Hi everyone
Super tired but I know many of you would like an update so here goes.
Finally got into theatre at 6.30 pm. They took me to theatre at 5pm but I had to wait for the previous procedure to finish in a theatre holding bay. The anaesthetist visited me and decided to do a general anaesthetic as it allowed me to be under longer if the procedure took extra time. She gave me some premed which was fantastic and relaxed me
The OS visited me and we had a good chat prior to the surgery......I felt really confident that my new hip would be good too. He laughed when I asked if he had done this before.....but I thought I should ask. He he he. Everyone in theatre remembered me which was nice.....it is my 3rd time I suppose
When I woke up I was in severe pain.....with my THR I felt nothing really after the spinal....this time......very very painful. I felt like I was thrashing around in pain but they assured me today I wasn't. Dr spoke to me but I don't remember much except they finally got the pain under control with Ketamine. I kept say 'crazy eye Ketamine!' As it makes cats eyes go very weird lol. It was past 10.30 pm at night and I started to panic about my husband who was waiting in my room and had been for 5 1/2 hrs and whereabouts the kids were staying. The nurse finally calmed me down and said I had to be calm for the meds to work. She was lovely and sat with me the whole time while I talked crazy ...no doubt
I was then taken to The intensive care unit (ICU) where 1 of the nurses said it was too late for my husband to visit. I just said well he has to or I won't be able to settle and i wanted to know about my kids. After minutes going back and forth she finally let him in. He told me today he was having a similar disagreement but telling them I wouldn't rest until seeing him!!!!!! We know each other so well.
Anyway, my main nurse was a girl I knew from my previous stay who restored my faith after the day I'd had. Nothing was too much trouble. I Wasn't hungry but wanted a cup of tea. No problem!!!! She got me all sorted and I finally slept for a bit. It's quite noisy in ICU and i had to have a blood transfusion so was woken. I was also extremely hot and my incision was leaking heaps so 2 nurses bathed me, rubbed cream in my back and I got a new gown etc. they said I rolled well....it hurt but I held myself on my sort of side with the bars on the bed. I asked the cranky nurse if after they washed me etc if i could get another cup of tea....she said that was low on the list of priorities. well not for my angel who Got me another cup of tea and then i drifted off again till 5.30 am.
I had bloods taken overnight from the arterial line they placed. At 5.30am I had to get another IV inserted as I needed 1 for various antibiotics, other stuff and fluids and 1 for something else that clashed with 1 of the ABX. So I had a total of 3 IV's. I got breakthrough pain despite the heavy Meds and when that happened I got Endone.....a morphine derivative. It is much more painful than my THR and not having the spinal probably adds to that?????
Dr Came in the morning and said it was a very messy hip with lots of soft tissue damage that he cut away. I asked him before I went in to surgery if he could take a picture of the infection and he apologised and said because of the fluid it just looked like blood and gunk so he didn't but at least he took me seriously!!!!! He is Very glad it came out, as with just antibiotics it wouldn't have cured he said. I asked him this because the Prof asked me last week if I thought the hip it was bad enough to warrant the surgery. This really threw me because who wants their hip out? And how would I ever decide? but when I told the OS he was nodding ....yes it was. So that makes me feel better as its a very hard call to ask me, in my opinion especially as the surgeon says I have a high pain threshold to put up with the pain from an infection. I've been told this before too.
Anyway, He said I'll probably need another blood transfusion tomorrow as my ???? Is low and was to start with. I Spent the day In ICI but back to ward tonight. The wound is Draining heaps which he expected and he left spaces in the stitching for that to happen. they re-covered the dressings through the night as they weren't sure what the OS wanted done but he said it could be redressed today. As it took all day for a bed to open up in the surgical ward they redressed it at about 5 pm. They wanted not to change it in ICU due to infection risk but ended up having to. In ICU they swabbed me twice for MRSA. They do it to everyone everyday to limit the risk to everyone. The rolling over and wound is very painful but it's the start of it all being over!!!


It is the weirdest feeling having the spacer in. When I tried to sit up a little it sort of clicked and the leg felt unattached to the hip ...sort of. When the PT came she explained that that is quite normal but it is cemented in and he has created a type of ball joint so I can bend. I now have an X-ray of it.....looks pretty good!!!! She said I can eventually toe touch bear and when at home I can sit on a stool to get a cuppa or make lunch. She said occupational therapists can do a home visit to help set things up. I forgot to ask about the stairs....I can't get into the house without going up a- slanty pathway and 9 stairs or through the garage about 18 stairs.
Today I sat in a chair for lunch....right next to the bed but still so great to be out of bed as I felt so sweaty. I think it's going to a slow road but at least the first step towards curing the infection is done!!!!!! Onwards and upwards. When I have a good new infection free hip I'm going to climb the Sydney harbour bridge with my daughter and try tennis and golf.
I have tried to do a detailed entry for the curious and for those who might face this in the future ......hopefully not!!!!!!..... but I know I craved information...sorry if its too much for some of you to read.
That's it from me for a while. Thanks for all ur support and well wishes. It means so, so much to me and I'll get round to more of you when I can.....I promise!!!!!! After I get some sleep!!!!!
Take care, Bonesmarties
Xxxxx