Guest viewing is limited

TKR I started back to work then - oops!

Getting comfortable in bed is just a matter of trial and error, I'm afraid. Your position doesn't really matter - elevate if you can, but it's not essential. You don't have to lie flat on your back with your legs out straight, either.
Sleep in your usual position if you can.

You don't even have to sleep in bed if you're more comfortable elsewhere. I know that I alternated between bed and recliner for several months, sometimes even changing places during the night.
 
Jane,

I to had my TLKR on 9/19. I work in the school system as a Para with the teacher. I am standing 75% of the day. At first I had planned on going back to work st 8 weeks. At my first postop visit at 2 weeks we discussed my return to work in which he advised me to take 12 weeks. I am so glad I changed the return to work date! I am still using a cane and taking Tramadal and Tylenol every 5 hours. There is no way I could have returned at 8 weeks. When I had my last total and then a revision on my right knee I went back at 8 weeks. I was able to prop and Ice at different times of the day then,
but it was way to soon! Exhausted by the end of the day and did nothing more than come home and elevate, Ice and go to bed. I would advise to talk to your OS about your return date. Having fibromyalgia, this could really set you back returning to early.
 
Thank you for your reply. I am still on my meds every 4 hours ,and using a cane. As I have Fibromyalgia,I am very tired most of the time,especially as I'm not sleeping very well.
My Dr has signed me off for a further 2 weeks which will then make me 9 weeks post operation when I return to work.

I see you had your knee done on the 19th September,the same day as me. I hope your feeling a little better now.
I'm having my RTKR on January 9th 2018.

Take care.
 
Glad you changed your return to work date. Are you able to elevate and Ice at work? Good to hear of somebody else on a cane at 7 weeks. I’m finally able to push out pain meds to every 5 the last several days. However after PT today, I’m thinking 4! They are taking it slow, but today had me step up on operative leg on stair step and sideways to. I was pulling up on rails as well. She gave me assurance about it was okay that I’m still using cane, that strength will come. I’m trying to be patient through the process. One day at a time!
 
I am still on my meds every 4 hours ,and using a cane. As I have Fibromyalgia,I am very tired most of the time,especially as I'm not sleeping very well.
My Dr has signed me off for a further 2 weeks which will then make me 9 weeks post operation when I return to work.
I'm glad you've got an extra 2 weeks. If you feel closer to that time that you are still not ready for work, do ask for longer. 12 weeks off is very common and I think your knee will need that long.
 
T As I have Fibromyalgia,I am very tired most of the time,especially as I'm not sleeping very well.
I hear you. Are you able to take a nap in the afternoon?
I know I slept in 2 installments overnight for several weeks. I would get up and read for an hour or so and then go back to sleep.
 
Hi Kneeper,
I wonder if you could answer me this question.
I am still in a lot of pain,and I am still on regular pain medication . I was wondering is it right to still be in this much pain? I am taking Co Codamol every 4hours.
Or am I being to hard on my self? I had my operation on the 19/09/17.

Many thanks.
 
I looked up Co Codamol and it contains 500mg Paracetamol (Tylenol/Acetaminophen) with 15mg or 30mg Codeine.

Codeine isn't really very good at treating pain after a TKR and the dose of Paracetamol is only half the effective dose, if taken on its own.

In your shoes, I would be inclined to talk to your GP about pain relief and ask if you can either be prescribed Tramadol, which you can take with Paracetamol, or just take Paracetamol 1,000 mg 4-6 hourly. The safe daily dosage of Paracetamol is 4,000 mg, divided into 4 doses of 1,000 mg each.
 
How are you doing? 9 weeks tomorrow and I’m still on a cane. Are you still? I just still can’t walk right without it. It is painful to walk through a full step without my hip coming up. When my pain is good and under control it is a little easier but slow and doesn’t seem right.
 
Hi everyone,

I started back at work yesterday for a few hours,and by the time I got home I was exhausted. I haven't slept much all night because of pain and worrying about my job .
Today I have not gone in to work and I telephone my Dr.
I am now off until the 9th December.
I should have stayed home. It takes me up to two hours to get to work an d the same home. At work I felt confused and very anxious . I wish I had stayed off and not rush back.

I'm having my Right leg done in January,so at least I will know for next time.

Sorry for the rant.

Jane x
 
Hi @LuluArchie, sorry to hear you had such a difficult first day back at work. I don't know what work you do but all that travel to and from can't be good at this stage. My surgeon signed me off work for three months right from the start and I took his advice. After the three months, I returned part time, gradually increasing my time until I was ready and able to resume normal hours. I found that with all the medication I was on, my head was still quite fuzzy and it wasn't until I had reduced them significantly that I was able to perform mentally at work. There are so many aspects to knee replacement surgery, not just the physical, that we need to be kind to ourselves (and others) and really take as much time as possible to recuperate. If we rush it, we will more than likely relapse and take twice as long to get better. Wishing you well for the next couple of weeks and hope you see some more improvement.
:flwrysmile:
 
Hello again @LuluArchie - you will see that I have moved your post from the new thread you started in the Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area to your own recovery thread, here in the Knee Replacement Recovery Area.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on. Please do that, so that we don't have to keep moving your posts and threads. I think this is about the fourth time you've posted in the wrong place.

I have posted articles this time and previously that tell you how to do things on BoneSmart. I hope you read them.
If you're still having trouble, there is a whole section with lots of useful "How to . . " articles, here:
How To Use This Forum
 
I started back at work yesterday for a few hours,and by the time I got home I was exhausted. I haven't slept much all night because of pain and worrying about my job .
Today I have not gone in to work and I telephone my Dr.
I am now off until the 9th December.
I should have stayed home. It takes me up to two hours to get to work an d the same home. At work I felt confused and very anxious . I wish I had stayed off and not rush back.
We do advise people not to go back to work until about 12 weeks after a knee replacement:
Phased return to work

Before that time, you body really isn't used to the extra stress that going to work puts on it.
You will still tire easily, because of the Energy drain for TKRs
Most of your body's energy is still being directed towards healing your knee.

I'm glad you managed to get a medical certificate to stay off work for a while longer. Your knee will be much happier when you go back again.
 
I feel awful going back to work for one day,and now off again for a two further weeks, but I honestly thought I would be able to cope. I'm lucky in that I have a very understanding Dr.

Many thanks for your replies.
 
I have been to physio today and my therapist has said that just that one day back at work has set my recovery back. I was walking fairly well ,and now I am limping again,I have pain behind my knee and I have gone back to not sleeping. It just shows that you can't rush these things.
 
Unfortunately, the knee is always the boss. There's no way to rush the healing. It takes as long as it takes!
 
Hi @LuluArchie I see you had asked me a question about a week ago--sorry I missed your post. But I see our other advisors helped you out. :thumb:

Ache behind the knee was the last thing to go for me. Do ice back there when you ice.
 
Hi, our surgery dates are the same. I bought a cheap body pillow. It has been the best investment! Use it between knees and mainly lay on my right side as it is my left knee that was replaced. It just gives the
Whole leg support.
 
Hi @Lynne Cleveland,

How are you doing with your knee? I am still not back at work . I tried half a day and it knocked me for six. I'm still in some pain.
What do you find works for you? I would love to hear how you are getting on.
 
Even waiting a full 12 weeks before returning to work was hard for me. When my OS didn’t want me to return at 12 weeks I asked if he’d let me return for half days. My school wanted me back enough that they worked out a substitute for the afternoons. Getting ready and driving there was exhausting, then I taught for 3.5 hours and went home to rest and elevate. Six weeks later I wen back full time.

Can you manage to hold off until after Christmas? That seems like a good transition time frame.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom