THR Incision Still Weeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I retain a full collection of active wear which are loose fit and drawstring in the waist for the bottoms. My savior at home was a overstuffed body pillow that I kept close by.
Never understood doctors that wanted me to move around after it felt like a train had just ran me over. Several hours after the surgery they had me up and walking around the room and within 24 hours they released me from the hospital only to have to endure the longest drive home two states away.
Take advantage of the room service at home as soon as they know you can get by on your own it comes to a stop. If your located in the states ask your doctor for a temporary handicap parking decal. Those shorter walks in and out of stores while your still recovering is a life saver and you won't hurt nearly as much.
Good sleep is something that is often overlooked but much needed. You may find yourself awake at odd hours which I have never been able to shake. I usually sleep during the day and off/ on through the night. People usually say that I am consistently inconsistent but whatever works for me is a OK.
Anyway get to feeling better
 
@dnch4437 sleep has been awful. Up most if the night sore and restless. Can't sleep on my back and that seems to be the only options. I can't believe they had you out so fast, how awful to be in a car right away too.
 
Anyone else? I thought it would stop by now. Staples to be out on Monday. Went to the doc and she said it looked fine and did a swab to test for infection anyways but didn't know why the weeping (no blood just fluid).
 
@Mrs.Missed, I merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?

It is so much easier to be able to help you and give you the advice you need when we are able to easily see when your surgery was, what other issues you may have had, and what has been going on in your recovery just by looking at one thread instead of bouncing back and forth between two or more other threads.

We also have help articles here, you know! In here How To Use This Forum (it's in the "Help & Info" tab across the top of the page).
The article you want is this one How can I find my threads and posts?
 
What kind of blood thinner are you on? Is it Rivaroxaban/Xarelto?
Because that has a history of making the skin and tissues around the wound weep.
 
Hello,
I am on day 12 now and my incision is still weeping. Today when I changed it there was even a spot of bright red blood. I saw a walk in doc last night and she didn't say much about it other than it appeared to be healing well but took a swab of it just in case to send to the lab. I'm supposed to have my staples out on Monday but if it's still doing this I dunno. Is anyone else having this happen?
 
@Mrs.Missed ... I have once again merged your latest thread with your original recovery thread. As Jo explained a few posts up, you need to post your updates and questions here in this thread rather than start new ones. If you want a different thread title that reflects your latest concern, just post what you want and we'll change it for you. But it is critical for all your updates, questions and concerns to be here in this one recovery thread. Otherwise it is next to impossible for us to go back and look at your recovery history when making responses.

It is normal to have drainage for several weeks, so please don't get concerned at this point. Your doctor did the prudent thing by taking a swab for a test, but I'm very confident from what you describe that things will be just fine. Just discuss your concerns when you go in to have the staples removed.
 
Ack! so sorry @Jamie I somehow missed that you had merged my other thread about this and couldn't figure out where my post had gone so I made another.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So now you know - don't! :no-fin:

And because you started a new thread, you obviously missed my last post which asked what kind of blood thinner are you on? Is it Rivaroxaban/Xarelto?
 
@Josephine I'm on xarelto 10mg. Just took my last one tonight. It was only temporary for after surgery. Still weeping lots tonight. Clear but wet. I see physio in the morning.
 
Good luck with the removal of your staples today! How are you feeling? Nights are tough. I have never been a good sleeper anyway, and the 'unsettled' feeling is annoying! At 5 weeks, I am sleeping on my side (anterior though, don't know if that matters), BUT I don't think that I would be able to do it without my memory foam topper (4 inches). At 4 weeks, I was experimenting but the process of rolling over was difficult. It is improving. Have a great week!
 
I'm on xarelto 10mg
Thought as much. It does makes wounds weep like a flood! My sister had it when she had her hip done and the doctors then were quite mystified, fearing a wound infection. So she was kept in hospital almost two weeks, having dressing changes several times a day. But she had another problem that, being diabetic and one or two other issues, she was, and still is, on a considerable number of tablets three times a day. So then they added to that the Rivaroxaban (Xeralto) and pain killers and antibiotics plus metronidazole, and the end result was that when she started taking practically half a cup of tablets, she would vomit them all back!

It got worse as the days went by but they discharged her into my care anyway and since I suspected that her problem with the vomiting was the metronidazole, the first thing I did was to stop all her medication for 48hrs and then gradually add them back in again. By the end of the first day, her wound was bone dry but on the fourth day, when I started the Rivaroxaban again, her wound - or rather the skin around it - immediately started weeping again. So I contacted the ward sister and she agreed that the doctors had also come to the conclusion that this was a side effect of the anticoagulant so she was to stop taking it and just take aspirin instead.

So I think your problem should magically disappear within the next 24-48hrs.
 
@Toddlermom Yes! It's the 'unsettled feeling" can't get comfortable. Takes me up to two hours to finally fall asleep.
 
@Josephine Oh I hope so!! Getting worried. Yesterday the at the pyhsio they did not remove my staples and were concerned with the amount of drainage, that it had a slight yellow tinge, some light bloody spotting and that one end of my incision appeared red. She drew a line around the red and asked that I keep an eye on it to see if it got any bigger and I am headed to see the surgeon in the morning to discuss the staples and have it looked over. The incision has become more sensitive and stings more than it did a week ago. Also they want me to keep it dry during the once every two days shower with saran wrap??? WTH?? lol that should be interesting.
 
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with the fear that you must be encountering due to the seepage! I will pray that it's been due to the medication that Josephine mentioned. Did you already see your surgeon or is it today that you see him/her?

Another member has also been instructed to wrap Saran Wrap around the incision while showering, so this appears to be a common showering restriction.
 
the amount of drainage, that it had a slight yellow tinge, some light bloody spotting and that one end of my incision appeared red The incision has become more sensitive and stings more
Yep, sis had all of that - now I am SURE it's the anticoagulant.
Also they want me to keep it dry during the once every two days shower with saran wrap???
LOL! They'll be lucky! And keeping it dry will make no difference whatsoever.

You know what, @Mrs.Missed? You should just stop taking that drug of your own volition and see if it doesn't dry up. If it doesn't, I'll eat my frilly nurse's cap!

[Bonesmart.org] Incision Still Weeping?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom