Guest viewing is limited

TKR I now have a matching set!

@Chemist I will be getting a matching set in a few months. Glad to hear it is going so well for you!
 
Good luck to you Katchmo. I am amazed at how well this is going . My first knee was so challenging that I almost cancelled this surgery. I am glad I didn't cancel. I tried my first heal slide tonight and judging with my non-calibrated eye it was close to 90 degrees with very little pain. Good end to a great day. Planning a big adventure tomorrow - a short walk outside in the garden. Good night everyone.
 
Last edited:
Good morning. Had a good night's sleep which is always a good thing. Worked in the kitchen a bit and then took a short walk in the garden (have to do that early in Houston because of the best and humidity). Only problem I am having is that my OS can't locate a home health nurse and a home PT that insurance will approve. I think things are fine but it would be nice to get things checked. Take care.
 
Well... you can do without the home PT. I mean, you know how to keep your new knee nice and mobile and how to gently stretch it. So in a pinch you can skip the PT (and might even want to do that). But of course the nurse would be nice! Hope the OS can find one for you. Insurance can be such a pain to deal with.
 
Just talked to my OS .All parties could not reach agreement so I am going to skip all of the home health care and will start outpatient PT on May 29. Oh well, no big deal. Just glad I am good progress so I can handle going to the facility.
 
Since I won't have a home care nurse I just took off the big bandage at the request of my OS. Kind of disappointing. The incision was much more impressive last time since they used a bunch of staples to close it. Almost Frankenstein in nature. This time they closed with dissolving sutures and surgical glue. I won't get much sympathy with that. :)
 
Last edited:
I talked to my OS about a number of changes that were made between my surgeries. He said he belongs to a group that meets periodically to define best practices. Changes that were made: 1 night in hospital vs 2, no catheter, no patient controlled painkiller pump, no staples to close the incision. Just thought it was interesting that the TKR procedure is still evolving
 
I also think it is on the way they do the anaesthetic. I had a spinal block and woke up with a catheter I had no feeling in my legs and bladder for hours so I think it was better than wetting the bed It was taken out after 36 hours.

MY surgery was at 1pm and Imdid not get the use of my legs till 9 in the evening. My next op is in the morning so it may be different. Not long to go so I will know more after Tuesday.

Also the last operation. I had no bruising on my leg at all.
 
Good Morning Bonesmarties: Hope all of you are well..

Day 5 of my recovery marathon. Not much to talk about other than I continue to be amazed by this new knee. I slept through the night which is always nice. I will admit I am stiff in the morning and it takes a while to get things moving. As I sit here this morning (leg elevated) my pain level is 0 so I am going to increase the time between pain killer doses. I plan to increase the number of laps today and will also increase the number of stretches.

I just noticed that swelling of my foot, leg and knee decreased noticeably overnight.

I am steady and strong enough that I am able to walk without my cane.

I start PT on Tuesday.

Have a great day folks
Chemist
 
Last edited:
Good afternoon everyone. Day 6 post op. Things are still going well. Slept well, got up feeling a little stiff but got things worked out. Went outside for a nice (but short) walk. Doing a little pedalling on my little stationary device to keep things lose. Of course still icing and elevating. Not much else to add .

Take care
Chemist
 
Last edited:
It's great that you are doing so well. Trying not to get hopes up that my second one will be easier.
 
Impressive! Love to read about you amazing healers and movers. Quite jealous. I had all of those same changes too, from first knee to second knee: 1 night, no catheter, leg pumps for clots, painkiller button, and no staples/sutures. And I agree, those staples really conjured up some sympathy. This little incision line gets "Oh, that looks so good" which means "Oh, you look almost all done with this whole business.":gaah::heehee:
 
Great that you feel able to walk without the cane, but you might want to keep it handy.If nothing else it gives you a little stability and takes a bit of strain off the leg.
I know I was so impressed to how stable the new joint felt compared to my loosey goosey pre-op joint. But I still needed the walking aids for a while.
 
Thanks Kneeper: I intend to use the cane and/or walker on unfamiliar territory and around people. People tend to be less pushy and give way a bit more if they see you coming with some sort of assist device
 
Good Morning Everyone! Beginning of day 7. Not much new to add. New knee is amazing. I wish the 1st knee would have behaved like this .Oh well. The surgery is definitely worth it. I would do it all again (even the rough first knee recovery) to end up with the knee stability that I now have.

Take care everyone
Chemist
 
How wonderful that you’re doing so well! I can almost hear the new spring in your step. I had both knees done at once and one knee complained a lot, but the other was an angel. Sounds like your left knee is your angel!
 
Hi SusieShoes: I know that the phrase "a new lease on life" is old fashioned but that is how I feel. I started this process when I started skipping hikes and activities on vacations with my wife because of pain and instability. I intend to have well traveled new knees. The first one has been to India (hence the elephant avatar) and did very well. I am taking both of my knees to Botswana next year. Something I wouldn't even consider with my old knees
 
Greetings from Texas. Day 8 of recovery. Had my first PT session. Definitely a gentle approach .No use of force. Consensus is that the new knee is doing well. Forgot to mention that flexion was 90 and extension was 17. Not bad considering I am still swollen

take care all
Chemist
 
Last edited:
I am taking both of my knees to Botswana next year. Something I wouldn't even consider with my old knees

I couldn't even take my old knees to a farmer's market! Botswana is a trip worthy of new knees. Imagine all the wonders of the world you will now be able to enjoy! :happydance:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom