THR I wanna sleep!<

I don't know what I am doing lol...how do I get to your thread?? I usually just click on new posts help!!!! Haha
 
Ok so my surgeon advised no manicures...pedicures..or pools for first 3 months...I wasn't allowed shave legs 2 days pre op...I am 19 days post op and growing like a gorilla on my legs!!!! I a nervous if I cut which I usually do...thinking of her Nair or Neet hair removal ...having hubbie apply 5 min before I go in shower and just rinse??? For posterior can't shave and bend the way I should...any other suggestions!! May be have hubbie shave legs while elevated and then go in shower?? What have you women be doing?? Should I even care?????? Hahahahaha
 
Hi Donnarita,
WARNING MEN: YOU WON'T BE INTERESTED!! (Ha-ha.....now they'll all read it!)

Hope you're doing well aside from the gorilla legs......haha!
Luckily, since I've hit 60....and over the past couple years.. I've needed to shave way less! Passages....I guess. While this is a sign of aging it's one I'll gladly take! Have you considered an electric razor? You'd still need help but there's less danger in gashing yourself while on a blood thinner.....if you still are? Also less risk of infection in the event you do cut yourself. What I want is a pedicure! I somehow painfully kept up with this on my own until my surgery. The price of beauty......or foolishness. I chose a nude color polish for my last pedicure figuring it would wear longer but I'm longing for a fresh pedi in RED!!!!!

I have heard to avoid nail salons for three months after total hip replacement. I know someone who went to treat herself after replacement and woke in the night with a throbbing toe. She aquired an Infection and needed a round of antibiotics along with a warning from her doc to steer clear of nail salons. While the tubs they use to soak your feet are sterilized I heard the danger or (filth) lies in the tubes that suck the water in an out. Gross! If anyone works at a salon and knows otherwise.....plz share.
This got away from the subject of shaving but may be beneficial to any other hippies reading who are daydreaming about a fresh pedi.

I hope your recovery is going well.....A great evening to you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
TY so much Kayla for the electric razor idea !!!! I know about the toes!! I need mine clipped so bad but I can't reach and an afraid for anyone else to do it in case they cut too low!!! I guess I will soak my clippers in alcohol before to sanitize!! I think I may even wait more than the 3 months just to make sure. I am doing great!! In fact the PT told me today to get out with the hubbie for a short time and come home and ice and elevate..we went to dinner and I had brought my comfy seat cushion...it was good to get out...I wasn't in any pain and getting in and out of the car was very comfortable. I am on 325 mg aspirin 2x day and that's about it...I haven't even needed Tylenol last few days...went off of pain killers day 3 and was fine on 1000mg Tylenol 2x day...TY for the help best to you also !!
 
What have you women be doing?? Should I even care??????
No, I don't think you should care. But the alternative is a disposable razor strapped to a plastic ruler with duct tape. Makes a light weight, long handled razor. The cream hair removal products are probably a safer option.
 
Hi @Donnarita
I noticed you were asking how long people's OS's kept them on aspirin therapy for blood clot prevention. I've heard / read so many varying opinions on this. My OS wants me to take Asprin 325mg 2x daily for one month post surgery. However, I was also instructed to wear the TED socks for every 20 hours out of 24.
In addition I wore the inflatable DVT cuffs anytime I was sitting or sleeping which was often in the early days. On about Day 12 post op I talked to the physician assistant who said he'd be happy if I wore the cuffs at least 50% of the time. I cut back on wearing them a lot during the day as I became more mobile but wore them during the overnight as I slept. At my three week checkup he said I could ditch the socks and the DVT cuffs, which I did.
You will probably hear a different scenario from each person who responds.
Continued healing to you!
 
You are so right Layla! Everyone surgeon us different...I never wore socks or tens or cuffs or whatever all those things are...just aspirin and ankle pumps and elevation...I have to say I was moving very well since the first week...Walking and PT..TY for your response I appreciate it! I go for my 6 week post op Aug 8...I am hoping to have all restrictions lifted and off aspirin!
 
So interesting what folks miss. I don't shave anything but parmesan into my salad. But I am known for my low-maitenance beauty routine - ha! I think the hair removal stuff might be your best bet. I took the low aspirin for about 4 weeks only and ditched the darn socks after a few days of torture. Hang in - you're doing great and it gets better and better.
 
HI ALL ! my RTHR went great!!! I am in my room!! Spinal was great!!! Walked down hall in recovery area!! Not on a really strong Pain Med, Tylenol, anti nausea patch behind ear..I can truly say I am overwhelmed with the hospital and staff!! My son is a PA here so even better!!! In my room by 2:00...just took another walk down hall & Sat in chair for 15 minutes!!! Hoping tomorrow it continues !!!
Hi Donnarita and congratulations! Sounds like you are doing really Well, long may it continue!
 
I believe I was on the aspirin until about 8 weeks. It was 2 baby aspirin daily and I had the infamous socks for 2 weeks. @Layla is right though that all doctors and instructions are different so it is probably best to do what your doctor said.
 
Yes. The doctors are taking alot of other factors into consideration when they give their recommendations.
Risk factors specific to their patient.
Those will obviously vary tremendously and not be consistent just because we are all recovering from THR.
 
Hey @Donnarita if shaving is the worst of your problems...:heehee: I can't remember the last time I shaved! Wear capri's in summer, and if I see Nuttin', surely nobody else does either, right!!

I stopped painting my toenails in... well, I never did, did I. Oops. But I didn't have time even for podiatrist pre-op. Ugh. So they are quite unattractive!

Other than that, how are you?
 
@zauberflore...I am doing well! At my 4 week Mark...pretty much doing laundry ..done cleaning..more walking etc..still icing and resting in between...having visitors more often...moving a lot more now than pre op so I hope to lose weight..just in case knee needs to get done..when I become more mobile something else always goes on me..aaaaaaah to be young again!! I could care less about nails and toes!! One of my bonies have me a great idea about the leg shaving...they duct tape their razor to a ruler!!! My hubbie is looking for a stick right now!!! All is good! Continued wonderful health to you!!! ❤❤
 
I have a question for my Smarties!!! I know the elevation pillow with the pins etc. .I am in my fifth week post op...all these weeks at bedtime the PT showed me I can put a pillow starting half way down thigh to under my feet...as long as not under knees alone lifting the knees...I tried last night to eliminate any pillows under me and just used one between my legs...it was fine..didn't hurt...I am wondering at bedtime how everyone sleeps with rgeur pillows?? I really don't have swelling outside but still ice during day with the exercise and walking...Josephine at this point is it ok if I don't use pillows at bed time?? Should I do what is comfy for me or is it too soon...I don't want to undo the good I have done...TY my wonderful friends!!!!!!
 
@Donnarita honey Josephine can't see you unless you tag her I'm keeping her hopping with my mega poop questions. I was NOT given a leg shave Okay until my doctor said ...the pillows I was given the OK at 12 weeks you cannot allow yourself to abduct. That said someone else was allowed to shave my legs and cut my toe nails ... slowly. Hubby did. As I live in shorts and flip-flops I wanted smooth legs and arms pits. You need to tag Josephine with @ touching her name
 
@Donnarita if your surgeon has not imposed any restrictions just do what is comfortable for you. If you can sleep without the pillows that's great. Alway put a pillow between your legs if you are sleep on your side however. This is to ensure that top leg does not drop to the bed while you are asleep.
 
@Donnarita
Good recovery so far.
I don't shave my legs either
But I'm a man .
Jaycey is right about the pillow, it doesn't need to be a really thick one it needs to stop the legs crossing at this stage.
I still use a small one actually even though there is no need.
Joe......
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom