...just did walking for about 30 minutes each day plus the hospital exercises.....resting is a vital part of the revovery....I felt like I should be up and at them....big mistake...just got stiffer and tighter. I'm now 11 weeks post THR and tightness almost gone unless I overdo it....almost back to normal......it really is a roller coaster but so worth it. Hope both your recoveries go from strength to strength....cheers Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny, thank you for your input in addressing my concerns, you are soooooooooooo right with the "emotional part," I guess I am overly anxious in how "I am supposed to feel;"
there is nothing I can compare "anything that I am feeling" with......ya know? ...guess, I'll have to medicate myself more, though, well, I am just going to take things slow and know that my body will get better and stronger each and every day. ....again, thank you Chrissie for your "tidbits" of info, sounds like you are well on your way to a speedy recovery....good for you!!!
 
ststyle, by using your pain meds just at night, you end up getting poor pain relief...your dosage is trying to counteract a higher level of pain. If you space them out consistently throughout the day, your dose only has to tamp down a much lower level, and so it works far more effectively. I'm not sure what you're anxious about, but it sounds like you are making this much harder than it needs to be.

Sharon
 
Thanks for the suggestion about meds! Physicians never really tell you that. I have been taking them as needed but will take every four hours for at least the next two weeks. Need to ice more too.
 
I experienced all those things you guys are talking about -- weird pains coming an going, guilt about not doing anything, emotional ups and downs, wondering why it was taking me so long to feel better, etc, etc., etc. It DOES get better. And if it takes you a bit longer on the walker, so what??? My OS insisted I use the walker for 6 weeks after my second hip (I cheated a little bit, but not much). So I was on the walker for more than 10 weeks after the first surgery (and quite a while before it). I really hated that walker, by the way.

I am still using the cane most of the time. I know that I need to do that so I learn to walk without the limp. My OS insists on it anyway, until I have my next appointment with him on Jan 21. OS is a take-it-easy kind of guy who does not want his patients to "get crazy and hurt themselves and then have to start over." When I was whining at him about not being able to drive and wanting to be released to drive so I didn't have to mooch rides all the time, he said, "well, what's worse -- mooching rides or spending a couple more hours with me in the OR?" Kinda put it in perspective. I worked too hard to get to the surgery and don't want anything (including my own impatience) to screw it up. I keep repeating that to myself when I get impatient and want to get crazy.

Please don't put unreasonable goals on yourselves, or compare yourselves with others. Or compare yourselves to some ideal about how you think you should be doing. We are all different and heal up differently, but it is WAY worth it as we get to feeling better.

Peace and love to you.
 
Very well put @Butterfly :)

I was on a walker for 18 months pre op (out of the 8 years pre op procrastinating) and stayed on it for 10 weeks post. Kinda got used to the four wheeled seat, prop, whatever.... So much so, I use it as a seat to sit at the big island kitchen bench to scoot from one end to the other, I rest the laundry basket on it instead of carrying it, hang things over it to dry in winter..... don't want it to feel unloved :rotfl::bow:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom