Guest viewing is limited

TKR I'm 2 years out - Hooray

Here's a novel question: I had 2 total hip replacements on my right hip 7 and 3 years ago. 3 weeks ago I had a left total knee replacement. Which leg is now considered the " good" leg?? When the PTs say start with your good leg I look at them like they are crazy. I've been reading about people who do exercises on floor. I have hip precaution and can't sit on floor anymore
And can't imagine what it's like to actually bend down. Will thus fear pass???
Thanks for any info
 
Hi Suzanne
We had surgery on the same day :)
I am in Maine, so we are dealing with the same snowstorm. I had a PRKR not a total but the recovery seems to be about the same. I am only 43 and I am getting a bit frustrated at not being able to do the things I want as soon as I want but am learning that simply isn't possible.
I spent 12 days in the hospital after surgery in the rehab unit. Mostly this was due to the fact I have 26 stairs to go up to get into my house.
I am going to pt 3 x a week...Needless to say I am quite good on stairs lol!
I am having zero luck with sleeping. I lay awake all night while hubby snores and I try and cat nap during the day but it is completely wearing me down. Today I was an emotional wreck.
I find it so interesting how different the medical treatment is from place to place. I went home with a script for Lyrica, Valium, Tramadol and Oxycodone. I've relied mostly on the Tramadol taken with 1000 mg Tylenol. I've taken a few oxy and valium for break through pain and quad spasms only 2 or 3 times.
I was also.never told to elevate my leg. They never did it in the hospital and I was not told to do so at home, so I was quite surprised to learn about here. I've tried it a few times but it's been very painful, I'm unsure why. I will keep trying. I have my polar pack and homemade ice packs on nearly constantly.
I understand the whole cabin fever thing...I've ventured to the grocery store a couple times for short trips and out to dinner last weekend. It was awesome but I was very careful to not over do and was never actually more than 10 minutes from home.
I am facing my left knee needing the same surgery as soon as we can get the right rehabbed enough to withstand it. Ugh...
Anyway just wanted to say Hi from a fellow Jan 14th-er :)
I'm hoping to become more active on here but have been struggling with a lot of sadness and frustration and didn't want to post only that but I'm learning that's important as well.
Anyway...at least we're not alone on this journey!
Take care
Caryn

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
[Bonesmart.org] I'm 2 years out - Hooray
@susanne, I don't understand why you have hip precautions 3 years post op. My right hip is three years post op and I bend down all the time. I have no precautions and never think about it when doing anything. I can get on the floor---not too gracefully, and I can get up with some effort. Part of it is age---I'm ten years older than you---and part is that I have had both knees replaced and they are not fond of being knelt on.

Your good leg at the moment is your right---the leg without the knee replacement. Your hip should have little to do with your knee recovery. I had both knees replaced two days apart 11 months after my hip replacement. Never gave my hip any thought when recovering from the knees.

Is there a particular reason that you are afraid of bending down?
 
Yes. My first hip replacement dislocated at work I am a sp ed pre school teacher and at that time had no precautions. I landed up with a pseudo tumor, metal going thru my blood stream and my hip kept clicking and getting stuck. Dr disregarded all my complaints went to see my internist and neurologist thought everything in my head. That's when Neurologist ordered scans and blood work. My surgeon did nothing except to show up in court when I sued him. The angle of the stem was not in properly which caused dislocation and hip was disintegrating in leg
So for the past 3 years no floor time play for me. Had to readjust my class and the school had to accommodate my needs no sitting in small chairs etc. believe me this is not the way I want to live my life. Plus between the hips and knee had my shoulder replaced. Talk about being bionic
It is what it is I learned a lot from this experience and am extremely cautious in chairs I sit it position of hip and now knee. I know so scared it may happen again.
Hopefully fear will go away SOON!!
 
@caryn I too was told no you can't elevate your leg while in rehab. Then discovered hot red patch confirmed by aPT that I cellulitis. Started taking Keflax antibiotic 3x day. Even though the dr on call wasn't too sure which got me crazy bc I knew something was wrong. Finally after 5 days of tortuous swelling and heat a nurse came in told me to elevate with pillow but keep foot at edge so I was able to to do ankle flexes all the time. Without elevating my leg felt and looked like a sausage in a tight casing. At home I stack up 3 pillows like they show on this web site wrap in ice and feel so much better. I'm not to fond of Valium bc it's addicting and makes me feel so depressed. I take Xanax 1 mg to sleep along with my pain meds. So just about this time my eyes start rolling behind my head. The only problem is I'm up 3 hrs later. So I start the med routine all over again. I figured this won't be my forever sleep pattern, but I really want to just sleep at night
Tomorrow I hopefully will make it to my first dr appt in 3 weeks than start PT I have 1 staple left in knee that the PA missed so I'm hoping that little staple will make my leg bend more! Wishful thinking
Feel good it was nice chatting with you. I'm never leaving this site so informative!!!
Sweet dreams
 
Holy smokes ! You are the bionic women. I cant imagine the suffering and adjustments you have made just to function daily. I mean I have one bad knee but only for a few more days. Surgery like 100 hours away. Recovery will be tough and very lonely.i aready have cabin fever due to I only go to work and the gym. I will pray that you have a healthy recovery and that you heal properly. You have been through enough... with hips and now knee. Remember proper elevation and lots of ice. Prayers from California
 
Wow Susanne, you really have been through some tough times. I've been feeling sorry for myself with my knee feeling VERY tight and swollen more than usual. But that's par for this course I know. Seems like it comes and goes. But that's nothing compared to the hell you've gone through. I hope you get a good report at the Dr. today, and that your recovery goes well. My prayers are with you.
 
Ventured outside in the cold and ice for my 3 week check up. One staple that was left removed. Had good report from the PA as dr not available and didn't want to wait any longer. She said scar looks great swelling down and the tightness and log leg feeling will take time to go away. All in all very satisfied. Next appt in 1 month. Think the trick is all the icing and elevating thanks to this site explaining how and what to do. Again thank you everyone for all your great advice, information, and encouragement along the way.
 
Good report. Bit by bit you're getting there.
 
Thank you. Very pleased with report but don't want to get too excited. Came home and fell asleep for 3 hrs. Can't imagine how I'll feel when I go out for something other than dr appt. whoohoo
 
A nice long nap is just the prescription after an outing when you're this early:zzz:.
 
This was the toughest day yet. Going to dr and waiting 2-1/2 hrs for appt. the office staff was wonderful bringing me ice bags,water and crackers as I started to feel faint. When I finally got home felt ok and had a little dinner than....about 7:30 while watching the Olympics the throbbing and stabbing pain in my knee began, couldn't find a comfortable place to put myself. Sitting with log leg I had a drawing feeling. Took my meds and off to bed, elevated and iced until I fell into a deep sleep Sleep lasted 4 hrs and now wide awake. Refilled ice pack and starting all over again. All this for a staple left behind Next appt in a month dreading it. But hoping as the week progresses my physical therapy will start and I will get out of apartment more . Right now I feel like agoraphobic afraid to go out, but getting crazed walking from room to room doing my exercises
Does this sound "normal"? Am I missing something? Here in ny the snow piled high so very difficult getting across street fear #1 accomplished. Working on fear#2 walking on any black ice patch. Ok finished rambling thanks for my venting session. Hope everyone has an easy peaceful nite.
 
Hi @susanne, I had my surgery done on 3rd January, and I am still definitely recovering. No one warns us how it is gonna be post op! We are all unique individual, no two the same in recovery and therefore is going to variate. I read about two men yesterday who after having their ops had no pain!!!!!! WHAT!!!!!!!!! I was in blooming agony honest I was. My pain was so bad after, I even said that it was worse than childbirth which I always use as a benchmark for pain and I cried to my family when they visited saying I'd made a big mistake having it done. I'dont feel like that now because of small stuff I am doing that I could before like I dropped something on the floor and I bent my knee to pick it up, wow long time no do honest! This has to have been the most painful op I've ever had!!!!!

However, like I said day by day the pain is lessening but not the stiffness that's still ongoing. My drawback is being asthmatic I couldn't take anti inflammatory tablets which would have speeded things up a bit. I have had to learn all about patience which is not easy in this situation.

Poor @Josephine gives me the correct advice and guidance and then I go and mess it up through lack of patience! It's not right to do that I know! Sorry @Josephine! She is one amazing lady. So helpful with oodles of experience with joints. A gold mine of professional expertise just waiting to be dug so any medical worries she's your girl!!!!

Any way please take it easy and listen to your knee and your body. It is the expert xoxoxo good luck in your recovery xx. X
 
Hi, I been tryin to learn how to create my own thread and finally after a week found the magic tab.
So here goes. My journey began in 2007 with a hip revision. This lasted 3 years when I dislocated at work. I am a special ed pre school teacher for emotionally disturbed / autistic children.
Things didn't work out too well, I complained to my surgeon for 2 years saying something wrong, clicking sound, and leg getting stuck. He dismissed this as nothing wrong I'm fine. Well knew I wasn't sought help from my internet and neurologist. Anybody who would listen. Thankfully my neuro not my surgeon ordered cat scans, MRIs and blood work. Dx pseudo tumor with metal artifacts running thru blood stream scan also showed stem of hip off . My new surgeon could not believe that first dr didn't recognize the extent of problem. New surgeon did a hip replacement and I can tell you now it was night and day. I could have danced out if the hospital. Fast forward to 2011 total shoulder replacement no issues and now can scratch my back. This is all on my right side. Fast forward to jan 14 2014 Trkr. Yes one more bionic part. This is by far the hardest and most difficult recoop yet, I'm 3 weeks out after spending time in rehab. Learning how to move and exercise my "log leg". Haven't ventured out too much bc of the severe weather in NYC . But. Did manage a dr appt yesterday which left me totally drained and in pain. My life revolves around rotating ice packs elevating leg and of course reading and learning on this fabulous site.
I learned more from other patients than I did at rehab. Thank you for letting me tell my story
And for all if you who have offered encouragement and advice
I feel so blessed to have found bone smart
 
Hi @susanne - just thought I would pop in and say hello. You are 2 weeks ahead of me with your knee - and I can totally feel for you in terms of ice and elevation. My knee was so swollen I thought it would never bend - however I have persevered and seemed to spend all my time yesterday with my ice-packed knee in the air ...... well not really, but you know what I mean (sound familiar?) Just back from a Hydrotherapy session and the PT was pleased with my progress from 48 hours ago. So hurrah - it seems to be working! However I know from reading here that the whole tkr experience is very much 1 step forward and then 2 steps backwards. Grrrr... I'm not one of life's most patient people.
Sounds as if you have already worked your way around this site and know where everything is - but one of the Moderators will be along soon with links to all the essential stuff, for you.
Best thing about Bonesmart is that no matter where you are in the world, or what time of day or night it is, somebody will be online to chat to; or play a game with, or have a moan, or ask a question ....... and everyone is so friendly.
Keep us updated with your progress and ask any questions you cannot find answers to.
BTW - your work sounds fascinating. Do you miss the children? When do you hope to return?
Take care.
 
Hi! If you are familiar with the site, you may already know about the Library. It is located at the top, in the grey bar. It is full of LOTS of very informative articles.

Yes, this BoneSmart site IS a blessing.

It sounds like you have already learned that you have to be your own advocate in terms of your own health. That won't stop with this. Please don't let those PTs hurt you - don't let them undo all that good work that your surgeon did.

I have been through a lot of surgeries in my lifetime. This RTKR has been one of the toughest. It usually takes a year+ to recover from a surgery as traumatic as this one.

Remember to: Elevate! Elevate! Elevate! (your knee).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome @susanne! Glad you found us! You're right…there is so much information here! Thankfully someone was able to figure our your problem and correct it! Yes, the recovery is difficult (and I think even more so in the winter with the cold and snow making you more housebound than ever!), but I think you'll find in short order that you did the right thing in having it done! Hang in there!
 
Stopped the squats?!??!

Good!!!!! =)

(Do you have more than one thread? Maybe you could ask Josephine to combine them into one?)
 
Back
Top Bottom