Hip Arthroscopy Is there life after THR & Arthroscopy? You Betcha!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh dear, although we are still spring chickens, it looks like we need to resign ourselves to granny type activities....but just for a short while!! :giggle:

Yeah, just a "short" while. :heehee: I did sneak out last weekend and do something fun and normal and paid for it dearly.:headbang: So it's back to solitaire and Netflix of me. I have 2 weeks till I get the other knee done, I definitely need to help the new one along, so it will become the good one. :bow:
 
Bionic woman2 Yeah, our bodies are pretty darn good at letting us know when we've overstepped the mark, aren't they? Not long now til you are properly bionic - and after that, they'll both be good ones!!:yay:
 
Yes! :yes!: Until then I've discovered that I have another super power. I have dirt-vision, and I'm the only one in my house that can spot it. :loll: I and I alone can see dust, and things that fall on the floor in my house. My kids have selective-vision.:hairpulling: Like if there's a cupcake or some money by chance on the floor, then their super powers kick in. :skep: Otherwise, they clean down while I clean up. What a team! Being thankful for the small things. :umm:

Hope you're having a good day. :flwrysmile:
 
I have dirt-vision,
:rotfl:

I'm almost embarrassed to say that I dont - good thing I'm not too fussy about the housework - but then, any mess here is just mine - cant blame anyone else!

Being thankful for the small things.
I quite agree! A couple weeks out from my RTHR I was thrilled just to be able to sleep on my left side - right leg supported by a pillow. Then along came the left hip arthroscopy. I thought, no worries, I'll just sleep on my right side....wrong!!!! The area around the incision still has healing to do and gets tender quite quickly if I lie on it. So, for the last couple weeks its been back to sleeping on my back. This morning I woke up lying VERY comfortably on my left side..wooohoooo!!! :happydance: Its such a small thing - but it has made me very happy!!!
 
Yay! for the side sleep victory. :yay: I'm barely able to pull it off now, it will be out of the question after I get the other knee done. :mcoffee: So, I better work my pillow magic and make it happen for the next 2 weeks. :beg:

Oh, and about my super power. It's a blessing and a curse, because I SEE it. I didn't say I do anything about it. :rotfl: I'll put on an apron in a minute to cook a gourmet meal, but don't expect me to put on a French maid uniform and run around with a duster, unless I'm role-playing. :wink: Wishful thinking. :loll:
 
Bahahahaha! Now there's a picture! Lol
 
Happy to report that the knee/IT band pain is starting to really back off. I went in to see the PT on Wednesday and she gave it some massage and ultrasound, then applied a band of tape down the outside of the knee. She said it would feel like it wasn't even there, but that it would help. I cant feel it, and it seems to have helped - psychological tape or functional tape??? Who cares - I feel better!!:yes!:

Hi horsecrazy hope things are going along great for you. The weather has been sensational here, the days have been sunny, Johnnie has been loving having his rugs off - and as the days get longer, that winter coat is flying everywhere! Spring is just around the corner!! :flwrysmile:
 
hi Meggzie, I'm in a 2ish month holding pattern to see if my groin pain resolves. So far it does seem slightly improved, but I still have to take meds to walk without pain. I do plan to ride again (just walk at first) in Oct and I'll see how that goes? Earnie is going great with my trainer riding him--doing extended trot and counter-canter like a little pro :dancy: We took him to a little schooling show this past weekend and he rocked!

Your weather comments are so funny, as we are heading straight into fall:SUNsmile:

Hope you continue to do great! One of my eventing friends wants to see your XC video (to see something from down-under) :) so I hope you are o.k. if I let her look!

Best, Bev
 
Bev, horsecrazy I hope you keep on improving and you can get on the very clever Earnie in Oct. Sounds like your trainer is establishing some fun buttons to push when you're ready! :)
No problem if you'd like to show your friend the vid - hope she doesnt laugh too hard ;)

Tally ho! Jena
 
The one thing that's been keeping me awake at night has been the nagging worry that being on a horse will still hurt. I worried that all of this surgery has been for nothing. Even though I've been sitting in a saddle on a stand for ages, a stand is nowhere near as wide as a real horse...

On the weekend I went to a cross country clinic with my friends. After one of my friends had finished riding, I asked her if she would mind if I sat (just sitting..on a horse standing still) on her horse. Her 'pony' is way bigger and wider than mine, so I thought it could be a good test.

She agreed, we built a makeshift mounting block, and with much trepidation I got on...first test, normal mounting action...all good, no pain. Next test...sit down and let legs relax around the sides of the horse...it was this that had me in agony before surgery....I sat, relaxed, and burst into floods of tears! I've never been happier..there was NO PAIN!

Immediate celebration was required! Now I'm happy to patiently wait til I'm allowed to ride properly...confident that I'll be able to ride pain free and (hopefully) better than before! ;)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Is there life after THR & Arthroscopy? You Betcha!!
    uploadfromtaptalk1379620278154.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 212
Meggzie reading that literally made my eyes water.............I am SO SO happy for you!!!! I have no words other than THANK GOODNESS!

We are off for our big girls showing weekend and then guess what, next week I plan on getting on and riding (walk and posting trot only)..............I'll give ya a full report, of the show, and then of MY riding asap.

Best!!!!!!!! Bev
 
Hey, horsecrazy I just need to let you know that's not my 'riding' photo - that's a 'sitting' photo!! We didnt go anywhere and I sat up there just long enough for a coupla sips of champers and the photo!! It wouldnt do to completely break ALL of the surgeon's rules!! :angel: Mind you, I think I maybe could have, but I didnt want to risk it! Even so, the sheer relief was just overwhelming! I just sobbed into the pony's neck - and my friends werent sure if I was in agony and needed to be helped off - or if it was all ok. Once they realised it was all ok, I think we all had a little cry! This really makes the wait for a proper ride much easier to bear - and that said, I think you will still post the first "ride" photo!!:yes:

I cant wait to hear about your show adventures! I'm sure Earnie will be a superstar and that you girls will have a ball! And when it comes time to ride, make sure you have a photographer on the ground - but tell them to let you wipe the tears away before they start taking happy snaps for you to post here!!
 
Great photo Meg, fantastic smile from ear to ear Aussie girl :)
 
@Meggzie I just fininshed reading you recovery thread and everything you have been through and glad to hear your recovery is coming along. When I read the thread about getting onto your friends horse and how happy it made you feel, also put tears in my eyes.

I think we all have things that we love to do and really hope to be able to do them after our THR's.

I have a love of bike riding and that was the only thing I wanted to be able to do after my LTKR. I did have to have my bike modified so I could peddle, I didn't get all the ROM back after my TKR. I went on several rides this summer and the last ride I did was on July 4th, it was 22 miles long! That was a great accomplishment for me, I was extremely sore in my hip and that was the last time I rode my bike this summer.

My goal is to be able to ride again and I plan on next spring and summer to be my year to do all the things I wasn't able to do before my LTKR and my RTHR.
 
Oh Meggzie that just made me cry! I KNOW how emotional that must have been, to sit on a horse for the first time since surgery!!! I can't wait!

I just called my farrier and made a date to put shoes back on my horse. He's been barefoot for about 9 months, because it was a waste of money to shoe a horse that wasn't being ridden. My farrier was even excited to hear that I'm doing so well. I don't know exactly when I'll be climbing on my horse yet, but with his shoes on, he'll be ready when I am.

So happy for you!!! :happydance:
 
Hi Jojool how exciting that you're making plans to hop on soon-ish too! I think there are a few of us who'll be having first ride parties pretty close together! Awesome! :happydance:


I know what you mean about the farrier - my boy has been barefoot since April too. When he had his last pedicure :wink: a couple of weeks ago, I told the farrier that it would be shoes next time for us too.

sunsetbiking - it's so great that you got back to biking after you TKR - and also great that you have goals for yor THR recovery too. Sometimes I think that having the goal to get back to doing whatever our passion is makes it easier to ride the bumps in the recovery road and not fall off (our bike/horse/whatever! :))
 
Wow, I think I turned a major corner yesterday. I was out at a cross country training day with my friends (sounds familiar, right? :wink: - yep, I'm obsessed).

Anyway, up til yesterday, I was still walking with a bit of a hitch in my stride - the best word I can use to describe my walk was 'hesitant'. As I walked around the course, watching one friend riding a brand new horse, I noticed that suddenly I was moving with more purpose, a longer stride and NO LIMP!! Woooohoooooo! What a huge moment, good thing I was wearing sunglasses and a hat, easier to wipe the happy tears away with noone noticing!! I just loved that quiet moment of triumph!:spin:

I start exercise rehab today too - aiming at getting me back to active fitness!! Water running and other exercises, hopefully including swimming begin! In the next few weeks a gentle version of spin classes will be added in and also pilates - I'm looking forward to 'real' exercise that's gonna get my heart rate up and make me sweat!

I'm a lucky girl to be doing so well..particularly at just a tick over 4 months out from RTHR, and I am AMAZED at how good the left is feeling only 5 weeks out from arthroscopy. Life is good, and now I cant wait to see the OS on 23 Oct - hopefully he will give me the go ahead to start riding again too! Happy days!
 
Meggzie,

The trip with my friends to the show was fun fun, but also a bit crazy. Earnie was a total nut job! :hairpulling: He tired, 4 times during one test, to buck my friend Christine off!
You can watch at the below link if you want:



So, I've got some work to do once I get back in the saddle with him. I plan to ride again in the next week or two, so I'll hope to have a nice pic (and one where he is NOT bucking :shocked: ) to show you soon!?

Best,
Bev

best,
Bev
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom