TKR Im losing my confidence

I agree, Naomi, this recovery teaches us a lot about ourselves, both hood and bad. As a swimmer I'll tell you to be careful which stroke you swim at this point in your recovery, no whip kicks for a few months. Many TKRs find water therapy helpful, perhaps your pt would have information on that for you. I went back to lap swimming at 7 months, but could have gone back earlier. I loved water walking too.
 
I am also having trouble getting my extension to zero- not surprisingly, as there was a flexion contracture (slight bend) for at least a year leading up to surgery. I get the most discomfort in back, especially the biceps femoris tendon. Swmrgirl noted in her thread that her extension improved as her quad strength increased. I had a similar experience after my LTKR. I am now strengthening, so... fingers x'd!

Cody; a velcro dog with big spaniel eyes. What's not to love?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@KarriB - what is water therapy? I've seen it mentioned several times but not sure what it is. Is it safe or beneficial to go into a whirlpool?

Thanks @Clipless and @New England Librarian - I am also trying to concentrate on my quad. I'm going back to my personal trainer today to do strength training on the other parts of my body.

Off I go, Rene
 
I started swimming last week, which feels great, but I find it to be a big energy drain. Everyone is different, so you may not have the same experience. My health club offers hydrotherapy sessions, but they require a prescription from the OS. I figure whatever kind of exercise I can get to rebuild strength and stamina is a step in the right direction, as long as I don't overdo it.
 
I didn't have water therapy because of my infection we took no chances. I believe doing some of the same exercises in the gym but in water as well as things specifically for water. My pt group had a small pool for hydrotherapy.
In the summer I swim 18-20 laps a day and weave water walking in too.
 
So great to know we share the same feelings and emotions on this journey. Last night in the middle of the night I was in so much pain 4.5 weeks out.. I just was wishing for someone I could talk to about it. My main pain on this knee is the lower cut above the shin. It's been a real tough journey. . Trying to cut back on pain meds so I feel it more. The meds just make me feel so out of it. Hot. Cold. Dizzy. Loopy. Tired. No appetite. Sensitive. Constipated. Can't wait till advil will handle it.
On another note. Is anyone else freaked out about shaving your legs near scar etc? I'm avoiding it. Do I need electric one or will this pass?

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
I hate hairy legs, so shaved very carefully and avoided the incision as much as possible. I also still have quite a bit of numbness and "believe" I've shaved everywhere but will find loooong hairs that I've missed for quite a while in the numb area. Just have to laugh it off! :heehee:
Have you asked your OS about moving to Tramadol? A lot of TKRs find its a useful step down med.
 
Trying to cut back on pain meds so I feel it more. The meds just make me feel so out of it. Hot. Cold. Dizzy. Loopy. Tired. No appetite. Sensitive. Constipated. Can't wait till advil will handle it.
@theresav
It sounds as if you're cutting back your pain meds a bit too soon. I know the side effects aren't nice, but you do still need effective pain control.

Advil is an anti-inflammatory medication and it isn't really very good for post-op pain control. It also has some dangerous side effects. Instead of cutting back to Advil, would you consider using Tylenol? It works very well if you use it in the correct, effective dose - that's 1,000 mg (1G) six-hourly, to a total of 4,000 mg (4G) daily. Make sure there is no Tylenol (Acetaminophen) in any of th other drugs you're taking. If there is, factor that into calculation of your daily total.
 
@theresav
It sounds as if you're cutting back your pain meds a bit too soon. I know the side effects aren't nice, but you do still need effective pain control.

Advil is an anti-inflammatory medication and it isn't really very good for post-op pain control. It also has some dangerous side effects. Instead of cutting back to Advil, would you consider using Tylenol? It works very well if you use it in the correct, effective dose - that's 1,000 mg (1G) six-hourly, to a total of 4,000 mg (4G) daily. Make sure there is no Tylenol (Acetaminophen) in any of th other drugs you're taking. If there is, factor that into calculation of your daily total.
I'll try that. I think my percocet does have tylenol.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
Yes Percocet does contain Tylenol. The amount depends on the strength of the Percocet.
 
My percocet always had 2 numbers, like 325-5 or 500-5. I thought the 1st number represented the acetaminophen.

I loved water therapy. I got so strong minus the stress of land workouts and being in the water was nice. The doctor and therapists didn't recommend it for recovering El Jefe.
 
Percocet 10 mg has Tylenol 325 mg in each tablet.

Now, everyone, this is Naomi60 's thread and I think we've all derailed it for long enough, so please can we get back to her recovery?

How are you getting on, @Naomi60 ?
 
Percocet 10 mg has Tylenol 325 mg in each tablet.

Now, everyone, this is Naomi60 's thread and I think we've all derailed it for long enough, so please can we get back to her recovery?

How are you getting on, @Naomi60 ?
Thanks for info.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
My understanding is that when you go beyond full extension---you then go into hyper-extension, which is in the "+" numbers.

My right leg, due to an absence of a ACL for a long time, naturally can hyper-extend, so the PT's always put a "+" in my chart for my right knee. The ATC at the school at which I taught uses "+".

Note--I see that Josephine uses "-" numbers for a hyper-extension. This is interesting.
Interesting. The PT at the hospital told me my knee was at a -4 so it was hyper-extended. It made sense to me, because I equated your ROM to a graph, and your negative numbers are always below and to the right of the zero.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had an over-extension in my right knee due to being ACL-deficient for so long. The joint capsule was just loose, so my PT had me work on the mechanics of just working on not going too far. I concentrated on keeping my leg from going past the point of hyper-extension, and now it rarely, if ever, happens.
 
@Celle - thanks for asking, I think I am doing much better. I'm 9 weeks out ( feels more like 9 months), and I have a clearer idea of what I need to be doing and not doing. Two years ago I was the primary caretaker for my sister for 7 weeks after she had bilateral TKR. I thought I knew what to expect. But really it's one thing to watch someone do heel slides or try to pedal a bike and then do it yourself. And she had both hers done at the same time!

I noticed @theresav had one knee, then the other, done two months apart. I need my left one done but I'm really scared to do it. This has been more brutal, physically and emotionally, than I ever thought.

@theresav - for what it's worth, I agree with the others on the pain meds, too soon. I went from Percocet to Norco, which seemed a little better at about 4 weeks because I didn't like how I felt on the Percocet. I'm 9 weeks out now and I take between 1 and 2 10mg Norco per 24 hour period. I break them in half or in fourths. I also take Tylenol during the day but by about 4PM, my knee is hurting so that's when I take the Norco.

I shave around my scar, getting closer but it still freaks me out so I have some long hairs. Who cars, it's winter. I also have numbness not just around the scar, but down by the right inside ankle and up about 4 inches on the inside of my leg. It feels really weird to shave there. It's like shaving someone else's leg.

Went to a little dinner party tonight and wore real shoes and clothes, not my tennis shoes and work out clothes. Woo-Hoo!!

Happy New Year everyone!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom