TKR Im losing my confidence

I'm glad you're feeling enough better that don't need much in the way of pain meds--though I can't imagine a 1/2 or 1/4 of a NOrco doing much...
 
Hello all

I am 10 weeks post op and starting to feel human again, but I still have some swelling. I have tried icing for periods of up to an hour and for 20 minutes as my PT recommends citing a study that states the benefits of icing reverse after 20 minutes. I can't find anything in the literature on this site stating why 45-60 minutes is necessary and that 20 minutes is useless.

Also, I am wondering if any one uses moist heat and arnica on their knee to reduce swelling. I saw an acupuncturist today and that was the recommendation. He said until the tissue was healed, the swelling would continue and prevent my knee from bending and straightening properly. He said the heat would increase blood flow and sped up recovery of the tissues. He suggested only very light exercise. I am learning to balance exercise with daily activities and that will continue to be the challenge as many of you know. But I was curious about the use of heat. Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks, Rene
 
Traditional Chinese medicine believes you should only use ice at the time of trauma and then use warmth to help nurture the damage and increase blood flow. I can't imagine MOIST heat being recommended tho? The Chinese way is to avoid any damp conditions.

It's true that icing will reduce swelling but your acupuncturist will be doing that for you too.
I "listen" to what my knee needs. I do still ice every day. But sometimes using heat pads and a hot water bottle has been the best relief for me, particularly for calf and quad tension.
Dry heat tho. I have never used arnica but I know some swear by it to help reduce bruising.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My first pt used heat to "warm" up my knee and ice afterward. While it felt good, I wasn't sure it was a good thing. My second pt group never used heat, but had me bike to warm up.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My OS has me icing twice a day and using dry heat twice a day for swelling and pain. He said some people respond to heat and some to ice better as their recovery goes along. The heat really feels good to me.
 
It is a confusing topic. While you need good blood flow to heal the incision you need ice to decrease the swelling. I guess the answer is to do what seems to work for you. I know I just used ice almost constantly in the beginning.
 
Hi I know how you felt. I had a pacemaker put in 3 years ago and was so constipated I thought I was gonna die. I tried everything that was suggested in the above thread but nothing worked. The only thing that works is drinking magnesium citrate. It comes in 3 flavors but I find that the cherry and grape works the best. It is very sweet so my suggestion is to drink it down really fast and follow with 8 ounces of water. This works really fast. This was my lifesaver and all I use now. It only costs 1.27 a bottle. You must drink the whole thing. Let me know how it works for you
 
By 10 weeks post op I was taking hot (very warm) baths, and still do occasionally. The warmth feels good and doesn't seem to cause problems.
 
@sleepilu - the moistness comes from the arnica as it heats up. Not from the type of heat applied. I misspoke there. I think I will continue to ice when I have been extra active such as after the gym or PT. I'm going to the gym where I will do dome gentle exercises involving the knee but primarily going to do some arm and core work.

I have a small flannel bag I filled with rice that I heat in the microwave and use it like a hot water bag. I love it. Before the surgery I was always hot and even had a fan blowing on me at night, even tho I'm post menopausal. Now, I seem to be cold much of the time and like to have rice bag on me while I watch tv at night. It's like the surgery reset my internal/personal thermostat.

Ok, off to the gym. Have a great day folks!
 
Rene, that is funny you mentioned about having your personal thermostat reset! That is exactly my experience also. My menohell was hot, hot, hot. Now, I freeze all the time like I did before menopause.
 
My first pt used heat to "warm" up my knee and ice afterward. While it felt good, I wasn't sure it was a god thing. My second pt group never used heat, but had me bike to warm up.
My PT sometimes used heat and the bike to warm me up then ice after the session. I dunno... I love the heat and the ice, they both soothed El Jefe. I also had execellent results with cling film (saran wrap) at night, which creates moist heat. It relieved night pain and improved flexibility upon waking. My recovery is pretty far along and I don't have much need but I still keep it on my nightstand. I also still ice my knee some nights when the day has been a bit much. But I was careful not to use heat and ice close together.
 
I think there have been various theories on ice and heat. To some extent it depends on who's read what.
At your stage of recovery I wasn't icing as much as early on--I didn't need it as much. Let your knee be your guide. I did use mild heat on the muscles at times.
 
I was so bad after surgery that I ended up taking a Ducolax every day, warm prune juice, enemas and some fizzy stuff in a bottle that my husband found one desperate night at the drugstore. It took me a very long time to get back on track and I was anxious to get off the pain meds so that I could get back on track.
 
@sleepilu - the moistness comes from the arnica as it heats up. Not from the type of heat applied. I misspoke there. I think I will continue to ice when I have been extra active such as after the gym or PT. I'm going to the gym where I will do dome gentle exercises involving the knee but primarily going to do some arm and core work.

I have a small flannel bag I filled with rice that I heat in the microwave and use it like a hot water bag. I love it. Before the surgery I was always hot and even had a fan blowing on me at night, even tho I'm post menopausal. Now, I seem to be cold much of the time and like to have rice bag on me while I watch tv at night. It's like the surgery reset my internal/personal thermostat.

Ok, off to the gym. Have a great day folks!
Funny you mention the thermostat thing. I feel so sensitive to cold right now. It's weird. I don't know if it's the pain medication or just the stress of having pain..sometimes icing seems like adding insult to injury. I was told I could put warmth on my shin area but not on knee. Still just cold there.
I would give anything to take a hot bath. I am not sure I could get out of it yet.

I gave the saran.wrap a go last night and it helped. I have both knees wrapped tonight as I think I overdid it today.

T.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
Rene, that is funny you mentioned about having your personal thermostat reset! That is exactly my experience also. My menohell was hot, hot, hot. Now, I freeze all the time like I did before menopause.
What the heck? I'm so happy to hear this is a shared experience!

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
Thanks for info.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
Percocet and tylenol wasn't cutting it for me. I went back to advil and percocet. For some reason tylenol has never done anything for me. Wish it did.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
@Celle - thanks for asking, I think I am doing much better. I'm 9 weeks out ( feels more like 9 months), and I have a clearer idea of what I need to be doing and not doing. Two years ago I was the primary caretaker for my sister for 7 weeks after she had bilateral TKR. I thought I knew what to expect. But really it's one thing to watch someone do heel slides or try to pedal a bike and then do it yourself. And she had both hers done at the same time!

I noticed @theresav had one knee, then the other, done two months apart. I need my left one done but I'm really scared to do it. This has been more brutal, physically and emotionally, than I ever thought.

@theresav - for what it's worth, I agree with the others on the pain meds, too soon. I went from Percocet to Norco, which seemed a little better at about 4 weeks because I didn't like how I felt on the Percocet. I'm 9 weeks out now and I take between 1 and 2 10mg Norco per 24 hour period. I break them in half or in fourths. I also take Tylenol during the day but by about 4PM, my knee is hurting so that's when I take the Norco.

I shave around my scar, getting closer but it still freaks me out so I have some long hairs. Who cars, it's winter. I also have numbness not just around the scar, but down by the right inside ankle and up about 4 inches on the inside of my leg. It feels really weird to shave there. It's like shaving someone else's leg.

Went to a little dinner party tonight and wore real shoes and clothes, not my tennis shoes and work out clothes. Woo-Hoo!!

Happy New Year everyone!
Hi. I know I'm cutting back soon but after 2 surgeries.. it's just so long on these meds. I'm dealing with some pain but luckily I am not back to work ft till February so I can take it easy.

Shaving is so weird.. I dream to take long baths again. Will try a bit of gym next week...possibly the pool and walking in the water.

10 weeks was a good amount of time between the sugeries. I can't imagine doing them both at once. My first knee feels pretty darn good now, nearly 16 weeks later. Worst pain for me now is my shin on right. I will try some more heat tomorrow in that area and ice on knee which still needs to calm down.

This experience is easier knowing many of my friends here are posting similar experiences. Thanks to all for sharing your stories..good and bad.


left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
That's funny (the temperature thing). For the first 2-3 weeks I was having crazy hot flashes. Like "stick my head in the freezer" flashes.. And it's a little early for me for the big change!

A good friend of mine had a BTK in August, and was having the chill issues. One of her Docs said that during surgery and recovery, your body produces extra cortisol to cope. Once the immediate trauma is over and production goes back to normal, your body goes through withdrawal. Hence the issues with body temp. Interesting theory, no idea if it's an actual thing or not.

Seems like it's settled down a bit lately.. But I am not tolerating the ice as well- skin is very sensitive these days. Imagine nerves are regenerating and firing up.


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Last we spoke I was heading to the gym. Felt sure I was doing just the right amount of exercise. I've been applying the arnica and heat to the knee as suggested by the accupressurist. Last Friday, my physical therapist wasn't so sure about using the heat but he said to give it a try. He then proceeded to do a very intense massage on my knee to try to move the fluid out. Wow, kind of painful folks. He told me I was doing too much and to stop all exercise for a week. He said it was inflamed. Ok, well, that's the first time, and I'm sure the last time, I will ever hear those words, haha! No one has ever told me I exercise too much! Anyway, I have continued to do the heat thing and have done no exercise since. The knee still feels just as swollen. It's not grossly swollen but I know it is keeping me from straightening and bending my leg. Here's a before and after wher you can see how much straighter my leg is but also you can see that my right leg is swollen from the knee down. [Bonesmart.org] Im losing my confidence [Bonesmart.org] Im losing my confidence
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom