TKR I really didn't know what I was getting into!

If it's bad PT, which yours seems to be, I think it's a waste of time going, even if it is free.
No PT at all is better than bad PT.

You've probably learned enough by now to be able to do a few exercises at home by yourself, anyway.
 
That's okay then. At least you have a voice now and are in charge of your therapy. Hang in there and don't be pushed to do anything that is more than mildly uncomfortable. I think you're doing just great, so keep your spirits up! You're still really, really early in this recovery process, so there is plenty of time to get where you want to be.
 
@Celle - I'm not going to physio for about 10 days because of scheduling conflicts, so my PT told me to do all the same exercises I do at rehab at home... three times a day! Ha! I'll do some stretches myself - maybe once a day. I have only about two rehab sessions left and I will go to use their recumbent bike (at 0 tension) and to practice going up and down their few stairs (our condo has none - but there are stairs in life!) Then I'm outra there no matter what ROM number I might have then! My PT already knows how I feel. I told her I'm fed up. I'm sure her report to my surgeon will say I've been a "non-compliant" patient who wants to take control myself. True! :)

@Jamie - I didn't mean to hijack anyone else's recovery thread! I thought other members might be interested in the different schools of thought about icing - and we might all get the truth! Also, I noticed just this evening that my ankle is swollen on the foot of the leg that had the knee surgery. That's never happened before - ever. So why now when I'm coming up to seven weeks post op, do you suppose? Should we ask @Josephine since she's a nurse?
 
I understand the discussion about icing. We have it come up now and then here on the forum. The only problem with your post was that the new member who started that thread wasn't asking about ice. Your discussion is certainly relevant, but it's better here in your own thread. Don't worry about it. This happens now and then. When we catch it, we'll get posts in the right place so that information flows well in each person's recovery thread.

It's not unusual to have swelling in your feet and ankle during recovery. Seven weeks is still early and lots of things that never appeared before can pop up. It's usually the result of you doing a bit more activity than you had been. You also may have spent more time on your feet or sitting with your leg down. The "cure" is the same....get your leg elevated (toes above the nose) and put ice on the area that is swollen. You also can do a little lymphatic massage to encourage the fluid to move toward your body core. The lymph system works fairly slowly and the physical massage from lower to upper leg can move things along a little faster.

Jo will pop in here soon to respond as well.
 
Hi knees4me!
I had RTKR on January 10. Ugh, I so didn't get how crappy I would feel[emoji21]. I felt like no one really told the truth!! I too wondered if I had done the right thing. However, this site helped me keep my sanity! Their advice and information has been exceptional. Especially the rest, ice, ELEVATE!!!

Now, after 4 weeks I started feeling better and I'm on my fifth week feeling really good. I drove for the first time today! Cooked dinner and cleaned up. I still get fatigued but the site said that is to be expected so I'm giving myself grace. Keep reading the posts here as they are so helpful. It will get better, relax, before long you will be back to a busy life. Blessings, WAL


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@wall - Thanks for your encouraging words. But one of my struggles is that people - who mean well, I know - all along have been telling me things like "before long" and "in no time" I'll be running around on my new knew doing errands, dancing at weddings, etc. (not really, but you get my drift!) Like some others on this forum, I don't think I wastold the truth about how difficult TKRS surgery really is! Pre-op education for patients and their families needs to be much better! I had my surgery after you and I can't drive yet. I'm still on opioid painkillers because I still have a lot of pain! My surgeon told me last week that mine was a "challenging" knee to operate on. She said she had to switch to Plan B during my knee surgery because she found a bone anomaly that hadn't shown up on the X-rays. She had trouble fitting in one of the pieces of hardware. Yuck! Because of that, she said, my recovery will probably take longer than average. I've already been in rehab longer than many who had their ops around the same day as mine (Jan. 3). So, what treat can I get right now to get me through to when I finally - just once - get up in the morning and feel great/like the old me...whenever that may be. At this point I see no benefit - not one - of having had TKR surgery on my left knee. People also say, "It'll get better. I promise." But when?
 
@wal
Thank you for your encouraging post. I have edited it, to remove the long quote at the beginning. You don't have to quote a message in order to posst a reply. Just start typing in the box at the bottom of the page.

Also, I'm afraid that emojis don't work on BoneSmart.

Would you like to start a recovery thread of your own, so that we can follow your progress, too?
 
@Knee4me. What a pity this has been so traumatic for you. I entirely agree that people tell all sorts of positive things before the op! I suppose they don't want to scare you or put you off. You do seem to be unusually unlucky though. Sending positive vibes from across the Atlantic. You won't always feel like this!
 
so my PT told me to do all the same exercises I do at rehab at home... three times a day! Ha! I'll do some stretches myself - maybe once a day.
And none at all at the weekends! Even God had a day of rest!
 
@Josephine - Exactly! After thinking about it all day yesterday, I ran out of time to even go on the recumbent bike in my condo's gym because my husband had dinner ready!! Hehe. Today a friend I haven't seen for a while is coming to tea. Then I may take the dog out briefly. That's it!
 
Oh @Knees4Me what a time you're having! Look forward to a glass of chilled white wine as a treat for the day when you're off those meds. That day will come, its just that we don't know when it will be!
 
Appetite loss is pretty common after tkr. Even I, who almost never loses my appetite, did. Unfortunately for me, it came back! :heehee:

Same here!

@Knees4Me Your surgeon sounds lovely and very understanding. I hope you get some relief soon and l really hope you don't follow in the way of your parents regarding arthritis. I got my Anna's knees and that was bad enough! Let the countdown to chilled white wine day begin!
 
@Spex10 - Thanks so much for your compassion! I expected my recovery would be straightforward and I'd be driving and drinking - but not at the same time, of course (haha) - by the six week post-op mark. But, alas, that milestone passed nearly a week ago. I'm now afraid that my new knee will never completely heal and be pain-free! I do not yet know what's so great about TKR surgery. My pain at nearly seven weeks "out" is worse than my arthritic pain ever was. Yet my OS said at my six-week post-op follow-up appointment that everything looked good. Hope I reach a positive turning point by the time I see her again in another six weeks! - Sleepless in Toronto.
 
@Knees4Me
It sounds as if nobody told you how long recovery from a TKR takes, so you went into it with unrealistic expectations. Not your fault at all, but a pity all the same.
It's a complex surgery that causes a lot of trauma and you don't bounce back within 6 weeks or so.

Complete recovery does take a full year, and where your knee is now is not where it's going to end up. Your knee is still a work in progress. It's going to end up being just fine, but it will still take a long time.

I don't know of anyone who feels at 7 weeks that it was a good idea to have the TKR. Often, it takes about 6 months before you realise all the benefits. It is worth it, though.

This recovery is a great test of patience and recovery seems to go slowly, but you will get there.
[Bonesmart.org] I really didn't know what I was getting into!
 
@Celle - Thanks for your encouragement. I find I need constant reassurance and, as you say, patience. Yes, I had more optimistic expectations. Some days are just so darn hard, especially the painful ones. But this forum is a blessing. I'm so glad I found you and the others!!
 
We're here to help. We do understand how it feels, because we've all had at least one joint replacement ourselves.
 
@Knees4Me this is such an up and down journey. I thought I was prepared, having researched extensively. I am only just over four weeks but already second guessing my progress (or lack thereof). My educated brain knows that I have weeks/months to go but my addled/too much time on my hands brain has me crying one minute and positive the next. I hate the lack of independence!. I hate seeing my family go on with life without me! We are all in this together.
 
I find I need constant reassurance and, as you say, patience. Yes, I had more optimistic expectations. Some days are just so darn hard, especially the painful ones.

I think we all do! Ah, these up and down days!
 
Back
Top Bottom