THR I made it. At last!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can sometimes take a bit of adjusting to get the pain meds right. I am sure your doctor will try something else to control the pain.
My sister helped me the first weeks once my partner went back to work. She was very good but it drove me nuts trying to find things as she put things in different places to me.
Enjoy your birthday a week on Saturday.
Barbara
 
Jo everyone heals differently, Get it checked to put your mind at rest. My hip feels fine but when i sit, i feel as though i have a lumpy bit at my bum and my muscles are still achey. And as for the house.... nothing that a bulldozer and mass amount of skips couldn't sort out. Lol.
Aud
 
Thanks :) Dr just gave me more Tramadol and said i should stick with it. 3 weeks tomorrow, its flown by realy, 3 weeks till appointment with the clinic. xx
 
Hi Jo, I am the same as you. Operation on 5th March. I haven't had a lot of pain but I am taking Targins, slow release Tramadol, Cellobrex plus panadols. My pain management doctor told me that the panadols are actually quite good at helping control the pain. By themselves, not much use of course, but in conjuction with everything else, they help keep the pain at bay. Therefore I am taking them 4hourly through the day. I see my GP next week and we will be reducing the Targins, followed by the tramadols.
At my 6 week appointment with the surgeon, I hope to be able to walk unaided, and be taking panadols only.
Hope your pain is becoming bearable.
Ally
 
Hi Jo, I am the same as you. Operation on 5th March. I haven't had a lot of pain but I am taking Targins, slow release Tramadol, Cellobrex plus panadols. My pain management doctor told me that the panadols are actually quite good at helping control the pain. By themselves, not much use of course, but in conjuction with everything else, they help keep the pain at bay. Therefore I am taking them 4hourly through the day. I see my GP next week and we will be reducing the Targins, followed by the tramadols.
At my 6 week appointment with the surgeon, I hope to be able to walk unaided, and be taking panadols only.
Hope your pain is becoming bearable.
Ally

Hi Ally,

What sort of things do you do in the day? Hows your walking at the moment, have you tried walking in your home without anything? Loads of questions lol. I do like to hear how everyone is doing in their recovery, can you believe its been 3 weeks allready!! Im just about to post about my pain xx
 
Hi Guys,

The pain I am getting is in my groin, is this usual? as before no pain when sitting, just when walking, getting up, sitting down, moving in bed etc. Am I right in thinking im not going to get pain from the hip implant because its not mine so it must be muscle pain? It doesnt feel like muscle though. Strange! x
 
jojouk1983, That describes exactly what I have. Plus going upstairs but not down. From what I have read it is very common, because the muscles are weak. This should ease up once we are stronger.
Barbara
 
Hi groin pain is a common indicator of initial hip arthritis you then have the op and again the groin area is in a focal area of all the inner stitching and repairs that were made after the new hip is replaced ....and again can be a common source of pain....not the joint itself but the surrounding tissues...we just need to take the pain meds and do the exercises...we will be pain free just takes time...
 
Hi jojouk1983 & Allycat, I had my THR 5th of march as well. I do have the groin pain, but not very bad. I am still mostly using two crutches, and have just tried using one around the house. It still feels really odd, only a tiny bit painful, but when using one crutch I walk funny, favouring the new hip, so I'm thinking I'll continue with two crutches while I'm learning to walk straight again after so long limping around. I'm hoping to get my physio appointment shortly, so I can get some help with this. I feel like I'm lagging behind in getting rid of the crutches. On the plus side, there is almost no pain, just having 2 panadol twice daily. Still sleeping 1-2 hours during the day, most days.
 
Hi...yes I try one crutch and I go a little lop sided but it did give some confidence that I can do.it..I am currently doing 20 laps of the hallway which is very boring but the outside weather is poor :(
 
Hi clifford149

Shame about the weather, must be very hard trying to exercise inside. I'm very lucky, we are having a (rare) dry summer and even though autumn is coming the weather is still gorgeous. When did you have your surgery?
 
Hi octopus,....I am 13 days postop. My back garden is still quite with all the rain
..hence walking inside....winter came back in style this past week....roll on spring :)
 
Hi jojouk1983,
I’m not doing much during the day. Small amounts of housework: making the bed (not very well), doing the dishes and doing the wash – but that takes it out of me. I find that when I’m sitting I want to get up and do things, but when I do, I get puffed out and need to sit down again!
I have had a physio come to my house every 2nd day since the op. He watched me exercise, trained me how to walk first with crutches, then 1 crutch, then walking stick and now I get around slowly using nothing. He has shown me how to learn to walk normally again i.e. without a limp. Now all I need to do is practise. I don’t know about you, but for at least 6 months prior to surgery I was unable to walk at all without a walking stick – even in the house, so this is amazing to me. I still find it so hard to comprehend that the awful joint pain is simply gone.
I don’t have much pain at all. Initially all my pain was in my knee (rough treatment during surgery). Once that settled down, I had burning at the incision site, not too unbearable but I knew it was there. Now, I would have to say all I have is a nagging at the incision. Actually it’s becoming quite itchy at times.
octopus, I am amazed that you are only on panadols already! I’m still taking Targins, Tramadols and Celebrex, plus panadols 3 times a day. My GP will be reducing this next week, then maybe by the following week I hope to be on panadols and maybe just Celebrex (anti-inflammatory). On the upside, I haven’t needed extra pain meds to sleep at night. Prior to surgery, due to the cocktail of pain meds needed to keep me able to move, I was sleeping for up to 4hrs during the day, which then interfered with my night sleep. So I am trying to get my sleeping patterns back to normal. I have had a couple of days when I have had no day sleep at all.
clifford149, I used 1 crutch only for a couple of days because it felt weird, and just progressed to my trusty walking stick. I am now using that everywhere with confidence, and can walk quite fast. The struggle for me is losing the stick. I can walk without it, but am a bit scared(?) to lose it, it has been my friend for so long.
Sorry to ramble on…
Ally
 
Allycat, I was quite sick in the hospital from all the drugs, so by day three they said 'let's just try panadol and see how you do'. I was willing, anything to stop feeling and being sick. I have been amazed too that this is all I've needed. I have iced almost constantly for the first two weeks and being naturally lazy, have rested quite a bit. :heehee:
 
Hi Allycat,......sounds like you are doing great which is inspiring for us hippies who are coming up from behind...your pt sounds very thorough although your comments suggest you were not given any advice before surgery?
My is os one of these first track surgeons with training prior then op then home then pt visits...I live out of his area so my local pt takes over although not as an efficient process but am not complaining I got one of the top hip men in the UK :)
 
Hi Guys, thanks for responding its comforting to know im not alone, ive just got to stick it out. im glad it is common to have the groin pain after im not so worried now! xx
 
28 days post op and I've got severe groin pain - should I get it checked out? It's worse than ever especially when walking or moving. Jo x
 
Did you have the Groin Pain pre surgery...Groin Pain was my BIG issue and now since the surgery
no groin pain here...lots other issues but no groin pain...

I'm no expert for sure, do you have access to emailing your doc or his assistants, I was emailing them a lot for some of my issues...and they always got back to me...running to the doc with everything is not what I wanted to do....do you see your surgeon soon? jam
 
jojouk1983, Hi, have you done more than usual or reduced your meds? Either of those can cause pain to increase. Have you tried an ice pack? You could tag Josephine for advice. Hope it settles soon
Barbara
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom