THR It’s done!

When I realized that my left leg didn’t really need any assistance I switched from crutches to cane. Same principle, the crutch is just going to give a little more support if you feel unsteady with the cane.
 
I have my butt back :heehee:
The staples came out today, so exited
Any ideas and recommendations to make sure things heal well and nicely?
 
Sooo the last 2 days since my Stiches have come out I feel quite a bit of pain when I’m walking. It seems to come from the bone and isn’t something that I had the first 10 days
Is this because I’m now walking more (about 2000 steps a day) with one crutch and should I take it easy for longer or up my pain meds and continue to be walking more?
 
@Sabine did you suddenly increase your walking or ease into that length of walk? It's always best to walk half the distance you think you can walk. Then if you have no issues, add just a bit of distance the next day. Ice and elevate after your walks. Take your meds if you need them. Still early days for you.
 
Yes I was gradually increasing but I changed from walker / 2 crutches to one only and I wonder if that added to much weight. I will take it easy for a couple of days
This afternoon is my first physio appointment as well so I have to make sure that this is an easy one
 
Hi @Sabine
Wondering how you were doing and hoping your Sunday is relaxing and Sweet!:loveshwr:
 
Thanks @Mojo333
All is well over here at the moment, pain is gone and so are the pain meds, 2 days without anything at all now. I have been walking for 3 days on one crutch only and that is also going without complications. (Other than every time I put the crutch somewhere it takes off on me :unsure: )

The scar is itching me crazy and still quite bumpy and red in places but that will all settle down for sure with time.

I got the OK to drive from the surgeon when the stitches came out, so yesterday I made a very short trip to the grocery store, only spent about 15 min in there but it makes me feel human again that I can do things for myself.

Now the boredom is setting in big time and I'm having to find things to do that are not strenuous on my leg but keep me busy. Like cleaning out my closet - something I hate to do :happydance:
 
All temporary...and you sound to be doing So Well:tada:
To early to be getting bored...Ladybug.
Won't be long and your life will be your own again.
Hope you have a great week!:egypdance:
 
Last edited:
Sounds like you're doing really well.
No pain, down to only one crutch and forgetting it, driving the car and running short errands.
I'd say awesome for only eighteen days post op.
Wishing you a wonderful week as you continue healing!
@Sabine
 
Hey all I either need a pep talk or a really check.
So things of been going really well as you can see from one of my last posts but in the last couple of days really not much has changed. I don’t feel I can be in more weight on my leg and I don’t think my mobility is improving the way I’d like it to be.
Am I just being spoiled and this is a normal progress or am I missing something?
 
Hi there :wave:
Reality Check - it's only been a month. Not even.
Pep Talk - since you were feeling so well last time you posted, forgetting your crutch, driving, grocery shopping, boredom. Do you think you may have been too ambitious, too soon, because you are doing so well? You're not going to feel progress every day. Mojo posts this great little visual on a lavender Post It I believe she got from her OS. I just went through 40 pages of her thread in rapid fire and can't find it. I'll tag her @Mojo333 to post it for you, just didn't want to make you wait if I could find it myself. I think it will help put it into perspective for you. It sounds to me like you're doing well, progressing normally.
You just need a dose of patience. You'll get there.
I hope you have a peaceful day and a great rest of the week!
@Sabine
 
[Bonesmart.org] It’s done!

(Actually came from BoneSmart!)
My favorite recovery chart!
I'm sorry you are anxious on how things are progressing...But you are Really Not Behind.
Some days when I had pushed things a bit, I found myself back to where I was.
It doesn't seem to hurt until we stop.

More but Shorter periods of activity with lots of icing helped me.
This is prime time for cabin fever and the post op blues.
You will get there, friend.
Temporary ...lots of healing still going on so as Layla mentioned, patience will be key!
:sigh: not exactly the fun part but we'll worth it in the long run.
Hope today is a good day!:SUNsmile:
 
Thank you Thank you
I kind of know it but . . .
This is why you and this forum are such a fantastic resource to keep my head on right and things moving normal.

I will go ahead and enjoy the last two weeks before I have to go back to work and take things in stride and see where I get to. I was hoping to be walking unassisted by that time but we will have to see.

:thankyou:
 
but in the last couple of days really not much has changed.
A heck of a lot has changed. It's just not a dramatic as you saw in the early days. I called this period the "one month slump". Seems like everything is moving in slow motion.

Worry not! The difference between week 4 and week 6 out of surgery is pretty amazing. Just keep doing what you are doing.
 
Question about elbow crutch vs cane. Is there a difference and does it matter that you switch to a cane?
 
I think I just answered my question - the cane is segnificantly less stable but I think it’s my time to switch at least for a good portion of the day or if I’m not going to far
 
does it matter that you switch to a cane
Not really - it's all about how confident you feel using a cane. And if you start limping go back to the crutch. You don't want to get back into the habit of limping.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're having a nice weekend.
Let us know how the cane is working for you next time you stop by.
A great week to you as you continue healing.
@Sabine
 
Thanks, can’t believe it has been already / only 4 weeks
As for the cane I find it much more tiring than walking with the elbow crutch, it seems to require more Ballance and more weight on the leg.
I have been switing back and forth, making sure to extend my cane time a little every day without getting to the point where I’m starting to look like a questionmark when I walk

I’m supposed to go back to work next Monday but I have to say I’m not sure how I feel about that.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom