Guest viewing is limited

Hip Arthroscopy Is there life after THR & Arthroscopy? You Betcha!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meggzie You should be focusing on you right now -- we will all be here when you are done! Getting ready for another procedure is something that takes lots of mental and physical energy, so do what ya gotta do.
I'm a MP fan too, and I think watching MP clips during recovery would be a splendid thing to do :egypdance:

I saw the PA and she said I most likely have iliopsoas tendonitis and with ice and rest it hopefully will be better by my next scheduled visit with my OS on the 27th. Icing the groin is neither fun nor easy :groan: but I'm doing the best I can.

Keep us all posted as best you can :kittykiss:
 
horsecrazy, great that you have an answer for your pain....I hear you about icing the groin...neither fun nor easy, but if we liked easy, we wouldn't ride, right? ;) You will do just fine!

Just about to get in a cab and head into hospital. I have to admit that I'm a bit apprehensive, not about the procedure, but more about the early days of recovery. The general consensus from medical staff is that in the beginning, arthroscope recovery can be a bit more painful than THR :eek:, but that overall it will be faster.

My plan is to be completely OCD about meds, rest, ice and elevation....and it will be what it will be!:D

See you all on the other side.!
 
Meggzie Yes, please do as I say (now) and not as I did :thud: That is, do not overdo the PT and take plenty of meds! Just keep your eyes on the prize---we are still in a race to see who can ride first :wink: :wink:
 
Meggzie I've thought about you often today and hope to hear good news as soon as you are able to type!
 
Hi horsecrazy thankyou for looking out for me It all went well, OS was happy and I'm heading home in a couple hours. The meds are doing their magic, and I only have the phone here in hospital, I'll submit a full report once I get to my computer at home....watch this space :D
 
Ah!!!! Home sweet home. One of my very good friends is an ambulance officer (paramedic)- she drove me home and made sure I was all settled in - I was in very good hands.

My very short hospital stay was excellent, all of the medical and nursing staff were fantastic, friendly and really on the ball! :thumb:

The OS was pleased with how the surgery went. He did find a little OA, but it was in the areas which were removed from the acetabulum and the femoral neck - its all gone now. He couldn't rule out OA deeper into the back of the joint where the camera cant reach - but there was nothing evident on scans, and at the very least my ROM will be vastly improved:) He did say that I couldn't ride for another 12 weeks though - so horsecrazy I think you'll be winning the race :doh:I had hoped to be able to get on sooner - but there's no point rushing back, especially if it would jeopardise my recovery.

I have been given some most excellent meds, which I will be taking by the clock, and as I type this, I am laid back in the recliner with an icepack doing it's work. My little cocktail is:

Targin 20/10 - 1 tablet twice daily (20mg oxycodone hydrochloride/ 10mg naloxone hydrochloride dihydrate per tablet)
Endone - 1 to 2 tablets every 4 hours as necessary for breakthru pain (5mg oxycodone hydrochloride per tablet)
Celebrex 200mg - once daily
Paracetamol(Tylenol) 650mg - 2 tablets three times a day if required

When I first came out of surgery I was very sore, more so that after the THR. Needless to say I wasn't thrilled!! :tantrum: Also, for an hour or so, it didnt matter how many heated blankets they put on me in the recovery room, I felt deathly cold and was shivering violently! Fortunately, it didn't take long to get it all under control, and I was feeling good in short order. I was able to get to the bathroom on my own using a walker only a hour or so after returning to the ward from recovery, and it was very nice to be rid of the glamorous hospital gown and get into my own PJ's. Even though I was very comfortable, I didnt sleep well at all - that might have been because I had to go to the bathroom every hour - like clockwork. That's what you get for staying hydrated, I guess:whistle:


The OS has ordered that I may use the leg freely - no restrictions and bear weight as tolerated - but I must use crutches until I can walk without a limp. I have some very gentle PT exercises to do at home, which I most certainly wont do if they hurt (like the straight leg raise the PT at the hospital said I should do - she didn't look happy when I told here that those weren't going to happen just yet, and I couldn't have cared less!! :heehee:) For now I have two weeks off work, and a review regarding return to work on 5 Sep. My plan now is rest, ice, meds, rest, ice, meds, rest, rest rest.........

As nice as the hospital was, I am very happy to be home and I think the cats are happy to have me here too, judging by the number of :kittykiss: that have been coming my way!

I can feel a little snooze coming on...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 
[Bonesmart.org] Is there life after THR & Arthroscopy? You Betcha!!
Meggzie. Pleased that your arthroscopy when so well. Keep following that rest, ice, meds mantra and you'll be in great shape in no time.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
This morning I'm feeling pretty good, although I do feel a bit like my horse has kicked me in the quad! What's great about that is the pain I'm feeling is superficial, and I'm really only aware of it if I touch it, or one of the cats steps on it :kittykiss: :shocked: . It's nice not to be feeling that deeper, harder pain in the joint. It's nearly 7am here, so I guess I should get my butt outta bed, have some brekky and get the meds and gentle exercises started for the day.
 
Did I say superficial? What was I thinking? I think the local anaesthetic that was used in the hip has worn off now and I'm experiencing post op arthroscope pain in all its glory. Thank goodness for endone and ice! :) I have slept and dozed for most of the day, hope I can sleep tonight!

My exercises today consisted of about 10 heel slides and lying on my stomach to stretch the hip flexors for about 2 minutes, all while I was still in bed, so I don't think I can blame it on doing too much :shrug: I was warned that it can be pretty painful early on, guess they were right :groan: I hope the advice that it improves quickly is right too :yes:
 
Meggzie, don't forget to add in the paracetamol while you're getting through the early stage. And you said you could take 1-2 endone every four hours, so be sure to take 2, and don't stretch the four hour envelope. Right now it's all about getting ahead of the pain. You WILL get past this, really.

Sharon
 
Meggzie WOW, sounds like you made it through with flying colors, as would be expected of an event rider :yay:
I'm glad you are home and now really really on your way to full recovery. Once the twelve weeks are up you are good for years and years of riding!

Thanks for asking about my recovery (I'll respond here instead of the other area, which I think is ok). I feel like I've turned a corner today, my pain is less and I can walk semi-ok without the cane. So I'm cautiously optimistic that in a few weeks I may be good to go?? Now, of course, I think my horse may need some joint therapy (not injections yet, but adequan or something of the like). I knew he was getting stiffer and stiffer so the vet did flexion tests and confirmed that he may need a bit of help now (he just turned 10).
Given all my joint pain I am very empathetic to his stiffness :sorry: Plus he needs his teeth done, so $$ here we go :shocked:

Keep on resting, pill popping, icing, PTing, and let us all know how you are!
 
Hi sharonslp I'm definitely taking the paracetamol too. Oh and lets not forget the meds to counteract the meds...coloxyl with senna to combat enemy number 2, and Nexium for the horrible reflux everything else gives me. So far, everything seems to be doing its job beautifully!

Actually, if I'm 100% honest, I didnt take any endone overnight. I had my Targin 20/10 at 8pm, went to bed at 9pm, and slept like a baby til 6am :yay: Best of all, I didnt wake up sore!! Oh, dont get me wrong, I still know I had a procedure, but all things considered, I'm feeling pretty good.

I've been up since 7, had breakfast, Targin, Paracetamol, Celebrex, Coloxyl with senna and Nexium...what a lovely little cocktail!! Right now, I'm back in the recliner just takin' it easy and feeling good. I'll think about some PT later...maybe :wink: and my endone is booked in for 10am.

horsecrazy it's fantastic to hear that you're doing better! :happydance:Keep on looking after yourself, though, dont go overdoing it again! I cant recommend some form of joint therapy for the pony highly enough! My boy is nearly 18 now, and still going great. He has a Pentosan shot IM once a month and it has kept him ticking over beautifully. I know that a lot of eventers here in Oz use Pentosan or some other form of joint therapy right from the start, even with their young horses. The thinking is that it can help to slow down the onset of joint disease in later years. Wish someone had done the same for us a few years ago!! :snork:

Anyway, that Targin is really starting to do its magic and the fog is setting in...I'm off to snooze :zzz: Have a great day all!!
 
Meggzie, it is so much fun reading posts when people are in medication happy land! Glad you are in such a good place mentally and physically! Thanks for the horse talk :flwrysmile: Sweet dreams and looking forward to another recovery day for both of us tomorrow!
 
What a difference a day makes. I woke up this morning after another solid night's sleep, and again I wasn't overly sore. I decided to give the slow release oxycodone a miss and went with 2 x panadine forte instead (500 mg paracetamol + 30 mg codeine phosphate). I topped up with a single 5 mg oxycodone around mid morning and I've been feeling really good - and not all stoned from the opiates! Of course the down side is that I haven't slept the day away...and I'm bored! I've made a concerted effort to keep resting - I'm fighting the temptation to get up and DO something as hard as I can. My big old cat is doing his bit by sitting on me and pinning me to the couch :kittykiss:
 
Hi again! I had another good night - I woke every now and again, but no pain and straight back to sleep. Yesterday's reduction in pain meds experiment was successful, so I'll repeat that today.

Yesterday, I did manage to find a non-active boredom buster, but please, I beg you, don't tell anyone!! :beg: As you know I am an event rider, and eventers are a pretty gung ho kinda bunch! We barely tolerate the very refined dressage phase as a necessary evil, somewhat enjoy the show jumping and we LIVE for the adrenaline rush of riding cross country. We are an adventuresome lot, and we tend to take the mickey out of people who enjoy sedentary pursuits. If my friends found out that I spent yesterday afternoon and evening CROCHETING I would be excommunicated from the sport!!! :rotfl: Please tell me my secret is safe with you guys??? Please???????:rofsign:

I found some old yarn and a pattern that has been hanging around for something like 12 years since I quit smoking, and thought,"Why not". It was easier than I remember, but tricky enough that it kept me concentrating and sitting down, rather than getting up to do SOMETHING (clean windows, wash floors, vacuum....ANYTHING!!), because I was soooooo bored!

Some of my friends are having show-jumping lessons tomorrow and they've offered to bust me out of here and take me out to watch. I think it will be great! The weather has improved a lot in the last couple of days and it will be lovely to sit outside and watch my friends have their lessons. The big bonus from watching is that it's like a free lesson for me too - there is so much that one can learn from other's mistakes:wink:

Hope you all are having a lovely day/evening!
 
Meggzie it sounds like you're doing great! Going out and watching some friends practice will make you feel better too....just being around the horses boosts my spirits.
 
Meggzie I'll bet now that you can't ride, doing even "boring dressage" sounds blissful :heehee: Yes, going out to watch a friend's lesson is wonderful--and is EXACTLY what I am going to do this afternoon! So we are "watching buddies". I started Earnie on Pentosan and we will see how it goes?! My trainer/friend who is riding him while I'm down and out is going to take him to a recognized show Sept 20-21st, just doing First 1 and 2, so that will be great fun for me to watch (I rented a golf cart so I don't overdo the walking around). A big group from our barn is going, so 6 of us women are staying in a rented house---party time. :egypdance: There will be 6 horses from our barn competing :yes!:
I wish you could get a head-cam and wear one during one of your rides and share with the group. A daughter of one of my friends who events does this and I get so nervous I can barely stand to watch the recording--and it isn't even me or a child of mine :yikes:
Keep going with your successful recovery approach!
 
Meggzie, you are HILARIOUS! :rotfl: Glad you're recovering with a sense of humor. It's one of the few things that helps me cope with this roller coaster ride. :yay:

I know NOTHING about THR, I'm on the knee side of this forum. With the way I love to throw my hips around when dancing, let's hope I continue to be clueless about hip pain. :egypdance: I already had a toe operated on a couple of times. I can almost sing "head and shoulders, knees and toes" children's song with feeling! :heehee:

I just had to cross over and wish you well. :flwrysmile:
Hoping you will be back in the saddle soon... see what I did there.:loll:
 
I'll bet now that you can't ride, doing even "boring dressage" sounds blissfu

Oh yes, you are SO right! Sitting in my saddle on a stand is pretty exciting too!! :snork:

It's great to have a group of friends to go out competing with - it adds a whole new dimension of fun :yes: I didn't ride as a kid and only started taking dressage lessons in my late 30s, and did my first ever one day event in my early 40s. I am never going to be world class, so the fun and social aspect of the sport is just as important for me as the riding. I met two other ladies at a cross country clinic in April last year. It was my first jumping lesson on my new horse, it was the same for another lady (although she had ridden at 2star level in the past - and had only had her mad off the track thoroughbred for 5 days!!) and the third lady was a bit timid. We met, instantly clicked and we have been training and competing together ever since. We call our little group "Bubbles Inc" - bet you cant guess what we like to drink when the competition is over???:wink: Hmmm, no champagne smilies either!! Hope you and your friends have an absolute blast at your show next month!

I hope that Earnie feels the love from the Pentosan too. I know Johnnie really benefits from it.

I wish you could get a head-cam and wear one during one of your rides and share with the group.

Funny you should say that...I have a pair of sunglasses with a camera in them - and film most of my rides! I'll post a link here, but first a warning. I am an enthusiastic rider, and think that the sun shines out of my horse, and I don't mind telling him - (or growling when he has a silly shy at a rock!). Best if you turn the volume down a bit!! :)

This event was my last event at Intro level (jumping 80cm - we did one event at 95cm before I had to hang up my boots after this one). I had forgotten to turn on my watch, and figured we were a bit slow by the time we got to the brush fence at (I think) fence 7. So we really went for it after that and ended up with time penalties, cos we were 30 seconds too FAST!! It's a good thing that jumping is Johnnie's forte (and mine) because after dressage we were in 19th (!!!) 14th after showjumping and 9th overall. Maybe now that my hips can move, I'll ride better dressage and we can start to be really competitive. Anyhoo...enjoy the ride!



Bionic woman2 thanks for dropping by to say hi! The more the merrier!

Hoping you will be back in the saddle soon... see what I did there.
Now, who's hilarious???:rotfl:

You're clueless about hips, I'm clueless about knees, so that makes us a good pair!! And lets work on keeping it that way!!:yes: But don't stop dancing, girl! Move those hips!!:egypdance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom