Guest viewing is limited

THR Incision Still Weeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Mrs.Missed So sorry you are having issues with your incision. My Doctor told me to wrap my incision with Saran Wrap. So my husband wrapped from the stomach area down to thighs. He wrapped me 5 times total for each shower. Saran Wrap does work. Just make sure that the wrap is tight
 
The saran wrap thing is weird. It'd be one thing if you were wrapping a knee or something, but you're going to have to do your whole pelvis for it to actually cover your wound and stay put! Couldn't they give you some tegaderm dressings or something? That's what I had. I used them after I took my aquacel bandage off.

[Bonesmart.org] Incision Still Weeping?
 
@Josephine lol "eat your frilly nurses cap!" Well I can say that the drainage has slowed significantly since I have not taken it for nearly two days now. Some small blood spots but less than yesterday. The redness however is still there though it has not crossed the line that the physio drew yesterday. Will see the surgeon tomorrow morning.
 
On another note, I just about jumped out of my skin when one of my littles accidentally brushed his hand accross my pants over my incision. :S
 
The redness however is still there though it has not crossed the line that the physio drew yesterday.
The inflammatory response (which is what you are referring to) will take a few months to dissipate. In my sister's case, it was 3 months.
I just about jumped out of my skin when one of my littles accidentally brushed his hand across my pants over my incision
Yes, forgot the mention that's one of the less likeable side effects - my sister is now 5½ years and her wound is still moderately sensitive like that.
You can just cover the wound and tape the edges with the very thin plastic adhesive tape
I never had to stick the edges down - there was just enough stick to keep it there all night! But mine was a knee - it might be a bit different with a hip.
 
I'd been thinking saran wrap was some sort of surgical dressing, not just cling film! :heehee:

Glad the problem seems to be getting better, Mrs. Missed.
 
@Mrs.Missed my incision is still weeping too & im taking Xarelti to. Surgery was March 11. I go back to OS tomorrow. Not too worried because I've seen no signs of infection.
Hang in there!
SweetPea69
 
Okay UPDATE time, I went in to see the surgeon on Wednesday, he and his nurse looked at my incision and declared it infection free. Red yes but likely the irritation from the bandages and I will say it's been soooo itchy!!!! They took out 43 of my staple and left 5 behind for another week because those spots needed more time to close. I also have steri-strip closures all the way down as well now. The discharge is still happening since I stopped with the blood thinner but way thicker now. This is super gross (at least to me lol) but he said it was actually fat seeping through from the incision. The blood spots also there. Keeping a very close eye on it all. Bonus is that they gave me the go ahead to shower daily instead of every other day and NO saran wrap! Yay!!
Still on the walker at home and the few times I have been out, I have used the crutches. I am finding the walker is causing pain in my hands though.
Sleep has been awful still, the tossing and turning all night. Some nights I go to bed and it takes me the betterpart of 2 hours to fall asleep.
Other than all that, i am getting mobility back slowly but surely, working on my exercises and finding them a little easier each time. Also I am only taking pain killers once or twice in the day and before bed instead of 2 tramidols every four hours as I had been doing before. My Physio did stress though, that if I needed it, I should take it because being in pain and unable to move much will only impede my recovery.
 
The discharge is still happening since I stopped with the blood thinner but way thicker now. This is super gross (at least to me lol) but he said it was actually fat seeping through from the incision.
Not exactly fat, more like protein which has much the same consistency.
That's how come I know it's the Xeralto!
 
@Josephine No discharge at all for 3 days now! Had the rest of my staples out today, and no longer need the big bandage! Yay!
The itching though, for days now! Soooooooo bad!!!!!! It's maddening! Icing helps while it's on but then the itch begins again!
 
Yes, same as my sister again! Sorry to say this but hers still itches 5 years later!
 
When will it be safe to lay on my incision side?
 
Are you a redhead by any chance? The recent research is that many redheads need larger doses of medication to be fully sedated then other people, some gene many redheads carry. I'm a redhead and was awake for all my RTKR back in 2005. I was drowsy but not asleep and it was kind of fascinating. But was very glad they gave me the right dose for my total hip this time. The lovely thing about sweat pants for recovery is that they are soft enough to sleep in. 24 hour wear without it looking like you stayed in your pi's all day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom