THR I made it. At last!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you have a posterior or side incision? Because that would mean you would be on your side for the duration of the surgery. You made a comment earlier about them 'removing extra bone' which would seem to imply that your surgery took longer than the usual hour or so. In which case, it would be quite possible that your symptoms are caused by pressure from laying on your side. At this stage of your recovery, such symptoms are not at all uncommon.

Hi, it is a side incision, I was in theatre for approx 3 hours and on my back in recovery for over an hour, its a relief you say that as it is what the hospital think it is and ill not worry any more, it has been suggested i visit my gp for something to help with the never pain at night but ill give it a couple of days.

I take it you have no wound drain? If so, it is very common for there to be a lot of oozing or drainage. It's not actually bleeding, it's just free fluid that needs to find its way out. In time, the amount will reduce to the amount that can safely be reabsorbed by the body. Don't worry about it. The fluid has already left your circulatory system so isn't a problem from that point of view either.

No wound drain, they advised me today if the dressing leaks they will come and change it.

Then don't do it! It's far too early to be attempting it anyway. And cruel of them them to even make you try. It might be another week or even two before you can do this exercise but there's no rush. You muscles and tissues are freshly cut right now. Don't do anything that causes pain. In any case, mostly hips have a way of working out their own salvation. once you are about 4 weeks out and can start taking walks outside (weather permitting!) your muscle strength and functionality will soon return.

Ok, ill do what i can, thanks for reply Jo :)


Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
HI there. I hope you had a good mothers day - did it involve a lie in?!

I think that the slide-y leg exercise is generally thought of as the worst. I had a physio check up last week (about 10 days post op) and still couldn't do it. However I'm now up to 15 (silky pyjama bottoms help). The physio asked me to lift my operated leg - ha!
 
Hi Poppet,

I hadnt thought of that ill give it a go though it cant hurt to try!

I am on a recliner does that class as elevating? also i am using ice packs a few times a day.

Ive got 2x Tramadol 4 x daily, 2x Paracetamol 4 x daily and 1 ibroprophen 3x daily, to be honest i feel like i could do with more mostly in the night i feel im not managing it well enough at night.

Im just not sleeping well in my bed so think im going to sleep on the sofa tonight as im quite comfy on here xx
 
Jojouk, you shouldn't be toughing out any time of the day or night. If your meds aren't working please call your GP tomorrow. At this stage you need steady pain relief so you can get moving.

Sleep is a major problem for most post-op hippies. Don't fight it. Nap as much as you can during the day. Things will continue to improve.
 
Jo hospital OT said not to use the recliner. But I can't help it, it's so comfy. Lol. Hope your feeling better.

Aud
 
Hope you're going to feel better soon, Jo. It's tough at first, but it does get better, a bit at a time. Happy Mother's Day, we celebrate here in the states in mid-May. Best wishes and hugs coming your way across the pond.

-Susan
 
Thanks all, i know its been just over a week but i just cant see 6 weeks down the line at the moment, obviously i know it will come but I feel a bit alone now in the sense ive been given guidlines on when to ditch the crutches and when to remove the dressing and got my 6 week check up on 22nd April but i cant see how im going to be able to walk properly in another 2 weeks (was told to use them for 3 weeks from op) what is the norm? when will my leg start to feel normal? id like to hear other peoples stories. im finding it real tough with the kids my house isnt very tidy there are jobs that need doing that i cant go which is making me feel a bit crappy, i just keep thinking one day soon i will walk pain free and lead a normal life and its keeping me going xx
 
Sorry you are feeling low, the early days are really tough. Things will get better. I wouldn't worry about arbitrary timelines that are placed on your progress. Your body will heal on it's own schedule. Also don't try to rush things by putting in too much PT. You will know when it's time. I'm a bit over 2 weeks out and my leg doesn't feel "normal". The leg and range of motion get a tiny bit better every day, no leaps and bounds? Take care Jo

-Susan
 
Jo, from week one to two, i noticed a big difference. First week was really hard, tingling leg, painful walking, really uncomfortable sitting or lying. I just kept using ice and putting a pillow at the side. Week 2, every day felt different. Ok.... house is a tip, but i'll get to that. (just need a cage for the hubby and kids) House will be tidy then! It's been 16 days and i can get my knickers on like a big girl, grabbers are great. Get the kids to think they're really helping you... put my socks on please and if that fails... show them the scar and say.... look at this and you can't even help me! Worked wonders on my four year old.... Okay nightmares since, but he does what i tell him now. ( pity there's no devil smilie! lol)
Anyway, as i was saying, you will get better and you'll be so glad in the summer when you've healed beautifully. XXX
Aud.
 
Here's a devil smiley for you---I got it off Google images---have no idea how you'd type it

[Bonesmart.org] I made it. At last!
 
Hi everyone :) Thanks for the replies.

I cant help feeling that something isnt right! It is clear to me and other people when you look at my legs there is a differnece to my 'new' leg my knee is not in the same place which suggests it is longer then my 'good' leg (it also feels longer), before the op it was 2cm shorter, it is causing me discomfort. If i just stand normaly after a couple minutes i get pains in my bottom and my lower back, I can hobble without the crutches only a few steps but i have a terrible limp and quite a bit of pain in the hip and some in the groin, its different pain that what i had prior to the op. Is it that its just to soon? I am 16 days post op today. I can manage about the house with one crutch but its hard and hurts, should I just wait a couple more weeks? Should I see GP and up my pain meds? When I am sitting I have no pain which is lovely. Any suggestions welcome xx
 
Jo, from week one to two, i noticed a big difference. First week was really hard, tingling leg, painful walking, really uncomfortable sitting or lying. I just kept using ice and putting a pillow at the side. Week 2, every day felt different. Ok.... house is a tip, but i'll get to that. (just need a cage for the hubby and kids) House will be tidy then! It's been 16 days and i can get my knickers on like a big girl, grabbers are great. Get the kids to think they're really helping you... put my socks on please and if that fails... show them the scar and say.... look at this and you can't even help me! Worked wonders on my four year old.... Okay nightmares since, but he does what i tell him now. ( pity there's no devil smilie! lol)
Anyway, as i was saying, you will get better and you'll be so glad in the summer when you've healed beautifully. XXX
Aud.

A Cage would be perfect lol... My 6 y/o cant do enough to help she has been a godsend! As for the house i'm just having to deal with it! I'm into the 3rd week and the only difference is i can do more of my physio exercises but my eg doesnt feel any better from last week xx
 
Sorry you are feeling low, the early days are really tough. Things will get better. I wouldn't worry about arbitrary timelines that are placed on your progress. Your body will heal on it's own schedule. Also don't try to rush things by putting in too much PT. You will know when it's time. I'm a bit over 2 weeks out and my leg doesn't feel "normal". The leg and range of motion get a tiny bit better every day, no leaps and bounds? Take care Jo

-Susan

Hi Susan,

How are you getting on this week? Are you still using your crutches? xx
 
Hi Jo, sorry you are still struggling with the pain. Have you called the doctor's office and expressed your concern? I would do that. I always say "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" It may be that in surgery they had to do a good deal more work because of your earlier problems. Everyone heals at their own rate. Five days after surgery I noticed a sharp pain in my sides by my lowest rib and I thought "what did they do to me in surgery?". All kinds of bruises surfaced that could not be accounted for. I shutter to think of my body being wrenched about. Right now I walk in the house without a cane, but when I go out I take it with me. When I get tired, I start to limp and need it. I made great leaps in progress the first 2 weeks, but now things have leveled out a bit and the progress is slower. I've noticed how many different angry muscles are making themselves known in my leg, but it's not the awful bone on bone pain from before. I trust we will all get to a good place in the future whatever the different timetables our bodies use. Take care, sending prayers you way.

—Susan
 
Hi Jojo, If you are still not on top of the pain see your GP. Its fine to use crutches as long as you need them. I have low back pain when I stand more than half an hour at a time. Usually fixed by a sit down. I know it is hard to ignore the house being a tip but as long as you have no tripping hazards the dust isn't going to kill you. Barbara
 
Hi Jo, it's great that you have no pain whilst sitting. Perhaps you can call your GP about the pain whilst on the move. It is still very early days for you and if you have any pain or discomfort when walking then it is advisable to use both crutches when walking as you obviously need them. Try not to compare your recovery with anyone elses....I know that is difficult to do but we are all so different and heal at different rates. The crutches are there to help protect your new hardware while it settles in, to help with your walking and pain level. If you have pain when walking with no or only one aid then your body is telling you that it is not ready for that just yet. Hobbling along without the crutches is not the best thing to do.

Some of us are off the crutches within a couple of weeks, some months. It is best to use them when necessary as you don't want to get into the habit of limping and the crutches help you not to limp. I know it is hard as we just want rid of them but it's a game of patience these first couple of weeks/months but it is well worth it :)

As for the longer operated leg, this is very common, pretty much all of us had that occur after surgery. It will go back once things settle down, could take quite a few weeks but it will get better. You still have a heck of a lot of healing going on.

Take care, it does get much better, I promise you :)

Ann
 
Hi Jo, it's great that you have no pain whilst sitting. Perhaps you can call your GP about the pain whilst on the move. It is still very early days for you and if you have any pain or discomfort when walking then it is advisable to use both crutches when walking as you obviously need them. Try not to compare your recovery with anyone elses....I know that is difficult to do but we are all so different and heal at different rates. The crutches are there to help protect your new hardware while it settles in, to help with your walking and pain level. If you have pain when walking with no or only one aid then your body is telling you that it is not ready for that just yet. Hobbling along without the crutches is not the best thing to do.

Some of us are off the crutches within a couple of weeks, some months. It is best to use them when necessary as you don't want to get into the habit of limping and the crutches help you not to limp. I know it is hard as we just want rid of them but it's a game of patience these first couple of weeks/months but it is well worth it :)

As for the longer operated leg, this is very common, pretty much all of us had that occur after surgery. It will go back once things settle down, could take quite a few weeks but it will get better. You still have a heck of a lot of healing going on.

Take care, it does get much better, I promise you :)

Ann

Thanks Ann,

That does put my mind at rest, im going to book in with the GP first thing in the morning. I had thought that becaus i was young id be up and about in no time but it seems my body has other ideas! I am taking things easy and everyone is rallying round to help.

I do wish i could fast forward 6 months to my 'new' life and skip all this bit out (what a nice thought that is!)

Thank you for replying and making me feel better xx
 
Hi Jojo, If you are still not on top of the pain see your GP. Its fine to use crutches as long as you need them. I have low back pain when I stand more than half an hour at a time. Usually fixed by a sit down. I know it is hard to ignore the house being a tip but as long as you have no tripping hazards the dust isn't going to kill you. Barbara

Thanks Barbara, im going to book in with GP tomorrow im not sure the meds im on are working for me so hoping they can help me. I certainly dont think ill be able to hang up the crutches on Tuesday which is the 3 week mark I shall just keep going with them. The kids are great keeping my paths clear its just the general untidyness (ive not mentioned it because everyone is doing such a great job of taking care of me and the kids I dont want to give them extra stuff to do) Ill just deal with it 'grin and bear it' as they say! Ive got my 30th Birthday a week on Sat to look forward to. Thank you for replying xx
 
Hi Jo, sorry you are still struggling with the pain. Have you called the doctor's office and expressed your concern? I would do that. I always say "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" It may be that in surgery they had to do a good deal more work because of your earlier problems. Everyone heals at their own rate. Five days after surgery I noticed a sharp pain in my sides by my lowest rib and I thought "what did they do to me in surgery?". All kinds of bruises surfaced that could not be accounted for. I shutter to think of my body being wrenched about. Right now I walk in the house without a cane, but when I go out I take it with me. When I get tired, I start to limp and need it. I made great leaps in progress the first 2 weeks, but now things have leveled out a bit and the progress is slower. I've noticed how many different angry muscles are making themselves known in my leg, but it's not the awful bone on bone pain from before. I trust we will all get to a good place in the future whatever the different timetables our bodies use. Take care, sending prayers you way.

—Susan
Hi Susan,

Im booking in with the GP in the morning. Regarding the surgery they removed a piece of bone and had to cut through the old scar tissue so not a normal THR, I had thought due to my age id be up and about in no time but its deff not the case. I too had bruises which must have been from the throwing about in surgery lol. Its great your getting about in the house, im sure it wont be long before you can ditch them completely. Do you usualy work? Thanks for replying :) xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom