THR It’s done!

Hi @Sabine
Are you able to do a Phased Return To Work?
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/phased-return-to-work.5696/
You might find yourself pretty wiped out by the time you get home.
Hopefully you can rest each night back home for several more weeks until your energy has improved and you're further along in your recovery.
Wishing you all the best!
 
So I negotiated a gradual return to work with half days the first week and then up to 6h per day for the second week. I also have the option to work from home a couple of days a week and that will help as well :)

As for the cane - i took it to the physio to see why this was just not working well and she adjusted the length a bit and it feels much better.
 
Oh good ...for getting hours reduced.
I bet the cane adjustment will help as well.
Hope your weekend is Sweet, @Sabine !
You will get there!:tada:
 
Hope you had some time off...and a Merry Christmas @Sabine
Happy 9 month and 2 month hipversarys:candle:
 
Happy Wednesday, Sabine.
Wondering how you're doing and how the Phased Return to Work is going for you?
Happy Two Month Anniversary! I hope you had a nice Christmas.
@Sabine
 
Good morning and Merry Christmas to all.
Thanks so much for checking in, I have been thinking about posting an update.

Yes it has been 2 month already and only depending on how I'm looking at this.

Return to work is going good, the biggest challenge is to remember to not sit for too long and to make use of my stand station to get up every hour or so for a bit. Once I start working time sometimes gets away from me and then getting up after 3h of sitting isn't fun.

At this point my flexibility is doing great (cut my own toenails 10 days ago :happydance:)

I am still walking with the cane and even though I can get around the house without, I'm limping badly without having that extra support so I try not to do it much, it just feels wobbly?
Strengthening muscles and doing my exercises is showing very slow progress and sometimes I feel I should be further along. It doesn't help that for the life of me I can't remember how long this took when I had my other hip done.
 
Haha I went back to my posts from 8 years ago and I posted about the same question about limping and the cane at 9 weeks, thanks god that stuff on the interweb lives forever :)
So I guess all is normal and I'm on the same track as I was for my first surgery. Now that makes me feel much better.
 
Thanks for the update. I'm happy you were able to do the Phased Return.
Yay for pedicures! Such a great feeling, I still remember.

Check out the Activity Progression for THR and see if you feel in sync with it at all.
Please remember it's a rough gauge, not a test of where you must be. We all heal and progress
at a different pace.

A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
Remember also that no two recoveries are alike, not even with the same person. So while you're interested in your progress from last time, it wouldn't necessarily follow the same path again.
I hope you have a great rest of the week!
@Sabine
 
So glad to read your post. I had my left THR on 10/22/18 an feeling down that still need cane. Can wobble around the house but there is a bit a pain when do that. With cane for the most part no pains now. It nice to hear someone with similar experience.
I had to go back to work after 6 weeks at full time. For me I feel would have been much better at 8 weeks. But that's in the past now.
Here's to a great 2019!!
 
@gld2pan looks like our journey is about at the same point and some more patience is required. When I looked back at my posts from 8 years ago I have to say being older and supposedly wiser apparently doesn't bring patience :heehee:
we will have to wobble about for a bit longer and look for the small improvements every day
Keep me posted
 
Greetings! I went back to work 6 weeks after my first THR, and plan on going back 6 weeks after this latest one. My job isn't too physical, I tend to stand a lot - it's more mental and attention (and performance, I'm a high school English teacher) than anything else. I used a crutch at first, then moved to a can, then used nothing when I could. It will be better this time to go unassisted as both hips are solid (although sometimes wobbly).
I'll use a cane in crowds, as it gives a bit more space and protection. Bring it with you, you may opt not to use it, and eventually, you won't feel the need for it or the security it provides.
Be ready to come home exhausted. I have an almost 1 hour commute; would buy a nice coffee for the journey and hit the road. Once home; elevate and ice like crazy. I think you'll be happy to be back to work; let us know how you fare.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope your recovery continues to go well.
Leave us an update next time you stop by. We'd love to read of your progress.
Wishing you all the best in 2019!
@Sabine
 
Thanks for checking in @Layla all is going well over here, but a bit slow for my taste :) I now walk without a cane most of the time but there is still a bit of a limp especially when I'm not paying attention or get tired.
I'm happy with my recovery overall, just have to stay on top of 'mindful walking' so that no bad habits continue
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and the limp has lessened, or resolved.
Looks like you're coming up on nine years, next month, with your right hip. Awesome!
Wishing you all the best moving forward. I hope you have a nice week. :)
@Sabine
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom