THR I wanna sleep!<

Donnarita, You may notice that I merged your latest thread with your original recovery thread. We need you to post all your updates, questions and concerns here so that all your information is in one place. That makes it so much easier for us to go back and review things when we need to provide advice. If you want another thread title at some point, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

If you read the links that Jo posted for you (you did read them, right???), you'll see that you are just in the earliest days after a very major surgical procedure! Your description of your nighttime activity and the tears indicate it is way too soon for you to be off your pain medications. If they make you drowsy during the day, that's fine. You're supposed to be resting. A lot!

Also, you do not need to be doing any exercises three times a day. Depending on what the exercises are, once a day or even just when the therapist comes is fine. As long as you are getting up and walking around a bit every hour or so, that's fine. Hips don't really need a lot of exercises anyway. Walking is best and only if not done in excess. Your body is healing right now and that takes priority over everything. It needs rest and tender care to heal.

If you're worried about your therapist, remember that you are in control of your recovery. You have the right to set limits for what you will and won't do. After all, you know how you feel and you know your body better than anyone. It's quite likely that all that exercising he's demanding of you is also why you are so uncomfortable at night. You overtax your body during the day and you're going to hurt when you try to sleep.

The restlessness and tears you're experiencing are some of the ways the body manifests pain. You need to recognize that and treat the pain properly.

There is no magic about being in your room or not. Right now you need to do what makes you the most comfortable. In between those short jaunts around the house you should be resting with your leg up (toes above the nose), ice on your hip and pain medications on a schedule if you need them. Tylenol (1000mg every 6 hours) is fine during the day if that keeps you comfortable. If not, switch to something stronger for a while. When you are resting and icing, it's fine if you nod off to sleep. Get your rest wherever and whenever you can right now.

Your hip is not going to dislocate. That is actually a very rare occurrence. Follow whatever sleeping guidance your surgeon gave you. Usually that means you may need a pillow between your legs. And you usually are permitted to turn on your side (with the pillow) for short periods of time as it's comfortable for you to do so. But I think once you get your pain under control, sleeping on your back won't be such a problem.

So.....what exercises is it that the therapist is having you do? Knowing that can help us provide even better guidance for you.
 
Hi Donnarita, like you I had a RTHR posterior cut, but on 2 June so I'm about 3 weeks ahead of you. I can really empathasise with what you are going through as I've always been a side sleeper too. My surgeon told me exactly what Jamie has just said, which is that the chances of dislocating your hip by how you sleep are tiny. But like you I was nervous about it and it was 2 weeks after my op before I finally decided to give it a go...it's really helped! I find that using the biggest pillow I can between my legs give me more confidence. I manage to sleep for up to 2 hours at a time on my side...then I wake because it aches a bit so I turn over onto my back ( carefully and keeping the pillow in place); I usually get an hour on my back before waking and turning onto my side again. At first I was awake quite a while each time I turned over but now I'm finding I go almost straight off to sleep again, so I'm getting about 7 hours sleep in total each night in 4 or 5 separate stints. You could also try putting pillows on either side of you if you are worried about turning over further than you should in your sleep.
I've haven't done any PT exercises...just concentrated on gradually building up the walking day by day as the leg has got stronger. Ice and elevation really helped, especially in the first 2 weeks.
Your first couple of weeks can be a real rollercoaster...and not sleeping makes it seem much worse. But I found that from week 3 onwards I was feeling much better. I hope you manage to get some good sleep soon. Best wishes for your recovery.
 
@Donnarita Tomorrow starts my 7th week out...I just started sleeping on my non-operative side(right) a week ago for a short amount of time after my LTHR. I slept sitting up (with pillows stuffed behind me and under knees) after about 2 hours of back sleeping for weeks. I still flip around and still uncomfortable sleeping on my LTHR, feeling numb and slight aches. Keep up with the walking/ice/elevation/pain medicine and PATIENCE:yes:. It'll start getting better.
My first 2-3 weeks were tough but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :idea:
This site helps you realize the stages you'll go through are normal. Feel better!
 
Hi Diane. I was so lucky that I am predominantly a back sleeper but oddly enough, I would wake up in pain and find I was sleeping on my surgery side. I agree with Delphi about making a nest for yourself. You can get "eggcrate mattress toppers" (just search for that phrase) which might provide relief for your back. Best of luck in your continued recovery.
 
I am just 6 weeks from posterior (mini)THR and have been sleeping on my non operated side (with a pillow) since about three days post op. Initially I could only stay on my side for a short time before it became uncomfortable but as the weeks have passed I have been able to sleep on both sides and now alternate between operated and non operated side through the night. I have seen my surgeon today for final follow up and he has said that I no longer need to use a knee pillow for sleeping and all restrictions are now lifted. My cane remains in the car, where it has been for the past two weeks but I have not used it.

I have had two physio appointments since my surgery - one at two weeks and the other at five weeks. On each occasion they basically watched me walk along the corridor and up and down stairs, checked my range of movement and were very happy with my progress - I have done very little "physio-type" exercise but am active around the house and garden and with my two small grandchildren and my dog. Please believe what you are told here - you do not need to be doing sets of this or that - your hip will get better by itself and gentle walking around is enough, certainly until the post op soreness has totally gone.
 
I am NOT a back sleeper. I also have back issues so that seems to be a problem, too. I tried sleeping in bed, even with the pillows, I could not get comfortable. If I managed to fall asleep it wasn't long and my back was hurting very badly. I wound up sleeping in the recliner, I didn't fight it to go to "bed". I used the recliner during the day anyway, but at night I had a routine going and got comfortable. I actually slept quite well, each week getting better. The first couple of weeks I was up a number of times for the bathroom but after that, I slept well in the chair. My opinion, you do what works for you. No reason sleep at night needs to be in bed. Some are comfortable and can sleep on their back. Others use pillows but that just wasn't comfortable for me. I have no regrets about sleeping in the recliner if I could get to sleep.
 
Hi, @donnab803 ...
Ask your surgeon if it's okay to sleep on your side. You can email or call his nurse or PA or office person and they'll get the answer for you. That's what he and his staff are there for. I also never was a back sleeper and it drove me nuts. I finally asked my surgeon when I could switch to the side and it was sooner than I'd thought. So it never hurts to ask! (Strangely, I now sleep on my back quite a bit. Never would have believed I could, but I kinda like it.) I think you'll find like most of us that you will suddenly turn a corner and experience feeling better. But you're not even a week out of surgery, and you got released really quickly. So hang in there.....
 
The first couple of weeks were really hard for me. Sleeping, walking, eating, going to the bathroom. Not sleeping... Yucky feeling from meds... But I just kept on top of the meds for the pain and only got catnaps for days.
Does drive you nuts and with anterior bilateral I was laying like a plank nervous I would accidently turn on those horrid looking incisions. My back bothered me badly also.
It WILL get better. Much sympathy here...
 
Yes to all of the above! I'm 12 weeks into my recovery. I had no problems with sleeping on my back the first few weeks as I was still taking pain medication with opioids. When that was finished I had that restless irritation feeling you describe. I started lying on my side at about 7 weeksbut I have to say it wasn't the fear of dislocation that kept me from it but that it wasn't comfortable. So I'd want to be on my side but then switch to my back, then the other side and so forth. Arghh! I strongly recommend that you go back to your pain meds, ice and elevate way more than you think!
And for exercise just walk. Lie to your pt if you feel the need. You don't need it. I'm walking normally with no discomfort. Trust your body.
And read other threads especially old timers like Irish Joe etc...
 
Oh my ask your OS's office they can ask the doctor....2nd week and it was a blessing. I would have cried if it had been a minute longer. I kept not only pillows be between my legs but around me too so I didn't lol roll off the bed or anything. :elevate:. The position beside this is ummmm hell IMO
 
PS. Do ice I STILL do. I am wondering why you went off meds so fast? I cut down but didn't go off. I just slowly started stopping the days meds as I noticed be I didn't need them. I have a high pain tolerance but um I think be maybe adding back one or two to sleep is OK
 
I can stand to roll over on my right side now to reach for something, but no way I can sleep on it yet. I can sleep on my left side now, but couldn't until last week.
I feel your pain, I am a side sleeper and having to sleep on my back nite after nite was terrible.

So I could sleep on opposite side after 3 weeks.
After my LTHR, it was about 10-weeks before I could sleep on my left.
 
Rolling over to my right side is becoming more comfortable, and I've even found myself sleeping on that side a couple of times. I don't think I stayed there all that long. I've found myself on my stomach pretty regularly, but had anterior, so positioning is not a concern. I hope you are able to rest well soon.
Michele
 
Peaches!!!! Much better and thank you for asking!!!! Walking Moreland exercises helping heal the muscle inside...dr mayman office sent PT here 3 days after surgery...he wants me build that muscle in there...will do out patient therapy in couple weeks for months...I am hoping at my 6 week follow-up on Aug 8 that all restrictions will be lifted!! Everday is for the better! Hope you are doing well!! Thank God no more pre op pain!!! :)
 
Hi Donnarita,
Nice to see you post! I believe you were active on either my pre-op, or post op thread. I wanted to thank you for your encouragement early on. I'm trying to play catch up with some posters. The support, advice and encouragement offered on this site has made my day at times. You are only about 4 days ahead of me in the healing process. I hope things continue to progress for you. I'd like to imagine us ALL in a circle doing a jig around @Irish Joe, ha! A girl can dream......right? A great weekend to you filled with peaceful sleep and sweet dreams!
 
Thank you @ Layla!!! I am glad you are doing good!! I am 2 weeks tomorrow and everyday gets better!! It feels good to do things for myself and become more independent! And although I have lost op pain it feels so good to walk with the post op pain and not the pre op bone on bone pain!!! Looking forward to reading your future progress!! And @Irish Joe....we will all do a jug in about 4 months around you!!!!- you can be Michael Flatley ...Riverdance!!!!!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom